ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump want to follow this. At last someone who wants to help ones with out biting there heads off. Appreciate it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I know you wrote you ate good. But do you avoid sugar except those found in fruits, veggies and dairy?

My food diary is open. Please have a gander :wink:

I had a quick look at your diary and some of the calories in the foods look really low. Users can add to the database and they often get them wrong - look for the ones with the most confirmations and/or check them against the labels. Also, make sure you measure (preferably weigh) everything and not eyeball

• joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    secrets? do share
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

I had a quick look at your diary and some of the calories in the foods look really low. Users can add to the database and they often get them wrong - look for the ones with the most confirmations and/or check them against the labels. Also, make sure you measure (preferably weigh) everything and not eyeball

OK thanks. So I'm eating too much??? :embarassed:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

OK thanks. So I'm eating too much??? :embarassed:

I do not know - you were under your calories for most days - but without an accurate log its hard to tell. So, maybe, maybe not...sorry, not very helpful response there!!
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

I do not know - you were under your calories for most days - but without an accurate log its hard to tell. So, maybe, maybe not...sorry, not very helpful response there!!

T'is alright. Thanks anyway :smile:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Make sur to roughly know how much you hit per week. An isolated day is useless. Try to eat an consistent levels, or use the MFP weekly summary :-)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I know you wrote you ate good. But do you avoid sugar except those found in fruits, veggies and dairy?

I don't drink tea any more so no added sugar to that and I've stopped adding sugar to my morning porridge :wink:
    why dont you switch out something and start following your sugars for a few weeks?
    Ok, sorry. I was reading along and wanted to just throw that in there. But I apologize.
    Stop making sweeping statements about sugars. All carbs are broken down to glucose (except for fiber). Sugar is not bad for weight loss while in a calorie deficit. Please stop posting about sugar in this thread. There are plenty of other threads you can talk about sugar in.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I don't drink tea any more so no added sugar to that and I've stopped adding sugar to my morning porridge :wink:
    why dont you switch out something and start following your sugars for a few weeks?
    Ok, sorry. I was reading along and wanted to just throw that in there. But I apologize.
    Stop making sweeping statements about sugars. All carbs are broken down to glucose (except for fiber). Sugar is not bad for weight loss while in a calorie deficit. Please stop posting about sugar in this thread. There are plenty of other threads you can talk about sugar in.
    Ok, sorry. I was reading along and wanted to just throw that in there. But I apologize
  • sdm329
    sdm329 Posts: 57
    Options
    bump
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    need to read this later
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Great advice, I especially love "don't listen to the compliments"!

Nothing is guaranteed. You just have to want it. I had a burning desire to lose this weight once and for all. I obsessed over it. I learned everything I could about it.

Don't listen to the compliments. Don't reward yourself with food. Stay focused on your goals. Take it one day at a time as cliche as that sounds. If you mess up, get right back on the horse tomorrow. Don't turn a meal into a bad day or into a bad week.
  • MsBrwnSugga
    MsBrwnSugga Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weightloss journey!
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have weighed in the low to mid 150's for years. I gained about 20 pounds and have lost it in about 3 months using MFP. Now I am stuck at the low 150's. Does this mean that my body likes being at this weight and that I cannot lose the weight I would like to? How would I go about losing this?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Ok, sorry. I was reading along and wanted to just throw that in there. But I apologize

I think you were thinking since most of her weight stored in belly decreasing carbohydrates may be helpful.
  • perficio
    perficio Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've lost a lot of weight recently, and it sounds silly, but I still haven't figured out the whole diet thing. If you will message me, I can give you a pwd to look at my food diary. I eat 1300 calories per day, and try to get about 400 calories worth of cardio in. But I have iron deficiency, feel exhausted and tired all the time(dizzy sometimes) and am always hungry. I eat lots of veggies and lentils. I try to drink herbal teas and water throughout the day. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure if I can answer your question with the info you provided? Need to be clear about what you are asking me? I can't answer ambiguous questions like this.

Okay, apologies, will try to be more specific here.
    I am trying to lose about 10-12 pounds more in a healthy way. I am a vegetarian, and as a general rule, also avoid milk and eggs. I am currently training for a half marathon while trying to keep my caloric intake restricted to about 1300-1400 calories so that I can continue to lose weight.
    1. I have iron deficiency and feel exhausted a lot while exercising. How can I increase my iron intake on a vegetarian diet?
    2. Have you found, at any point during your weight loss journey, that your fitness and diet regimen has affected your brain function. By this, I mean, low mental energy, inability to focus, or perform to your peak level? If so, how did you combat it?
    3. I am 5'6'' tall, and my Body Fat percentage currently is about 24-25%. Is there a goal body fat percentage I should target to be fit?

Please let me know if this is more unambiguous. Thanks for your help.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Thank you in advance!!

So I am wondering how many calories I should eat daily and also how to begin weight training outside of a gym!!

So Im 18 years old
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Goal Weight: 130lbs ish
    Activity level: Sedintary

I have a HRM, so whenever I exercise i have an accurate burn, I just dont know where to start calorie wise! And ideas?

Also I would love to start weight training, but Have no access to a gym so I was wondering how I go about it at home. How many reps etc!!

I exercise about 3 days a week burning only around 200 cals each time. School finishes in 2 months so exercise will increase greatly after that!!

Once again I appreciate any help, and congrats on your success!

You should be good on about 1500 per day I'd guess. If you must workout at home, you could get P90X or something like that or if you don't have the money for that, simply do some calisthenics.

Here's some great suggestions

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw2.htm
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've lost a lot of weight recently, and it sounds silly, but I still haven't figured out the whole diet thing. If you will message me, I can give you a pwd to look at my food diary. I eat 1300 calories per day, and try to get about 400 calories worth of cardio in. But I have iron deficiency, feel exhausted and tired all the time(dizzy sometimes) and am always hungry. I eat lots of veggies and lentils. I try to drink herbal teas and water throughout the day. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure if I can answer your question with the info you provided? Need to be clear about what you are asking me? I can't answer ambiguous questions like this.

I am trying to lose about 10-12 pounds more in a healthy way. I am a vegetarian, and as a general rule, also avoid milk and eggs. I am currently training for a half marathon while trying to keep my caloric intake restricted to about 1300-1400 calories so that I can continue to lose weight.
    1. I have iron deficiency and feel exhausted a lot while exercising. How can I increase my iron intake on a vegetarian diet?
    2. Have you found, at any point during your weight loss journey, that your fitness and diet regimen has affected your brain function. By this, I mean, low mental energy, inability to focus, or perform to your peak level? If so, how did you combat it?
    3. I am 5'6'' tall, and my Body Fat percentage currently is about 24-25%. Is there a goal body fat percentage I should target to be fit?

1. Are you under the care of a physician? Not sure of many iron rich foods that are non meat off the top of my head. Do you take iron supplements?
    2. Yes, some days I feel not as sharp as others. It's never really bad, though.
    3. That's a subjective # you'll have to figure out what type of body you want. I would as a general rule of thumb say low 20's on women and low teens on men.

It's difficult to train for running events and maintain/improve body composition. You really need to focus on one or the other at a time. If you are training for running events, you need the extra food and carbs to full your muscle/refill your glycogen levels. Eat enough to try to maintain your weight while training for a run event IMO.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1. Are you under the care of a physician? Not sure of many iron rich foods that are non meat off the top of my head. Do you take iron supplements?
    2. Yes, some days I feel not as sharp as others. It's never really bad, though.
    3. That's a subjective # you'll have to figure out what type of body you want. I would as a general rule of thumb say low 20's on women and low teens on men.

It's difficult to train for running events and maintain/improve body composition. You really need to focus on one or the other at a time. If you are training for running events, you need the extra food and carbs to full your muscle/refill your glycogen levels. Eat enough to try to maintain your weight while training for a run event IMO.

Just jumping in here as I am a vegetarian with a slight iron deficiency - good foods are fortified cereal (cereals like Special K and Weetabix have really high iron), spinach, beans, cashews, lentils, oatmeal, raisins, chickpeas, tempeh and whole-wheat bread.
  • betholiver
    Options
    bump