ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight..

Options

Replies

• zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    BW January this year 152
    CW 135
    GW 130 (depends on how I look and feel)
    weight 5'6.5''
    30% fat per bod pod
    I do zumba and going to start lifting as of today
    I eat around 1300 cals a day and eat a little bit of my work out cals back

MY QUESTION, I dont weigh ALOT but I have a high body fat %, what is best to make this go down and tone up? Am I eating the right amount of cals? What are the best workouts to sculpt with limited amount of time (3 times a week with an hour per day for weights alone)? I have hit a wall with loosing weight and need to rev it back up again. THANKS

I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of great stuff in that book. Losing body fat is all the same. - Lose the fat, keep/gain the muscle.

There is really only 3 simple rules needed to achieve this at its most fundamental level:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Seriously, that's it ^^

BUT If you lower your calories to loose fat, can you really gain muscle? Am I able to feed my muscles off of 1300 cals a day?
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok, you seem to be helping people out here. I could use some advice as I'm currently yo-yo-ing the same 2lbs for the past month.
    SW: 250
    CW: 168
    GW: 150
    Female, 27, 5'5"
    I was eating 1280 per day, and eating back exercise calories. I am doing a modified P90X program ( I do the weightlifting days, but sub the cardio days with other cardio ex: Zumba or bike riding). I haven't lost a lb in the last month. When I last had this problem, I stopped doing any exercise and promptly lost 5lbs. I was thinking I might need to up my calorie intake? I just rased it to lose 1lb per week which sets me at 1530 per day. What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help in advance!

PS: BMR 1475
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You don't believe in eating back workout calories correct? I am just curious. I do not understand why I jog on the treadmill and burn 300-500 calories just to eat it back, besides that fact that I am building muscle and making myself generally healthier. The more I exercise, the hungrier I am. Last week I was sick and took a week off from working out. I stayed under my 1200 calories without much problem at all.

I am 5'7" and 167lbs. I would like to lose about 20 more pounds (and then we will see from there). I'm losing about 1 lb a week. Should I be satisfied with this? It seems so darn slow but I will deal with it if I can keep it off that way. Also, I don't personally SEE the difference in myself since I've started MFP. I've lost 15 lbs but I don't think it's very visible. Am I just being too hard on myself?

Thank you!
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump...I like your approach....honest and sincere with results attached to it. Congrats on your significant weight loss!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    BW January this year 152
    CW 135
    weight 5'6.5''
    30% fat per bod pod

MY QUESTION, I dont weigh ALOT but I have a high body fat %, what is best to make this go down and tone up? Am I eating the right amount of cals? What are the best workouts to sculpt with limited amount of time (3 times a week with an hour per day for weights alone)? I have hit a wall with loosing weight and need to rev it back up again. THANKS

I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of great stuff in that book. Losing body fat is all the same. - Lose the fat, keep/gain the muscle.

There is really only 3 simple rules needed to achieve this at its most fundamental level:

Seriously, that's it ^^

BUT If you lower your calories to loose fat, can you really gain muscle? Am I able to feed my muscles off of 1300 cals a day?

You don't lift weights while dieting to gain muscle. You lift weights while dieting to maintain muscle and lose fat. You can eat a bit more if you like 1500 is a good goal for many women IMO.
  • moegomes
    moegomes Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi,

I have a question... Hopefully you can shed some light and steer me in the right direction...

These are my stats:
    Mar 2 April 6
    148.8 - Weight 145.2 -3.6lbs
    25.0% - Body fat 24.5% -.5%
    39.5 – Hips 39 -1in
    21.5 - R thigh 22 +.5in
    34 – Waist 34
    10 - R Bicep 11 +1in
    36 - shoulders 36.5 +.5in

I am not too happy with these numbers. I had been stuck at 147lbs for the longest, creeped up to 153lbs and back down to 147lbs and now finally hovering at 145lbs.. Considering the above stats: How did I lose weight but inches really? I gained muscle which is good but no inches lost.. Like a lot of women, I am working on eliminating the post baby belly..nothing is working...
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    BW January this year 152
    CW 135
    weight 5'6.5''
    30% fat per bod pod

Seriously, that's it ^^

You don't lift weights while dieting to gain muscle. You lift weights while dieting to maintain muscle and lose fat. You can eat a bit more if you like 1500 is a good goal for many women IMO.

What can I do if I want to gain muscle AND loose fat?
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • Sublog
    Options
    BW January this year 152
    CW 135
    weight 5'6.5''
    30% fat per bod pod

Seriously, that's it ^^

What can I do if I want to gain muscle AND loose fat?

Eat close to your maintenance and do a recomp. Progress will be slow. You are better off doing one or the other, though.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Is it possible to lose bodyfat without continuously losing weight? I've only got 3kg to hit my target weight of 60kg (I'm 5'4" so think this weight is ideal, correct me if I'm wrong).

My belly will NOT go flat in 3kg but I want to lose the bellyfat. How will this be possible whilst maintaining my ideal weight?
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    can't thank you enough...easy to understand and I'll read the articles! What a gift you are providing!!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to follow along... Hope you don't mind... :)

Edited: I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS! I cannot imagine the dedication and mental toughness it took to accomplish such an amazing transformation. Truly inspiring!

Me too!!!
  • niiyarenee
    niiyarenee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How do I lose twenty pounds in twenty days.
  • Ginagbuck
    Options
    I am following a low carb diet to lose weight. I don't know how much protein is too much, so can you answer that for me???

I am female and weigh 155 lbs.

Thanks
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    In trying to find my Body Fat %, I went to Fat2Fit Radio site and saw that there were 3 methods of calculating this.

Stupidly, I did all three and you guessed it, got 3 VERY different results~ like 28% to 53% Body Fat!!

Which method do you recommend?

My stats:
    AGE 51
    WT ~ 200
    HT 5'0"
    WAIST 36.75
    HIPS 49.75
    WRIST 5.75
    FOREARM 10.75

Thank you for taking so much time with all of us~ it's really nice to know that a real, live person has done what you've done and is willing to share how he did it and let us pick your brain too!
  • Sublog
    Options
    How do I lose twenty pounds in twenty days.

20 lbs of fat? Not going to happen.

20 lbs of water and some fat? Look up PMSF -
  • Sublog
    Options
    I am following a low carb diet to lose weight. I don't know how much protein is too much, so can you answer that for me???

I am female and weigh 155 lbs.

Thanks

Don't worry about it assuming you're healthy. It's far more than you could eat in a day on a diet I am sure. :)
  • Sublog
    Options
    Is it possible to lose bodyfat without continuously losing weight? I've only got 3kg to hit my target weight of 60kg (I'm 5'4" so think this weight is ideal, correct me if I'm wrong).

My belly will NOT go flat in 3kg but I want to lose the bellyfat. How will this be possible whilst maintaining my ideal weight?

Why are you so hung up on your weight? Fat is fat. To lose fat you'll need to burn more calories than you consume. This also has a side effect of lowering your weight. You can try to recomp and balance out muscle building while losing fat, but it's not efficient and your results will be faster if you focus on losing weight firs then gaining some muscle.