Words or phrases that should be banned

Options

Replies

• SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Walking the trails all the bikers YELL "ON YOUR LEFT" and ring a little bell at you...when you have enough of them, it's like an annoying freaking chorus of MOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOUR ASSS!! I hate it! That's why I stick to nature trails and not bike paths!
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    smh....
    I only recently found out what this meant and it made it all the more irritating xx

See it everywhere, still don't know what smh means.

Shake my head:happy:

Thank you!
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Epic, everything is EPIC these days. Drives me nuts to hear that. Reminds me of teenagers. Bleh.

My sons whole life is EPIC. Everything is EPIC or RANDOM, want to choke those words right out of him somedays.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1) I know, right?

2) That said...or "said person"

3) If you will...

4) chillax or staycation

and manyyyy many more I can't think of right now.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Based on the first 9 pages of this thread there is nothing I can say that you won't hate, so I'm just sayin, I mighta seen it, but irregardless, (as I SMH), yous guys would loose it and OMG I would be in EPIC trouble and then WTF, I'd be chilaxin and be thinkin FTW, but then it'd be more like FML. Whew whodda thunk the english language would come to this. :bigsmile: :laugh: :devil:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Not so much a phrase (though I do agree with many of these), but it annoys me when words that are plural are suddenly being used to mean something singular. For example - the word troop. Sure, a troop can be singular or plural - 1 troop or 5 troops. But it's not 1 individual - but suddenly it is. I remember the first time I saw it used that way. It was a headline that said something like, "3 troops killed in Iraq" and I thought, "OH NO!! How many people are in a troop?!" Drives me bonkers.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    'Truth is.....' and anything 'bro' bahh
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Walking the trails all the bikers YELL "ON YOUR LEFT" and ring a little bell at you...when you have enough of them, it's like an annoying freaking chorus of MOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOUR ASSS!! I hate it! That's why I stick to nature trails and not bike paths!

It's better than having you not hear them and have them plow into you. It's just a common courtesy. I do that when I run. :shrug:

"It is what it is"
    "Lets circle back to that"
    "Let me run it up the pole and see what happens"
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    "My bad" drives me NUTS and when my mother in law is talking about our family, she says "love yous" and that drives me insane!
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "My bad" drives me NUTS and when my mother in law is talking about our family, she says "love yous" and that drives me insane!

"My Bad" is definately on the top of my list. Whenever I hear it I think "So this individual is acknowledging that they did something wrong but doesn't have the common courtesy to actually apologize for it." Makes me want to "accidentally" slap them silly [or sillier as appropriate] and proudly state "My bad".

"We are expecting" also bothers me. No, you are pregnate with a human baby. You will not give birth to anything else, ie "We are expecting [a human baby] but are secretly hoping it is really a koala bear". Hate "preggers" too, makes the user sound ignorant.

"Literally" is also a big one on my list. "My legs were litterally burning after that workout". Oh, really? I do not see any evidence of a fire. "Literally" means it really happened, people, the word you are looking for is "figuratively", which admitedly, does not really sound as cool when used in the same sentence.

Any use of texting "shorthand" in another medium not restricted by a character limit. Email can handle proper english, no need to abbreviate common words, particularly the use of "k" instead of ok.

The interesting thing about slang is its lifecycle. A small group of people begin using it to stand out from the crowd and be original. Then the masses start using it and now everyone sounds like morons because they over-use it. I prefer to be original by my avoidance of slang. With that said- peace out! haha, LOL, LMAO, LOTFLMAO, ROTFLMFAO, etc...
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    "Literally" is also a big one on my list. "My legs were litterally burning after that workout". Oh, really? I do not see any evidence of a fire. "Literally" means it really happened, people, the word you are looking for is "figuratively", which admitedly, does not really sound as cool when used in the same sentence.

I just read someone's profile where she said "I literally feed my family crap."

I was rolling on the floor laughing . . . literally.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Do you have a word or phrase that just drives you crazy when you here it?

Mine is "It is what it is". I HATE this phrase. I think it makes the person saying it look like an idiot.

Eating-back exercise calories is super duper serially important...
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Preggers.

YES. absolutely HATE that.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Based on the first 9 pages of this thread there is nothing I can say that you won't hate, so I'm just sayin, I mighta seen it, but irregardless, (as I SMH), yous guys would loose it and OMG I would be in EPIC trouble and then WTF, I'd be chilaxin and be thinkin FTW, but then it'd be more like FML. Whew whodda thunk the english language would come to this. :bigsmile: :laugh: :devil:

...methinks we have a linguistics major
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    any type of 'corporate buzz words'

"Going Forward" like they want to cover up a mistake and don't really change anything.
    "Transparency" ummm...no, you still hide secrets from the employees and blindside them with accusations

I don't want to go on, it makes me mad thinking about all the lies workplaces tell employees.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options

I just read someone's profile where she said "I literally feed my family crap."

I was rolling on the floor laughing . . . literally.

Now I am too, thanks! :laugh:
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Frape.
  • Ramseyyy
    Ramseyyy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "one more time"

If you've ever been in marching band / colorguard, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...

......yea one plus a thousand
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    The new buzz word...

everything is "artisan" now.

Artisan bread..artisan dunkin donuts...Artisan artisan artisan!!!! **screams!!!**

19111718.png
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Not everything is artisan. Somethings are iconic and artisan!