bummmmp
  • thedudetteusa
    thedudetteusa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can also mix it with millet - also a grain but it's super cheap and really tasty. I made this salad with it that was AMAZING and it made a ton! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/millet-salad-with-sweet-corn-avocado-10000000320068/
  • rawness1127
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I include cooked quinoa in my chicken salad recipe (serves 2-3, depending on how fat you want to pack your tortilla):

4 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast -- boiled (in water only) and shredded
    ¼ cup walnuts
    ¼ cup cooked quinoa
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    ¼ tsp coarse kosher salt
    1/3 cup dried cranberries (I use Eden Organic)
    10 pieces dried apricots (I use Sunridge Farms)
    4 oz plain and non-fat Greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
    3 whole wheat tortillas (I use Latortilla Factory)

Nutrition info per serving (if you make this recipe for 3 servings):
    334 calories
    50g carbs
    16g fiber
    11g fat
    22g protein
    562mg sodium

Sorry could you clarify... are all three tortillas the serving or is one tortilla a serving? Thanks

It's one tortilla a serving. Sorry, my bad. :)
  • damndeedee
    damndeedee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found this really cool recipie for quinoa pancakes! I modified it a little to make it healthier and it was great. Gives the pancakes a reallly puffy texture.
    http://ducksoven.blogspot.com/2012/04/quinoa-pancakes-with-strawberries-and.html?m=1
  • dixiecup19
    dixiecup19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    bumping also.

my favorite thing about quinoa (besides all the protein and stuff) is saying it....

keen-WA

keen-WA

a fun word.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas too :))
  • k_lambert_98
    Options
    :smile:
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've had this stuff in my cupboard and had no idea what to do with it, this is excellent!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If you're on facebook, "like" QUINOA CORPORATION.
  • darstus
    darstus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • mijam
    mijam Posts: 7
    Options
    I love quinoa! I add all sorts of different seasonings. I just made some and put roasted sweet potatoes(or buttnernut squash), black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. Super good. Or I use it as a sort of breakfast "oatmeal" with a sprinkle of brown sugar, cinnamon, and unsweetened almond milk. Or put in some fruit and agave nectar.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bomp
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My favorite quinoa recipe its great to make up a batch and have in the fridge for those times your looking for a quick add to meals..... I do the recipe as a guideline for 6 cups is an insane amount. Usually do 1-2 cups quinoa and then add more of the veggies so that its veggie packed.
    QUINOA PILAF
    1/2 cup carrot, diced 6 cups quinoa, cooked (basic recipe)
    1/2 cup green onion, diced 1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup celery, diced 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/4 cup green pepper, diced 1 cup almonds, sliced
    1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced 1/4 tsp oregano
    salt to taste

Sauté chopped vegetables in olive oil until clear, yet crisp: stir in oregano. Add sautéed vegetables to cooked, hot quinoa, mixing well. Add salt to taste. Dry-roast almonds in heavy skillet until lightly golden. Add almonds and mix. Serves 6-8. Quinoa pilaf served as a side dish with fish or chicken is delicious. Vary the pilaf using your favorite vegetables, or by cooking the quinoa in chicken, fish or vegetable stock instead of water.

The Basic Quinoa Recipe

This light and wholesome grain may be prepared quickly and easily with this basic method. 2 cups water 1 cup quinoa
    Place quinoa and water in a 1-½ quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

You will know that the quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Makes 3 cups.

To prepare in a rice cooker, simply treat quinoa like rice. Add two parts water to one part quinoa, stir, cover (unlike rice you can stir quinoa a few times while cooking to prevent burning in the bottom of the pan) and when the cooker shuts off, the quinoa is done.

http://www.quinoa.net/181.html where the recipes are from

I have cooked quinoa with chicken and beef broth depending on what I am serving it with. Also tried adding a dash of teriyaki to the cooking water. Favs are the chicken and teriyaki. The beef was alright hubby liked it but he is a steak man through and through.

Also have used quinoa in a stuffed pepper in place of the rice. Pretty much my rule of thumb is if you have a recipe where they use rice try with quinoa chances are it will be a great change.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    QUINOA PUDDING

1 1/4 cups 2% milk
    1/2 cup fat free half & half
    1/4 cup Splenda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve and well drained
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or paste (or a vanilla bean, split and scraped)

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream + 1 tablespoon Splenda

Cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, pumpkin pie spice, lemon or orange zest, brandy extract, etc.

In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring milk and half & half to a boil. Add the Splenda, salt, quinoa, and vanilla extract / paste.
    Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 min, stirring frequently. Cool.

Transfer to a dish, and chill, completely. Whip the 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 tablespoon Splenda until quite stiff; fold into the chilled pudding.

(You may eat it warm before adding the whipped cream, but it’s SO good after!)

Makes approx 6 servings (1/3 cup each)

Per Serving: Calories 130; Protein 5 g; Fat 4 g; NET Carbs 16 g; (Fiber 1 g); Sugar 6 g; Sodium 140 mg
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you can find it I use Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes and add it to some steel cut Oats (I use McCann's). I find this makes for a great texture and the flavor is very good. I like Quinoa okay by itself okay but I'm not crazy about it. I've experimented with various combinations and usually about 2/3 oats to 1/3 Quinoa flakes makes a good hot cereal with extra protein. The quinoa cooks faster so add it after the oats have cooked a little or if you want to make it easier just make them both separately according to the package directions and mix them.

I've also used it in whole wheat banana nut muffins. I don't have the recipe written down anywhere, it is my own invention though inspired from several others I've seen. I'll try to recall it from memory but I can't promise I'll get it correct. Use the "muffin method" as you would for any muffin or quickbread recipe.

4 ounces whole wheat flour
    2 ounces bread flour (extra gluten to make up for whole wheat four)
    2 ounces quinoa flakes (Ancient Harvest)
    4 ounces sweetener ( if you use sugar use 4 oz., honey is a little more, stevia is about the same, up to you)
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    6 ounces milk
    1 cup mashed bananas
    1/2 cup walnuts (pieces)
    4 ounces egg beaters (egg substitute)
    4 ounces unsweetened applesauce. I use a raw organic applesauce that has nothing in it but apples.

I sometimes add nutmeg and cinnamon but I don't know how much. Use your best judgement (be careful with the nutmeg, it is easy to over do it).

Don't be afraid to play with this recipe. I think it would come out great as is but I'm always trying variations. I hear there is something from Bob's Red Mill that you can add to increase the gluten (I can't remember what it is called). That should make the bread flour unnecessary altogether. Though I haven't tried it yet. If you use honey to sweeten, I'd suggest a really good quality wildflower honey like Bee Natural Honey - Nature's Finest Wildflower Unfiltered Uncooked Honey.