Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• anwickes
    anwickes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Currently intermittent fasting (9pm till 2pm) and taking 200mcg GHRP-2 per day.....

My appetite is actually lower come 2pm than it was when I was eating breakfast.
    I train fasted at 12 and have set new PB's in every exercise.

For me, the results are in and subsequently, breakfast is out!!
  • Auntycincin
    Auntycincin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi im not really a breaky person i would prefer to have a larger lunch and wear it off as i am working
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast. It makes me feel alive. I would love to eat breakfast as soon as i get up but I have to wait till my thyroid medication is done doing its thing. So I have to wait an hour for that and then an hour after I eat to work out. Well at least that's what I heard you should do. if I dont eat breakfast I don't function well and i really don't feel well at all. its an individual choice, I know most of my family and friends avoid breakfast completely.
  • Flossiechoppers
    Options
    Hi I just cannot face eating anything until around 10-11am. I usually have a fresh fruit salad but just pick at it throughout the day. My weight loss is still consistent. I also exercise prior to eating which is usually a 3-6 mile run :smile:
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Don't know if it's been said on here (I think I've read all the posts, but there are a lot) but breakfast can be important for those who need to monitor blood sugar levels. In that case, no breakfast can really off-set things (NOTHING to do with "metabolic rate") I'm more talking people with diabetes or insulin resistance here, which are instances where I will say breakfast is important for disease management, not necessarily weight management.

If I wake up and want breakfast. I eat breakfast. If I wake up and don't feel hungry, I pack something I can hit up in a couple of hours when I know I will want it.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Besides, isn't big breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner the exact same thing as intermittent fasting, just in reverse? Why is it ok to eat a big meal in the morning, and a very small meal in the evening, and then nothing the rest of the night and the entire time you sleep, but it isn't ok to eat nothing while you sleep, nothing in the morning, and then eat all afternoon and evening?

I imagine because most people are active during the day - burning the most calories. Whereas when you are fasting during the night you are asleep and so expending less energy and burning fewer calories.

Whatever you think about breakfast,personally I am always starving first thing in the morning and love breakfast. If I don't have any I feel light headed, sickly and eventually get a headache due to low blood sugar.
    When you are active makes no difference. Your body processes calories regardless. If you eat earlier in the day, your body spends all day digesting the food, and stores it and uses it as needed. When you eat later at night instead, your body spends all night digesting food and stores it and uses it as needed. In a 24 hour period, the result is exactly the same either way.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    Here, this study showed that people eating at only 10AM, only 6PM, or 3 meals a day, all lost the same amount of weight, and there were no metabolic changes observed. Eating 3 meals didn't speed up the metabolism, and eating one meal didn't slow down the metabolism. And there was no metabolism boost when people ate in the morning, compared to when people ate in the evening.

It's personal preference, not biological necessity. As for you low blood sugar issues, that's a medical problem. Doesn't effect a healthy person without those issues, as it takes 84 hours of complete fasting before blood sugar actually drops to a low level. Most people "feel hungry" eating breakfast every day because they've trained themselves to feel hungry. Hunger is a hormonal response that responds and adjusts to your eating patterns.

It can be shouted from the rooftops man, with all the proof in the world, and someone else will just pop in here, not read ANY of the information and say:
    I am trying to fit in something for breakfast but may be at my morning break or simply eating some fruit when I get to my office. I have the same 'thinking' as you but I do believe research says we are wrong.....and/or we should change our thinking. Breakfast kicks off our matabolism. Seriously, I am working on my "stinkin' thinkin'!" I associate the best end-of-day retreat from work and all is to have a nice (too big) dinner and that is where I commit my calories. I am trying to find something else to replace that reward I enjoy at the end of the day. I am working on lifestyle changes!!!

Despite all the research, and evidence to the contrary.

LOL agreed!! What an exhaustingly frustrating thread... props to those who bothered with it after page 4... I hope at least one of the 'I heard somewhere that' people actually bothered to look at the EVIDENCE linked by the 'I've actually researched and undertand this stuff' people... just to make your awesome efforts worthwhile!!
  • heyitsmegxx
    heyitsmegxx Posts: 444
    Options
    Breakfast= favorite meal of the day!
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    I wake up at 5.30; but I don't eat 'till I get into work at 8. If I'm hungary I'll have porridge & if I'm not just a cereal bar :)
  • chrren
    chrren Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast. I notice I have more energy at the gym in the morning when I do. I actually notice a significant difference in my energy level if I skip my breakfast or when I only eat a small amount, I basically cannot do as much. Not only do I get more energy, if I skip it I'm always way too low on my calorie count seeing as I have to eat a minimum of 1400 a day. I also end up craving chocolate or something later in the day if I do skip it.
  • kimboyle92
    kimboyle92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a breakfast person either but I workout in the morning so I need protein... I have a protein shake made with V-8 fusions and yogurt after my workout.