Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    How about you don't eat breakfast then. Problem solved!

If you are referring to my original post - I wasn't asking for advice on whether I should eat breakfast. I was more looking for what peoples thoughts/feelings were toward eating breakfast. I am interested in hearing reasons why people do or don't eat breakfast. I sometimes eat breakfast and sometimes not, depending on if I'm hungry.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    main point is that you are buying into marketing ploys and gimmicks that are created for those who lack the atribute of doing things in moderation... agreed that nutrient and caloric timing is irrelevant for healthy weight loss but to claim that intermittant fasting is somehow superior is bogus.

that is what the supplement and fitness industry is having you to pick sides either "eat 6 meals a day to speed your metabolism" or "do intermittant fasting because you have a hormonal advantage for fat loss" both claims are right and wrong at the same time but in the end it comes down to overall macros and caloric intake over a long period of time regardless.. so if it helps you sleep at night thinking you are doing the right thing by fasting or eating 6 times a day, well good for you... but in the end you are just the next sucker who bought the book "eat stop eat" " or doing "leangains" or "buying caesin protein so you dont go catabolic at night" or thinking "carbohydrates make you fat" its all a farce. there are true aspects but in the end its about the all-mighty dollar and people buying into whatever they may say.

if there is one thing that people need to do is have discipline and use moderation.. its truely the key to success

I didn't buy any books or spend any money. I just didn't eat for 24 hours, and then did it again a few days later and found it way easier than worrying about counting calories every day.

I don't think ESE is a magic bullet or anything, it's totally up to the individual and what works for them. I have read intermittent fasting may have other benefits (for health) than your traditional 3 or 6 meals a day every day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/ <-- check this out for example
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    main point is that you are buying into marketing ploys and gimmicks that are created for those who lack the atribute of doing things in moderation... agreed that nutrient and caloric timing is irrelevant for healthy weight loss but to claim that intermittant fasting is somehow superior is bogus.

that is what the supplement and fitness industry is having you to pick sides either "eat 6 meals a day to speed your metabolism" or "do intermittant fasting because you have a hormonal advantage for fat loss" both claims are right and wrong at the same time but in the end it comes down to overall macros and caloric intake over a long period of time regardless.. so if it helps you sleep at night thinking you are doing the right thing by fasting or eating 6 times a day, well good for you... but in the end you are just the next sucker who bought the book "eat stop eat" " or doing "leangains" or "buying caesin protein so you dont go catabolic at night" or thinking "carbohydrates make you fat" its all a farce. there are true aspects but in the end its about the all-mighty dollar and people buying into whatever they may say.

if there is one thing that people need to do is have discipline and use moderation.. its truely the key to success
    you don't need to pay for anything to be 'into' IF - as I said, for some ppl it is just a natural eating rhythm.

edit - you seem to confront IF to 'moderation'. why do you see IF as something extreme?
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Agree with the main point above (Moderation). As far as I can tell the jury is out on IF (Intermittant Fasting) and obviously this isn't for everyone. It's also tempting to "buy" into the next new idea (which sells books). I try and keep an open mind and do what makes metabolic sense...but this requires constant reading, discussion with experts, and some degree of ability to separate out fact and fiction. Even great minds get talked into false corners. We're human. Keep an open mind..but also analyze the data...and make up your own mind.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

What are either IF proponent I've listed selling? Books? Uhh...they give out the whole freaking process on their websites. Sure you can buy their books...but they make it where you certainly don't have to.

But I think it's funny how different this post is compared to your first posts a page ago.
  • Aineko
    Options
    It's also tempting to "buy" into the next new idea (which sells books).
    speak for yourself :wink:
    I'm coming from a culture where some form of IF has been practised for centuries for religious purposes. that's why I don't see it as something extreme at all.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Agree with the main point above (Moderation). As far as I can tell the jury is out on IF (Intermittant Fasting) and obviously this isn't for everyone. It's also tempting to "buy" into the next new idea (which sells books). I try and keep an open mind and do what makes metabolic sense...but this requires constant reading, discussion with experts, and some degree of ability to separate out fact and fiction. Even great minds get talked into false corners. We're human. Keep an open mind..but also analyze the data...and make up your own mind.

The whole IF thing wasn't brought up as a point of its own. It was brought up because in both of those books, there are peer reviewed studies that prove the myth of having to eat multiple times a day (including breakfast), irrelevant.

That was all.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

What are either IF proponent I've listed selling? Books? Uhh...they give out the whole freaking process on their websites. Sure you can buy their books...but they make it where you certainly don't have to.

But I think it's funny how different this post is compared to your first posts a page ago.

keep starving urself if you want.. it seems to be working.. lol
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a waste for me, too. I usually just have coffee and a piece of fruit, if that.

But I typically have an early lunch to make up for it. I've been known to eat my lunch between 10am - 12pm.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Breaktime :-) Anyone up for strength training, cardio, then dinner? LOL
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Great response lol...you win on sheer..

Wait, no you don't...if I were starving myself, I wouldn't be doing it lol.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Breaktime :-) Anyone up for strength training, cardio, then dinner? LOL

That's awesome lol...I'm actually headed to the gym in ten minutes =D.
  • monty619
    Options

Great response lol...you win on sheer..

Wait, no you don't...if I were starving myself, I wouldn't be doing it lol.
    well why are you doing it?
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and what you're doing during the day. I never been much of a breakfast person but now I'm doing some things that keep me alot more active during the day and found myself having to have breakfast, a big breakfast if I am going to make it through the day.
  • Aineko
    Options
    seems that on these boards if you don't eat the way I eat then you are certainly starving yourself lol
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    First...I'm not starving myself...I get plenty of calories every day. Around 3000 on lift days...and between 2000 and 2500 on rest days.

Second...if you mean why do IF...there's a couple reasons. It fits my natural eating rhythm for one. Two...it fits my normal work schedule. Normally I'm very busy from 4am to 4pm. Three, I've found the effects pretty wonderful.

Now...give me even one valid reason I shouldn't.

Just one.
  • jencornelius
    Options
    The key for me with breakfast is to have some protein and fiber. Otherwise, it doesnt matter what I eat - I will be hungry before lunch.
  • monty619
    Options
    First...I'm not starving myself...I get plenty of calories every day. Around 3000 on lift days...and between 2000 and 2500 on rest days.

Second...if you mean why do IF...there's a couple reasons. It fits my natural eating rhythm for one. Two...it fits my normal work schedule. Normally I'm very busy from 4am to 4pm. Three, I've found the effects pretty wonderful.

Now...give me even one valid reason I shouldn't.

Just one.

geez man dont get mad bro. no problems with people who do intermitent fasting, especially if you HAVE to do it since ur so busy. just the problem with people who suggest it to those who promote it as superior eating or even suggest it to the regular person trying to find regular success with any type of weight loss... dont get butt hurt especially if you intervene in a convo
  • BeebsAbs
    BeebsAbs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    lol just one more question

How did you help me?

Hopefully you came to the realization that you were wrong and will stop spreading nutritional myths. And maybe you learned that a random article on a random site does not prove anything.

do you have any proof that these are Myths?

You keep trying to shift the burden of proof, you've still yet to provide a single shred of evidence supporting your claim. That in and of itself should give you an idea that your claim is BS. So got any evidence yet?

*rolls eyes*
    after admitting i cant give proof on more then one occasion, also asking you to put your point across on the situation i walked away from this "debate"

As ive said on more then one occasion, everybody is differnet and different things work for different people

i'm trying really hard not to personally attack you, but you are being very awkward.

I CANT PROVE ANYTHING

so all i asked is for you to show what you believe in so i could change my mind abut the whole matter. I am open minded but still am yet to be shown anything AGAINST what i said.

But anyway they are my views and i dont care about what you have to say anymore

2 questions then, why would you beleive in something that you can find zero evidence to support? And instead of evidence supporting your claim, just tell me by what mechanism would eating breakfast and eating every few hrs burn more calories then less frequent meals/no breakfast, holding calories constant?

I believe this because its what pretty much every health professional has written when talking about the subject

HMonsterX i am in no way Religious i am an atheist so throw that theory out the window.

I have read Teh EFE article cris sent me, a very good read BUT in the psychology world there is something called the theory of Scarcity.

Opposite to what this guy is getting at "tell a lie 1000 times it becomes a truth"
    Scarcity is the theory of information (iin this case) being limited ( not many sources supporting this) so he does make a very good case to why you should IF. I do see what he is saying but it can't be applied to all walks of life.
    Because this information is so scarce i.e you need to pay for it and its not available many other places it seems like you want to follow this theory more, especially if you put your money behind it.

Think of buying a Derek Jeter trading card...signed by the man himself, just because it is highly unlikely that others have this it makes it more wantable.

IN MY OPINION....not to get confused with the truth like i am not allowed my own opinion to other posters on this forum..... i dont buy into the IF deal. It seems like media sell out. Just my opinion, so let the abuse begin and asking for more evidence carry on.

Once again thanks to Cris for attempting to help rather then mock me into aggression. I do realise you are "trying" to help with my views but it doesnt help wiith just putting people down, you need to give a helping hand to make someone a better person
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat a small breakfast. It kicks your metabolism to burn calories throughout the day. Miss breakfast, burn less calories in my terms. I try to have 100-200 calories for breakfast.