Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I agree with dad run, may be the most important meal... Got to put something in after a whole night sleep. :smile:
    Science disagrees. It takes 3-4 days of complete fasting to have any effect on metabolism. A "whole night sleep" won't do anything.

what does science say about food and having energy? O.o

Read the studies!! I mean damn man...we all know we need food, that's just survival instinct. If you had to eat every two freaking hours in order to have energy...we'd all be screwed.

Here's a great one, protein...how often do you eat it Monty?...you look pretty ripped.
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Egg white veggie omlette with toast and hotsauce every morning. It really gets me moving an motivated to start the day. I'm actually not hungry when i wake up but i eat slowly and take small bites, after about 2 im starving!! I wake up and immediatly brew coffee and make food. The smell of coffee and food really helps with getting it down.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I agree with dad run, may be the most important meal... Got to put something in after a whole night sleep. :smile:
    Science disagrees. It takes 3-4 days of complete fasting to have any effect on metabolism. A "whole night sleep" won't do anything.

Read the studies!! I mean damn man...we all know we need food, that's just survival instinct. If you had to eat every two freaking hours in order to have energy...we'd all be screwed.

Here's a great one, protein...how often do you eat it Monty?...you look pretty ripped.

again the comment was not dirrected towards you.. there are tons of contradicting studies when it comes to nutrition so picking certain ones over others just to prove points is ridiculous. ur telling me you are going to have more energy eating nothing before training as compared to eating a banana or some sort of carbohydrate? you think a day at work is better served with an empty stomach instead of having food in the morning? i mean cmon
  • starcharm3
    Options
    i like breakfast, it keeps me calm until the next meal. you don't have to use a lot of cals for breakfast, you can have yogurt and fruit, yogurt and granola. eggs, half of an english muffin w/ eggs or something else.

i don't feel like i'm wasting calories when i eat breakfast, but then again breakfast isn't the meal i choose to skip sometimes.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast foods, but it's hard to eat in the morning. I usually have my coffee and something small like fruit or a trail mix bar. I do find that not eating breakfast messes up my appetite for the rest of the day. If I don't eat breakfast, I'm not as hungry throughout the rest of the day. That's why I like to eat something small.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

again the comment was not dirrected towards you.. there are tons of contradicting studies when it comes to nutrition so picking certain ones over others just to prove points is ridiculous. ur telling me you are going to have more energy eating nothing before training as compared to eating a banana or some sort of carbohydrate? you think a day at work is better served with an empty stomach instead of having food in the morning? i mean cmon

I'm not going to get mad at you at all man. You yourself have said there's tons of contradicting studies about nutrition...so basically your stance is 'I think'. That's cool, I guess...but unless you've actually spent any time doing IF...it puts some of us (even those that say 'I think' in a distinct position of advantage...having done both.

So, first to respond to what you said. I've trained fasted...you bet, it used to be the ONLY way I trained. I'm actually measurably stronger fasted...and don't tire out as quickly. Every GREAT once in awhile this isn't the case...BUT!!...that could be the case either way...fasted or not. Most people I know who have worked out in a fasted state for more than a week or two, report the same results. Whether it's the best thing for your results?? I don't know. But it's DAMN well done nothing to hurt my energy levels.

As for my work day...I can say the same thing. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungry all day, it makes me sleepy...I'm less alert. Oddly enough, these things all fall into survival response documentation I've read (after I began IF by the way). When fasted, your body can, via adrenaline and other methods...improve your strength, mental acuity, vision, hearing...basically all the things you need to CATCH YOUR NEXT MEAL. In some people the response was reported to begin within 10hrs. Others took longer. I don't remember the maximum length of time they tested.

Now, my point about protein...wasn't what you thought it would be. How often do you ingest protein?
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There are studies saying you should eat within an hour of waking, half hour, all different.
    I actually find that I function for the day best if i eat breakfast about 10 - 10.30 am.
    I dont think it is a waste of calories per se, i just think that most of us benefit from eating something in the first half of the day.
    I have taken to having a granola or a cereal bar. Its just enough to keep me going until lunch time and i actually pick less in the afternoon if i eat a bit of brekkie.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You guys are STILL on this?

Overblown thread topic is overblown
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    You guys are STILL on this?

Overblown thread topic is overblown

I dare you to find a caturday for that.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Interesting read:
    Everyone who learns about nutrition through the usual channels, be it fitness magazines, mainstream diet books and forums, gets cursed with the prevailing belief system of what constitutes a good diet.

Though specific dietary recommendations vary slightly depending on who you listen to, there are many common denominators and "rules" that you are told you must adhere to. Call it broscience, incompetence or ignorance, same thing. We've all been there and we've all followed these rules. Led like sheep, not knowing better. Trusting that those we listen to knew what they were talking about. While these dietary myths run rampant in the bodybuilding and fitness community, you'll find that many are being endlessly propagated in the mainstream as well.

Upon closer scrutiny, the great majority lack scientific basis. They are born out out of half-truths, faulty conclusions drawn from poorly conducted studies or created when a study gets cited out of context.

Sometimes, what's claimed is even in exact opposition to what really occurs at a physiological level. Many people believe that alcohol is fattening, more so than any other macronutrient. Yet, if you look at how inefficiently the body converts ethanol to fat, you'll find that it's completely backwards. I talked about this in "The Truth about Alcohol, Fat Loss and Muscle Growth". Also note how the proposed negative effect of alcohol on muscle growth doesn't even exist in the scientific literature.

You'll see similar examples in this article. For example, in short-term fasting, it's often claimed that metabolic rate slows down - yet looking at the studies, the opposite is true.

The myths I'll debunk today are being kept alive by:

1. Repetition. Repeat something often enough and it becomes the truth. If everyone is saying the same thing, it must be true. No need to look into it and think for yourself. The fact that bodybuilders and fitness celebrities keep propagating these myths doesn't help either. Most people reason that if these people do it, it must be great. Unfortunately, bodybuilders and fitness celebrities might just be one of the last people on earth you should listen to if you want objective and accurate opinions in nutrition.

Batman_and_Joker_Diet_Discussion.jpg

2. Commercial forces. For example, the supplement industry benefits greatly from people believing that frequent feedings provide a metabolic advantage. People don't have time to eat six cooked meals a day. Instead, they turn to meal replacement powders, shakes and protein bars. The cereal and grain industry benefits by preaching about the virtues of breakfast for weight control, health and fat loss. There's no commercial incentive in telling people that they would do just fine with three squares a day.

3. Few people have the knowledge or interest needed to interpret the scientific evidence and draw their own conclusions. In order to do this you would need an academic background that included critical examination of studies and study methodology as part of the learning process.

However, an academic background, or an extensive education in nutrition or physiology, seems to correlate very poorly with truthfulness and objectivity in the field of dietetics in my experience. The advice and claims I have seen made by many RDs (Registered Dietitians) has been so shamelessly wrong that I put little stock in anything they have to say. The same goes for many "diet gurus" and so-called health experts with a solid list of academic credentials.

That people who should know better keep repeating the same myths is somewhat puzzling and strange. Perhaps they lose interest in keeping up with research. What we know today is a bit different from what we knew twenty years ago after all. Or maybe they're afraid that their credibility would be questioned if they change the advice they have been giving for years. I'm not sure. I've been thinking about it quite a bit. But I digress. Back to the topic.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    since my stance is "i think" your stance must be "i know"? lol how long have you been doing IF anyways?

.. and i try to eat protein whenever i feed. i wish i could see ur food log so i can get an idea of what you are doing.

and did i say you have to eat every 2-3 hours? no i said overall caloric and macro intake is what dictates success.
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    I eat breakfast because as a mother****ing adult, it is the only socially acceptable time for me to have a big bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with almond milk.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    since my stance is "i think" your stance must be "i know"? lol how long have you been doing IF anyways?

.. and i try to eat protein whenever i feed. i wish i could see ur food log so i can get an idea of what you are doing.

and did i say you have to eat every 2-3 hours? no i said overall caloric and macro intake is what dictates success.

Good call there, sorry I assumed, but if that's true...then it's also true that breakfast is unnecessary...as long as you're getting your calories/macros in (which was the whole point in bringing up IF to begin with).

I began keeping my diary locked because some friends I care about quite a bit on my list are absolutely blindly adamant that IF is the devil. Easier to keep the peace this way, and not start a debate every time I post completed. Plus, honestly, I haven't been logging since last November. There's not really any point...it's unnecessary for me. Now that I'm released back to the gym though (I'd ruptured my right lower biceps tendon in February)...I'll probably begin again so that I can nail things down quickly...but once I'm back where I want to be, I'll relax that. That's one of the things I love about it...it's easily sustainable with nothing more than a little common sense...and three solid workouts a week.

As for the 'I think' and 'I know'...if I were to say I know...it's only because I have read plenty of studies proving what I'm saying here is true.

On the IF thing, last...June maybe? I believe that's when I started. I was 215lbs or so in April of last year when I joined MFP. I ost 20lbs very quickly, then stalled for over 6wks. I then found IF (accidentally), and lost the next 20lbs...in what seemed to be no time at all. That weight was maintained easily...and I actually put on some muscle (and about 5lbs) in the process. I'm now back up about 12lbs more...but as I mentioned...there's reasons for that.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I eat breakfast because as a mother****ing adult, it is the only socially acceptable time for me to have a big bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with almond milk.

LOL!! I have mine before bed =D.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This:
    I always used to skip breakfast - just didn't care for eating in the morning. I have to say though, since I started logging and forcing myself to eat in the mornings, breakfast has turned in my favorite meal of the day. For whatever reason, I really look forward to my oatmeal, boiled eggs, crackers, and a few minutes of SportsCenter each morning. :-)

Is because this DOES carry over:
    Your metabolism doesn't stop. It may slow down, but not to the point where you won't lose weight. What eating does do is set off hormonal responses that make you feel hungry. People who don't eat breakfast are merely delaying that response.

If I eat breakfast, I'm ravenous all day. If I don't eat breakfast...I can easily go clear to the next dinner without eating. This is after a 2000-3000cal series of 'evening meals' the night before...usually over a 4-5hr window.

It is amazing to me how prevalent the antiquated belief that food in the morning is what causes your metabolism to activate...even though it's been PROVEN that it doesn't stop, and barely (if at all) even slows down when sleeping. Just GETTING UP in the morning, increases your metabolism the tiny amount that it will be increased from your sleeping metabolic rate.

Eating breakfast is a preferance, not a necessity.

Well, it depends on the individual. Right now its a necessity for me when I'm doing hard labor on some days, even if its for a short time on that day. If I don't eat a heavy breakfast I'll get where I'm useless, tired and possibility close to passing out. On days I'm not I don't have to and I didn't before so you just got to listen to your body on whats right. I mistakenly ate a big breakfast one day and felt great which then found out that is what I needed for my day to get through it okay. So from my own experience I'm assuming activity plays a major role in how we need to eat.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    This:
    I always used to skip breakfast - just didn't care for eating in the morning. I have to say though, since I started logging and forcing myself to eat in the mornings, breakfast has turned in my favorite meal of the day. For whatever reason, I really look forward to my oatmeal, boiled eggs, crackers, and a few minutes of SportsCenter each morning. :-)

Your metabolism doesn't stop. It may slow down, but not to the point where you won't lose weight. What eating does do is set off hormonal responses that make you feel hungry. People who don't eat breakfast are merely delaying that response.

If I eat breakfast, I'm ravenous all day. If I don't eat breakfast...I can easily go clear to the next dinner without eating. This is after a 2000-3000cal series of 'evening meals' the night before...usually over a 4-5hr window.

It is amazing to me how prevalent the antiquated belief that food in the morning is what causes your metabolism to activate...even though it's been PROVEN that it doesn't stop, and barely (if at all) even slows down when sleeping. Just GETTING UP in the morning, increases your metabolism the tiny amount that it will be increased from your sleeping metabolic rate.

Well, it depends on the individual. Right now its a necessity for me when I'm doing hard labor on some days, even if its for a short time on that day. If I don't eat a heavy breakfast I'll get where I'm useless, tired and possibility close to passing out. On days I'm not I don't have to and I didn't before so you just got to listen to your body on whats right. I mistakenly ate a big breakfast one day and felt great which then found out that is what I needed for my day to get through it okay. So from my own experience I'm assuming activity plays a major role in how we need to eat.

Well...honestly...I still think it's personal preferance more than anything (per individual as you said).

I work in construction...from bidding, to running jobs, to running equipment, to laying pipe...to running a shovel. Trust me, a substantial amount of that is hard labor, and NO crew will listen to an administrator that they don't think can do the work he's telling them to do...so it's absolutely necessary I maintain my reputation of being better than they are, by showing them =p.

I get through fine without eating...and as I've said, to be honest...am more alert and have more energy when I haven't.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This:

Well...honestly...I still think it's personal preferance more than anything (per individual as you said).

I work in construction...from bidding, to running jobs, to running equipment, to laying pipe...to running a shovel. Trust me, a substantial amount of that is hard labor, and NO crew will listen to an administrator that they don't think can do the work he's telling them to do...so it's absolutely necessary I maintain my reputation of being better than they are, by showing them =p.

I get through fine without eating...and as I've said, to be honest...am more alert and have more energy when I haven't.

Then its a preference for you and a necessity for me :). I just wouldn't consider it a complete waste or myth on all individuals since some like me need it.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I hate this effing website. 17 pages debating breakfast?! Yup, breakfast is the reason why there are fat people.

I eat 6-8 times a day, I should probably weigh 400 pounds.

What am I even doing here on a Friday night...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This reminds of that famous "Don't eat breakfast...here's why!" thread a few months back. I guess it was time for this topic to be rehashed again.
  • lafjordan
    Options
    I have heard that it is good for you to drink a cup of hot water with lemon in the morning. I don't remember what it does for you. I can't eat in the morning either. I am not hungry and it doesn't make me more hungry later if I don't eat.