Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• Shmemily001
    Shmemily001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I struggled with finding something that didn't make me feel awful after eating it, but the experts say you need breakfast. So I would eat something... eggs, oatmeal, cereal, toast, yogurt, but always felt sickly after. For the last week I have actually been either skipping breakfast or having a cup of watermelon. I feel sooo much better and go into my workout with more energy. Then I have a spinach/carrot/almond milk/protein shake after my workout.

Getting sick after you eat is an indication that your blood sugar levels are low and your metabolism is slowing down while your body starts shifting gears to use muscle for energy.

A good way to avoid feeling sick when you first get up and eat is to avoid making your body go into a low blood sugar droop. You can do this by eating a little protein before bed, and then eating a small bit of protein immediately when you step out of bed. The sick feeling you get from breakfast is not an indication that breakfast is a bad thing, its your body trying to tell you it is all messed up and needs balance again. Fasting through breakfast probably makes that worse.
  • vgambino
    vgambino Posts: 28
    Options
    I hate this effing website. 17 pages debating breakfast?! Yup, breakfast is the reason why there are fat people.

I eat 6-8 times a day, I should probably weigh 400 pounds.

What am I even doing here on a Friday night...

AMEN BROTHER!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Then its a preference for you and a necessity for me :). I just wouldn't consider it a complete waste or myth on all individuals since some like me need it.

Lol, agreed! And no one is saying you shouldn't, just that you don't have to, meaning it's not necessarily 'better' for you.
    I hate this effing website. 17 pages debating breakfast?! Yup, breakfast is the reason why there are fat people.

Again, no one said you shouldn't eat breakfast, or even eat 6-8 times a day lol. Some people believe there are benifits to not eating 6-8 times a day...but it's certainly not something I'm telling you to do. The only reason there's a debate is because of all the people saying it's BS that you don't have to.

And as for Friday night.../sigh, no kidding right?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

Nobody is forcing you to be here, nobody forced you to click the link to open this thread. Debate is good for a healthy mind, provided that it doesn't resort to petty name calling.

My question was merely whether people ate breakfast or not, and what their reasons were for doing so. Can people not be free to engage in this discussion without someone coming along and declaring their hatred for this website?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Debate is good for a healthy mind, provided that it doesn't resort to petty name calling.

I'm actually pretty impressed with this thread lol. Other than that one point where religion was randomly brought into it...I don't think anyone's really been 'offended'.

Maybe we're doing something wrong?
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Oh relax guys I'm just amusing myself and a few of my friends on here. Take it easyyyyy.

If you wanna skip breakfast than so be it. I used to train fasted myself, and started eating a light breakfast before the gym and a post workout meal or shake immediately after. I suppose you could say that's 2 breakfasts since I leave for the gym at 5:00am. Performance wise, I definitely felt a difference having extra energy in me and my progress pictures from the beginning of April show that something is clearly working. As another poster said, a small serving of protein before bed and another serving upon waking is a great way to prevent catabolism - but some of you might say that is "bro-science".

Also, I work a desk job that is incredibly mentally taxing, and I found that eating smaller meals throughout the day keeps my blood sugar more stable and prevents me from crashing and/or flipping out on my coworkers haha.

Also, I'm not anorexic, so I love to eat. Having a small serving of cottage cheese while responding to emails is better than thinking OMG WHEN IS LUNCH.

If what you are doing is working for you then continue doing it. However, if you're not getting the results you want, and your energy levels throughout the day are not where you want them to be, then perhaps you should think about switching up your routine.

Just my two cents. I prefer to operate off anecdotal evidence and personal experience.

But for real, this thread is bananas (which are a great way to get some quick energy in the morning).
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There was this study, and they found out that there are more car crashes in Islamic countries during the month of Ramadan (they don't eat breakfast, and then fast all day until sunset)

So when I don't want to eat breakfast, I force myself to eat ~100 cal, because i'm sure as heck not getting in a car crash TODAY.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my body is never hungry in the morning. I just have a protein shake because I can't put down anything else.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Oh relax guys I'm just amusing myself and a few of my friends on here. Take it easyyyyy.

If you wanna skip breakfast than so be it. I used to train fasted myself, and started eating a light breakfast before the gym and a post workout meal or shake immediately after. I suppose you could say that's 2 breakfasts since I leave for the gym at 5:00am. Performance wise, I definitely felt a difference having extra energy in me and my progress pictures from the beginning of April show that something is clearly working. As another poster said, a small serving of protein before bed and another serving upon waking is a great way to prevent catabolism - but some of you might say that is "bro-science".

Also, I work a desk job that is incredibly mentally taxing, and I found that eating smaller meals throughout the day keeps my blood sugar more stable and prevents me from crashing and/or flipping out on my coworkers haha.

Also, I'm not anorexic, so I love to eat. Having a small serving of cottage cheese while responding to emails is better than thinking OMG WHEN IS LUNCH.

If what you are doing is working for you then continue doing it. However, if you're not getting the results you want, and your energy levels throughout the day are not where you want them to be, then perhaps you should think about switching up your routine.

Just my two cents. I prefer to operate off anecdotal evidence and personal experience.

But for real, this thread is bananas (which are a great way to get some quick energy in the morning).

Lol, definitely agree with this...and the cool thing is, the same goes in reverse. If your current deal isn't working, you can try IF, or any other HEALTHY method of getting all your calories in.

By the way...I love to eat too. And it's super cool to be able to eat good food, with some crap if I like...of an evening when I have real time to enjoy it =D.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    oh, I LOVE to eat...big meals :wink: .
  • jelias1
    jelias1 Posts: 97
    Options
    Breakfast definitely not a waste of calories. If the average person has slept 8 hours the body adjusts during that time by slowing the heart rate and other organs functions go down since they are not needed in the same way when the person is awake and receiving food. Breakfast allows you to begin fueling your body for the day and allows for optimum work in the morning.

I was a person who skipped it all the time I was sleepy or I wasn't hungry but when I was educated on food and its functions breakfast became the most important meal of the day.

Skipping meals period upsets your metabolic rate. Yes the body can take nutrients from fat in the body but it will also slow down the metabolic rate in order to do so. Doesn't take very much to put our bodies in starvation mode and a slow metabolism leads to weight gain.
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is probably the MOST important meal you will eat during the day..so may be a good thing to try at least a small something..Breakfast kicks your metabolism into gear plus it gives you the mental and physical energy to get your day going.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Lol, definitely agree with this...and the cool thing is, the same goes in reverse. If your current deal isn't working, you can try IF, or any other HEALTHY method of getting all your calories in.

By the way...I love to eat too. And it's super cool to be able to eat good food, with some crap if I like...of an evening when I have real time to enjoy it =D.

Hehe, I tried IF and didn't last 2 days. Takes a lot of discipline. I'm also convinced Martin from leangains.com is a space alien or a mutant and could eat Double Quarter Pounders all day and still look like that haha.

Thanks for the support bro - good chatting with you.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Breakfast definitely not a waste of calories. If the average person has slept 8 hours the body adjusts during that time by slowing the heart rate and other organs functions go down since they are not needed in the same way when the person is awake and receiving food. Breakfast allows you to begin fueling your body for the day and allows for optimum work in the morning.

I was a person who skipped it all the time I was sleepy or I wasn't hungry but when I was educated on food and its functions breakfast became the most important meal of the day.

Skipping meals period upsets your metabolic rate. Yes the body can take nutrients from fat in the body but it will also slow down the metabolic rate in order to do so. Doesn't take very much to put our bodies in starvation mode and a slow metabolism leads to weight gain.

This entire post is incorrect. You aren't going to go into starvation mode skipping breakfast or even skipping lunch. It takes several days of not eating to see a decrease in your metabolic rate.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Breakfast is probably the MOST important meal you will eat during the day..so may be a good thing to try at least a small something..Breakfast kicks your metabolism into gear plus it gives you the mental and physical energy to get your day going.

Did you even read ANY of the posts before yours? There's a crapload of real, scientific evidence provided to the contrary...PARTICULARLY about that starvation mode overnight garbage.
    Hehe, I tried IF and didn't last 2 days. Takes a lot of discipline. I'm also convinced Martin from leangains.com is a space alien or a mutant and could eat Double Quarter Pounders all day and still look like that haha.

Thanks for the support bro - good chatting with you.

You too lol...and I kinda wonder about Martin too. I mean, seriously. The guys insane sometimes.
    oh, I LOVE to eat...big meals :wink:

We seriously need to be friends lol.
  • Aineko
    Options
    Skipping meals period upsets your metabolic rate.
    no, it doesn't.
    Yes the body can take nutrients from fat in the body but it will also slow down the metabolic rate in order to do so.
    no, it won't.
    Doesn't take very much to put our bodies in starvation mode and a slow metabolism leads to weight gain.
    yes, it does - you'll have to invest a decent effort in putting your body into starvation mode (and you definitely will succeed, but after a prolonged time period).
  • Aineko
    Options

done and done :bigsmile:
  • crisanderson27
    Options

done and done :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou:
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It sure seems that most of the people here saying breakfast is so important, have quite a bit more body fat than those who disagree.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It sure seems that most of the people here saying breakfast is so important, have quite a bit more body fat than those who disagree.

Random and totally unsubstantiated response.