ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, I want to read this whole thread, when the family is not demanding all my time!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am a lot like you with weight and height.. I am struggling right now with how much to eat to lose about 5 pounds and still maintain enough to do my training for my half marathon next month.
    I went out and bought a heart rate monitor, and I am really surprised! The amount of calories with MFP and my gym's equipment is really overestimated compared to my heart rate monitor. In fact, it reads close to 1/2 to 2/3 what those other things say. That has been a huge eye opener for me.
    This past week, I have tried to be on the amount of calories that my BMR plus my activity level and don't eat back any calories because they are already factored in. I, at least, have stayed within the same pound all week long. That has been not the case for previous weeks.
    I hope this helps!
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Thank you in advance!!

So I am wondering how many calories I should eat daily and also how to begin weight training outside of a gym!!

So Im 18 years old
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Goal Weight: 130lbs ish
    Activity level: Sedintary

I have a HRM, so whenever I exercise i have an accurate burn, I just dont know where to start calorie wise! And ideas?

Also I would love to start weight training, but Have no access to a gym so I was wondering how I go about it at home. How many reps etc!!

I exercise about 3 days a week burning only around 200 cals each time. School finishes in 2 months so exercise will increase greatly after that!!

Once again I appreciate any help, and congrats on your success!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump for later x
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Oh thank you what a nice thing to do....

I'd love to know if I should carry on with strength training 3 days a week + Cardio 3 times a week, if I'm still trying to lose weight to get to my desired weight? Or should I concentrate on cardio alone then bring in strength/

Thank you

That's a sound plan. Remember the key to weight loss is of course your diet and not workout plan.

Cardio increases your energy expenditure, and strength training brings about positive changes in net body composition.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, definately 80 % Diet 20% exercise :-)
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Im looking for another opinion on my calories...Im 5ft 2 (just) and 30 years old. I weigh Currently about 178 lbs aiming to be around 140ish. I have lost 29 lbs since January. I work out 6 times a week a Mixture of cardio ( aerobics and running) and Weights. I have my Calories currently set at 1330. 1 lb loss a week. I have stalled out a little the last couple of weeks. I had a small loss last week after nothing for 2 weeks. But I'm thinking that I'm not eating enough. I try to eat back my exercise calories. Some days it doesn't happen and I net under 1200. I work in retail so I am on my feet at least 5 hours a day non stop. So sometime eating a snack at work consists of a protein shake or a piece of fruit. And I don't like to eat HUGE meals at night. What are your thoughts on my calories and loss. I ideally would like to lose 1-2 lbs a week. My diary is open if you would like to look. :)

Thanks for reading.

Go back to double checking your intake. If it's correct, you're likely just holding onto water weight, which is masking fat loss. Try increasing your potassium intake to see if it will get you to drop some water weight you've likely been storing.

Thanks. Will get some potassium . :)
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been on a very slow post cancer weightloss/fitness build up over the past 5 years, losing between 12-20 pounds a year. I have also done a gradual steady increase in aerobic and strength training activity. I am working through a back injury which came on gradually. I cannot exercise the way I did before. I believe it will be about a month to six weeks before I can reach normal activity. I am approximately 10 lbs/1 clothing size away from my weight goal. I do not wish to backslide. Do you have any advice on what formula I should use to set my calorie goals to maintain or even lose very minimalistically (a pound or so a month)?
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    [/quote]
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, definately 80 % Diet 20% exercise :-)
    [/quote]

I've only just recently accepted this. I thought your diet didn't matter providing you were working out. In the voice of Judge Judy, "WRONG"!!! :laugh:
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

crunch, crunch, crunch, V-ups, planks, squats.Circuit training/ Core and Strength classes

Thank you. I've done Insanity 3 times (just finished 3rd one today) and I'm on round 2 20-weeks turbofire :sad:
    I know you wrote you ate good. But do you avoid sugar except those found in fruits, veggies and dairy?
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Bump-will read later. :smile:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

I know you wrote you ate good. But do you avoid sugar except those found in fruits, veggies and dairy?

My food diary is open. Please have a gander :wink:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

I don't drink tea any more so no added sugar to that and I've stopped adding sugar to my morning porridge :wink:
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I don't drink tea any more so no added sugar to that and I've stopped adding sugar to my morning porridge :wink:
    why dont you switch out something and start following your sugars for a few weeks?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

why dont you switch out something and start following your sugars for a few weeks?

Stop making sweeping statements about sugars. All carbs are broken down to glucose (except for fiber). Sugar is not bad for weight loss while in a calorie deficit. Please stop posting about sugar in this thread. There are plenty of other threads you can talk about sugar in.
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

Sugar is not bad for weight loss while in a calorie deficit.

That's good to know.