Should obese people who can't fit in 1 seat pay for 2?

Options

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've had to sit next to an extremely obese person on a three hour flight. He lifted up the arm rest between us and took up at least a third of my seat. I don't like strangers touching me, but in this case, I had absolutely no choice. There were only two seats on the side I was sitting on and I was on the window seat. I hugged the window the entire flight. It was really unfair to me, but the flight was full, so I couldn't move. I wish I had thought to ask for a refund on my ticket. And I wish airlines would make larger seats available to larger people.
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    My first flight was on a Delta plane. The seats are so small and I felt like I was being squished. I sat in the middle of two other women that were not any bigger than I was and we all fit okay but come give a girl some hip room. My hips are big and that is not going to change much no matter how much weight I lose. I understand that they have a weight limit on the plane and such. They should also have a weight limit to each seat. This would mean that anyone over that amount would have to pay for another seat or so because the pilot has to take that into account as well. However, I am pretty sure that they would make the weight extremely low per seat and then everyone would have to pay for two seats.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If you need two seats, you should pay for two, on a full flight. However, if the flight isn't full, I think the airline should let the passenger fly with a single seat rate.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly reasonable. If I was to take up an extra seat with a suitcase, I would have to pay for it.
    You want to take up an extra seat with your *kitten*? You pay for it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    this happened to someone i know. luckily they were able to shuffle seats so that she didnt have to pay, but it was a HUGE slap in the face for her about her weight

unfortunate situation and embarrassing. i dont know what the correct thing to do is, because i see both sides of the argument.
    The correct thing to do is make the policy clear upon the purchase of the seat, and handle situations on-plane with respect and dignity. The passengers need to comply with the policy too.

Yeah, right. Passengers will willingly admit they are too big and offer to buy two seats....:laugh:

That's easily got round, when booking the seats, passengers are advised that obese people will be charged for two seats. If the passenger does not do so, their weight will come to the attention when they actually book in and they will then be charged the extra or they don't fly.

So they can deny or be in denial all they wish, but in the end they will be seen face-to-face and will, eventually have to pay.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Yes if you put them in the aisle seats they block the beverage cart. If they're in the window seat and take up 2 seats, Sorry hoss pay up!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmwF4gSWvf5iW0JA_CW-rPjiXbVP0A8kvHUq8z3K3URKlk4UsM

Didn't that particular case end up with the bloke in that middle seat getting off the plane, so the obese bloke had two seats?

Whatever the case, him sitting on the armrest like that was a complete and utter safety hazard.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I read an article where a lady on an airplane had to pay for two seats since she couldn't fit in one. So I want to know what your opinion is on obese people who can't fit in one seat, should they pay for two?

Plane occupancy is one of the things that fares are based on. If a person requires two seats, he/she should pay for two seats. Why should the rest of the passengers absorb the cost?
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    My husband is a large man, not obese. He's 6'2", very muscular, so he takes up more space than the average person. I guess he could be charged extra, too. I'm glad he isn't or we would never be able to visit family, expensive enough as it is.
    I just wish they would design the seats to be a tad more accomodating. Not everyone is a 12 year old girl.

I was just thinking I've had more space issues being in a seat next to a really tall buy that wasn't obese but just naturally broader of build and healthier when flying than I've ever had with a big person next to me. But, if you don't fit in a movie theater seat then there's a pretty good chance you're not going to fit on a single plane seat and i agree (even as a big girl) if you really do take up two seats then you really do need to buy two seats.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Its business nothing personal. If you occupy 2 seats then of course you should pay. Just like those who choose to suck on cancer sticks(cigarettes) all day should pay more in healthcare and higher cigarette tax.

Ok...so EVRYONE chooses to be fat??? Really?? I guess fat people have extra money laying around in their cheeseburger stash. It's people like this that cause suicide in obese people!! You are judgmental, rude & inconsiderate.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but seriously? Telling someone that they are the type of person that cause suicide in obese people based off of one comment that they posted? You don't think that comment of yours was "judgmental, rude & inconsiderate"?

I agree with you its being so rude. Do obese people are that shallow to commit suicide just by that comment alone? Of course not. And YES WE CHOOSE TO BE FAT so stop blaming your bad genes or medical condition. Those are just lame excuses. Yes they can make weight loss a bit more difficult but c'mon it doesn't make one that big that he/she needs to have 2 seats. Obesity is the result of too much calorie consumption + sedentary lifestyle. Just because you have bad genes or medical condition doesn't mean you won't lose weight with that condition. Believe me I have PCOS & was diagnosed last 2009 when I was still on my highest weight with BMI of 32 (obese) & 43% BF but still I managed to lose 22 kilos or 50 pounds after 3 years & now my BMI is around 22 & body fat at 20%. Yes it will take a lot more hard work but definitely anyone can lose or gain weight if we want to.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Here's a connected question. On some flights you get a very small baggage allowance included in the ticket - if it goes over the weight you pay a whopping extra charge (or you do in the UK at least).

If you're a skinny person paying extra for your bag being a pound or two overweight, but you AND your bag together weigh less than the much larger person checking in after you, is that unfair? Instead of just bags being weighed, should we AND our bags get on the scale?

This has started to become a bone of contention and many people are starting to ask the same thing.

Good point!
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Should someone who opts to stand be given a flight for free?
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it IS fair that they pay for two. If they're using two, they should pay for two. Likewise if they only need one, they pay for one. Each seat costs money.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    this happened to someone i know. luckily they were able to shuffle seats so that she didnt have to pay, but it was a HUGE slap in the face for her about her weight

unfortunate situation and embarrassing. i dont know what the correct thing to do is, because i see both sides of the argument.
    The correct thing to do is make the policy clear upon the purchase of the seat, and handle situations on-plane with respect and dignity. The passengers need to comply with the policy too.

Agree...it's not the airline's fault if someone needs to use two seats. Why should they have to take the loss b/c someone
    takes up both seats? But the person should know ahead of time to avoid humiliation on the plane.
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    Riding a train monday through friday I say yes.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

What a stupid question.
  • Di3012
    Options

No, because standing is not an option ;)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

LMAO!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yup. Fine with me.
  • dtwflygirl
    Options
    When you are taking up two seats, why should you not have to pay for them? With flight loads going up, there are rarely open seats available to move someone so that the obese person is not encroaching on the space that the person next to them paid for. You may not think it's fair, but look at it from the person's point of view who can fit in their seat, paid for it, but basically have to share it because the person next to them can't fit in theirs. It's not fair to that person to be crowded and uncomfortable. They're not paying any less so someone else can use half their seat.
This discussion has been closed.