ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    seriously I dont know if this is an issue with other people , but I yoyo between heavy and then anorexially skinny.. I feel heavier now and want to tone up and lose some weight but I have a number in mind say 135-140.. but then I get there an I look frail and skinny, I am 5'6 and I have rather large breast how much weight is in them..( *they stay consistently large despite other weight fluctuations ) and then how do I figure out a good target weight..? I think im slightly BDD * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder as the only time I think I can gauge my weight size, and make it be proportional is when I see pictures unfortunately I like it a little more concrete.. does anyone else have this issue ..?... ??? HELP!!!
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am getting confused reading all these posts about my calorie intake!! MFP had me at 1200, but I adjusted that b/c I read I am not supposed to eat below my BMR. My BMR is 1356.8. I am trying to lose 10 lbs or body fat, whatever to tone up my stomach area and tighten that back up after 2 kids. So, is it correct that I eat 1356.8 cals and then eat back any exercise calories on top of that number? I am having a hard time losing the extra weight. I am at my pre-prego weight and in my old sizes, but things are not hanging the same and my stomach is just a mess!! Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks and congrats on your awesome transformation!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting yourself out there! I'm most excited because you are the first "lean gainer" I have found on MFP =)

I just recently started heavy lifting using NROLFW... I'm lifting about 12:30 pm MWF, do u think I should jump in on this fasted right away? And what BCAAs are u taking? I believe LGs recommends a 10 hour window for women ( I used to do this daily, but have gotten out of the habit)..

Thanks ahead of time for your reply =)

Sure why not? I personally use a 5g scoop of L-Luecine powder PWO. It's cheaper than BCAA's and I've been doing it for a while now, so it's a habit. :)

I thought it was a 14 hour window for women???

Well I meant 10 hour feed, 14 hour fast~ I just said it backwards =) Oh and thanks for the L-Luecine idea !
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    Wow! This really is SO generous of you, especially since I am SURE, some of these questions are repeats...after 12 pages, I can't read them all :)

My question is this: what really IS Starvation Mode and how quickly does it come on? I ask because when I am hosting a family event in my home, with 4 little kids and homeschooling to do, I may miss a meal or two during the super busy days...I'm not intending to skip meals, it's just happens.

Second: are all calories created equal? I'm not talking about nutrition here, just the basic idea that if I save 200 calories to eat each night for a sweet of some kind (say 2 Thin Mints @ 160 calories), am I really messing myself up?

Last: I KNOW this has been discussed at GREAT length, but what is YOUR thoughts on eating your exercise calories? I usually eat them, but am really torn about the subject. No excuses here, but I don't get to workout regularly (at least not at the gym...I pretty much never sit at home, but that's another can of worms :)), so I feel like, when I burn those large number of calories (500 or so), it should be okay to eat them...but am I OBLIGATED? Such a hard decision?

I have 7-10 pounds I have lost and gained over the last 3 or so years. I always wonder if because it's such a small number if that is why it's so hard to lose??? I eat a healthy diet and record everything as best I can, overestimating when not sure.

I appreciate your help...again, super generous of you!
    Megan
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    BW January this year 152
    CW 135
    GW 130 (depends on how I look and feel)
    weight 5'6.5''
    30% fat per bod pod
    I do zumba and going to start lifting as of today
    I eat around 1300 cals a day and eat a little bit of my work out cals back

MY QUESTION, I dont weigh ALOT but I have a high body fat %, what is best to make this go down and tone up? Am I eating the right amount of cals? What are the best workouts to sculpt with limited amount of time (3 times a week with an hour per day for weights alone)? I have hit a wall with loosing weight and need to rev it back up again. THANKS
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    seriously I dont know if this is an issue with other people , but I yoyo between heavy and then anorexially skinny.. I feel heavier now and want to tone up and lose some weight but I have a number in mind say 135-140.. but then I get there an I look frail and skinny, I am 5'6 and I have rather large breast how much weight is in them..( *they stay consistently large despite other weight fluctuations ) and then how do I figure out a good target weight..? I think im slightly BDD * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder as the only time I think I can gauge my weight size, and make it be proportional is when I see pictures unfortunately I like it a little more concrete.. does anyone else have this issue ..?... ??? HELP!!!

Almost all of us who diet down to very lean levels of body fat (the first time) realize two things: 1. You are far fatter than you ever thought, and 2. You have less muscle than you thought.

I like this quote..A smart man wrote this: "In the end we are all very similar. With the exception of a few genetic freaks we all end up in a very narrow weight distribution with low body fats. (your not a freak or you wouldn't be here) Don't be discouraged by this, it just means it will take a bit longer and you can improve that much more."

The only thing you can do to improve the way you look at low body fat is by doing strength training and increasing muscle mass. Many people get really lean and they don't like their body. They look too skinny, or frail.

Sometimes all you can do is to slowly gain some weight back and build some muscle and then re-lose the weight a 2nd time, but do it at a slower and more controlled pace.
  • Sublog
    Options
    Okay, I am getting confused reading all these posts about my calorie intake!! MFP had me at 1200, but I adjusted that b/c I read I am not supposed to eat below my BMR. My BMR is 1356.8. I am trying to lose 10 lbs or body fat, whatever to tone up my stomach area and tighten that back up after 2 kids. So, is it correct that I eat 1356.8 cals and then eat back any exercise calories on top of that number? I am having a hard time losing the extra weight. I am at my pre-prego weight and in my old sizes, but things are not hanging the same and my stomach is just a mess!! Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks and congrats on your awesome transformation!
    Your skin is a living organ. It takes time to readjust to your smaller size. It should slowly over time tighten up and start to look better.
  • Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    the basics
    37 year old male, 70 inches tall, current weight 235 pounds.
    Originally weighed 325 pounds, so have lost about 100 pounds. Have been around 235 or so for about 6 months, now trying to break this plateau… goal weight is about 210 pounds (15% bodyfat)
    I work out on average of 5-6 days a week with cardio and some type of weight training. 45-120 mins of cardio depending on the day.
    weight training 3-4 days a week alternating days/
    My diary is open so please look and offer advice.
    MFP has my calories at 1670 a day
    My main issues - I haven’t seen any weight loss in a month of using MFP. I am eating healthy and clean but looking to kick start the weight loss again. Need some help!!

So the main question is – how many calories should I eat daily to lose weight??? would like to lose 1-2 pounds a week if possible?

BMR and TDEE info from FRF2
    From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 210 lbs.
    Harris-Benedict Formula
    your current BMR is 2167 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    at BF percentage of 24%, you have a lean body mass of 179 lbs., and your BMR is 2127 calories

TDEE
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2414
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2767
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 3119 <
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3471 <<<
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3823
  • Sublog
    Options
    Wow! This really is SO generous of you, especially since I am SURE, some of these questions are repeats...after 12 pages, I can't read them all :)

My question is this: what really IS Starvation Mode and how quickly does it come on? I ask because when I am hosting a family event in my home, with 4 little kids and homeschooling to do, I may miss a meal or two during the super busy days...I'm not intending to skip meals, it's just happens.

Second: are all calories created equal? I'm not talking about nutrition here, just the basic idea that if I save 200 calories to eat each night for a sweet of some kind (say 2 Thin Mints @ 160 calories), am I really messing myself up?

Last: I KNOW this has been discussed at GREAT length, but what is YOUR thoughts on eating your exercise calories? I usually eat them, but am really torn about the subject. No excuses here, but I don't get to workout regularly (at least not at the gym...I pretty much never sit at home, but that's another can of worms :)), so I feel like, when I burn those large number of calories (500 or so), it should be okay to eat them...but am I OBLIGATED? Such a hard decision?

I have 7-10 pounds I have lost and gained over the last 3 or so years. I always wonder if because it's such a small number if that is why it's so hard to lose??? I eat a healthy diet and record everything as best I can, overestimating when not sure.

I appreciate your help...again, super generous of you!
    Megan

Starvation mode - read this link (great read overall as well) :

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode

Are all calories created equal - that's a tough one. Some calories are more nutritionally dense (vitamins and minerals), and others are more satiating. In the end, weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. Eating some thin mints at the end of your day will not ruin your diet at all.

Just ensure your meeting your calorie/macro-nutrient goals and eat a diet rich in whole foods to secure micro nutrient sufficiency. If you have extra calories left over, use them as you wish. Diets are something you need to live with. Fit foods into your diet you like and you'll have a less chance to binge.

Here's a great article on the subject

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Sublog
    Options
    BW January this year 152
    CW 135
    GW 130 (depends on how I look and feel)
    weight 5'6.5''
    30% fat per bod pod
    I do zumba and going to start lifting as of today
    I eat around 1300 cals a day and eat a little bit of my work out cals back

MY QUESTION, I dont weigh ALOT but I have a high body fat %, what is best to make this go down and tone up? Am I eating the right amount of cals? What are the best workouts to sculpt with limited amount of time (3 times a week with an hour per day for weights alone)? I have hit a wall with loosing weight and need to rev it back up again. THANKS

I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of great stuff in that book. Losing body fat is all the same. - Lose the fat, keep/gain the muscle.

There is really only 3 simple rules needed to achieve this at its most fundamental level:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Seriously, that's it ^^
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's get your thoughts here...you seem to have given great advice!

I am 5'4" 185lbs, 40 years old. I have type 2 diabetes (controlled).

I have lost about 40 pounds, and have about 40 more to go. I did lose pretty steadily for the first 6-8 months, then plateaued. BIG time...like for 6 months I was struggling with gaining/losing the same 3 pounds.

I changed things up...upped my calories, changed my macros to 20% carbs, 50 protein, 30 fat. I lost a few pounds right away but then nothing for three weeks again.

I am also changing up my workouts....I was only doing 3 days of intense cardio (an hour or more...) and then some walk/run intervals on one or two other days....so changing that up a bit and also adding in strength training.

I am getting frustrated...I have read so much on how many calories I should be eating, TDEE, BMR, blah! I am just downright confused. There is no way in God's green earth I am at the weight I am supposed to be, so there has to be an answer for me....

I eat *pretty* clean...try to keep to healthy fats and complex carbs.....and lean meats for the most part....

Where do you think I should have my calories set to?? I don't like stressing about eating back exercise calories, so moderately active 3-5 days workouts is where I would want to be, no??

HELP!
  • Sublog
    Options
    the basics
    37 year old male, 70 inches tall, current weight 235 pounds.
    Originally weighed 325 pounds, so have lost about 100 pounds. Have been around 235 or so for about 6 months, now trying to break this plateau… goal weight is about 210 pounds (15% bodyfat)
    I work out on average of 5-6 days a week with cardio and some type of weight training. 45-120 mins of cardio depending on the day.
    weight training 3-4 days a week alternating days/
    My diary is open so please look and offer advice.
    MFP has my calories at 1670 a day
    My main issues - I haven’t seen any weight loss in a month of using MFP. I am eating healthy and clean but looking to kick start the weight loss again. Need some help!!

So the main question is – how many calories should I eat daily to lose weight??? would like to lose 1-2 pounds a week if possible?

BMR and TDEE info from FRF2
    From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 210 lbs.
    Harris-Benedict Formula
    your current BMR is 2167 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    at BF percentage of 24%, you have a lean body mass of 179 lbs., and your BMR is 2127 calories

TDEE
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2414
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2767
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 3119 <
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3471 <<<
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3823

15% body fat 210 lbs? Not trying to be sarcastic, but that goal is pretty much unrealistic at your height unless you plan on using steroids or are near your genetic potential in muscle development. This is what you'd have to look like to get that size/weight

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/mrgrewal/P1010019-2.jpg

Clean and healthy is not a way to diet to ensure success. I really don't have time to investigate your diary. If you haven't lost weight in a month at your size, you are likely eating more calories than you think. Re-examine your intake. Weigh your foods. Don't cheat. If you don't know what exactly is in food, don't eat it. Mostly everyone sucks at counting calories. It's normal.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jameslemond
    Options
    trust me i am logging all calories... even olive oil and vinegar when cooking...
    just looking for some guidance on daily calories.. i got my body fat%'s from the f2fradio website. it might be off
  • Sublog
    Options

I have lost about 40 pounds, and have about 40 more to go. I did lose pretty steadily for the first 6-8 months, then plateaued. BIG time...like for 6 months I was struggling with gaining/losing the same 3 pounds.

I changed things up...upped my calories, changed my macros to 20% carbs, 50 protein, 30 fat. I lost a few pounds right away but then nothing for three weeks again.

I am also changing up my workouts....I was only doing 3 days of intense cardio (an hour or more...) and then some walk/run intervals on one or two other days....so changing that up a bit and also adding in strength training.

I am getting frustrated...I have read so much on how many calories I should be eating, TDEE, BMR, blah! I am just downright confused. There is no way in God's green earth I am at the weight I am supposed to be, so there has to be an answer for me....

I eat *pretty* clean...try to keep to healthy fats and complex carbs.....and lean meats for the most part....

Where do you think I should have my calories set to?? I don't like stressing about eating back exercise calories, so moderately active 3-5 days workouts is where I would want to be, no??

HELP!

What are your calories set to now? Based on your info you provided, you should be able to lose weight eating 1500 calories per day and not eating back your exercise calories. (assuming you're accurately eating 1500 calories)
  • Sublog
    Options
    trust me i am logging all calories... even olive oil and vinegar when cooking...
    just looking for some guidance on daily calories.. i got my body fat%'s from the f2fradio website. it might be off

I'd recommend 2300 calories per day. Don't eat back your exercise calories. Don't cheat for 3 weeks straight. You should lose several pounds over that 3 weeks span if I had to guess.

200g of protein
    65g of fats
    Fill rest of calories with carbs.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

HELP!

What are your calories set to now? Based on your info you provided, you should be able to lose weight eating 1500 calories per day and not eating back your exercise calories. (assuming you're accurately eating 1500 calories)

1480 is what I have them set to....don't ask me how I got that....LOL I think it was when I changed my "lifestyle" settings....I guess I just need to keep at it to see if I can break through this.....it is quite irritating. I log like a fiend, and if I cannot be 100% sure of how many calories, I will quick add some as to make sure I don't underestimate.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I cheat once a week (sometimes it's an all day thing, sometimes it's just one snack/meal, but it only happens once a week) I still lose a pound a week which is great(; it's been working for me so I probably won't change anything, but I was just curious; do you cheat? [if so] How often? How much? What do you typically have?

Just curious(;
  • Jameslemond
    Options
    [/quote]
    I'd recommend 2300 calories per day. Don't eat back your exercise calories. Don't cheat for 3 weeks straight. You should lose several pounds over that 3 weeks span if I had to guess.

200g of protein
    65g of fats
    Fill rest of calories with carbs.
    [/quote]

Cool. thanks man.. will adjust MFP and report back results in 3 weeks