Breakfast - a waste of calories?

Options

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Each to their own leangains is working for me so im doing whats best for me, other things work better for other people so thats what they do.

the concept is correct, but leangains is an eating disorder waiting to happen..

eat breakfast people. simply because breakfast foods are the tastiest foods.

LOL - seriously? An eating disorder waiting to happen?

yes its intermittant fasting, basically developing a concept that you cant eat for certain types of the day and when you stop working out consistently you might hold the same concept... its a constant starving and binging technique that only promotes eating disorders.. not saying that people cant do it without success because it is the end macros that dictate success... but ive known people who do it and if you have to count down the minutes before you get to binge on food, its not a healthy lifestyle. period.

Um, speak for yourself? Do you have any actual evidence to back your statement up?

I do Eat Stop Eat and it pretty much cured my binge eating disorder - so there is your theory out the window. When I finish a 24 hour fast, I have a small meal and that's it - I feel more full and satisfied with that small meal and resume normal eating the next day. Fact is, people were not meant to stuff their faces all day every day. Eating all day long is very much a recent thing for human civilisation. In hunter gatherer times, humans did not eat until they hunted and found food. There certainly wasn't a ready supply of food for people to eat for breakfast.

Maybe you should stick with what works for you, and let people eat in a way that feels comfortable and natural for them. If it doesn't feel comfortable, you're not going to stick with it forever.

was your disorder bulimia?

No - I used to overeat a lot (binge) especially over the weekends but that was because of all the stress that dieting (eg, the belief that I had to eat 6 times a day, and not go over X amount of calories) was causing me.

I feel like Eat Stop Eat has freed me from the stress of dieting. I don't count calories anymore and still lose weight. It's fabulous.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Each to their own leangains is working for me so im doing whats best for me, other things work better for other people so thats what they do.

yes its intermittant fasting, basically developing a concept that you cant eat for certain types of the day and when you stop working out consistently you might hold the same concept... its a constant starving and binging technique that only promotes eating disorders.. not saying that people cant do it without success because it is the end macros that dictate success... but ive known people who do it and if you have to count down the minutes before you get to binge on food, its not a healthy lifestyle. period.

Um, speak for yourself? Do you have any actual evidence to back your statement up?

I do Eat Stop Eat and it pretty much cured my binge eating disorder - so there is your theory out the window. When I finish a 24 hour fast, I have a small meal and that's it - I feel more full and satisfied with that small meal and resume normal eating the next day. Fact is, people were not meant to stuff their faces all day every day. Eating all day long is very much a recent thing for human civilisation. In hunter gatherer times, humans did not eat until they hunted and found food. There certainly wasn't a ready supply of food for people to eat for breakfast.

Maybe you should stick with what works for you, and let people eat in a way that feels comfortable and natural for them. If it doesn't feel comfortable, you're not going to stick with it forever.

No - I used to overeat a lot (binge) especially over the weekends but that was because of all the stress that dieting (eg, the belief that I had to eat 6 times a day, and not go over X amount of calories) was causing me.

I feel like Eat Stop Eat has freed me from the stress of dieting. I don't count calories anymore and still lose weight. It's fabulous.

so basically you still binge eat just once every two days because you get all of your macro and micronutrient needs from one meal is that correct?
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

so basically you still binge eat just once every two days because you get all of your macro and micronutrient needs from one meal is that correct?

Where is the binging? Do you even understand what binging is? Binging is a period of out of control eating, where you eat a very large amount of food. Eating large meals in and of itself is not binging - if you have made a conscious decision to eat it and are in control of that.

And no I do not eat just one meal. I fast for 24 hours twice a week. At the end of the fast, I eat a small meal. The next day I eat "as normal" (eg. 1800 calories-2000 calories *at a guess* over the course of the day, I usually have a larger lunch and dinner).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am not very familiar with Eat Stop Eat - but going back to your reference of leangains, and to get this away from being personal - it is my understanding that you still eat all your food in one day - just within an 8 hour window. I just cannot see how you can equate that to binging.
  • monty619
    Options

I am not very familiar with Eat Stop Eat - but going back to your reference of leangains, and to get this away from being personal - it is my understanding that you still eat all your food in one day - just within an 8 hour window. I just cannot see how you can equate that to binging.

,.. umm say my caloric needs are 3000 calories that would mean i have to eat 3000 calories within 8 hours means you have to do some serrious eating within a timeframe... my question was what do YOU do personally? because i cant see ur diet log.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options

not to mention its very impractical.

what if it's not impractical at all (the 16/8 eating pattern or similar) and you are not counting minutes and binging, but it's actually your natural eating rhythm (as it has always been for me before I moved to the culture with totally different eating timing and gained 6kg and 8cm on my waist :/)?
    And I can also back the OP statement - there is no binging after a 24h fast. I have a 500 - 600 Cal meal (a usual size meal for me) and feel full. you create a calorie deficit on that day and at normally on other days.

btw, why is Liam ignoring my post? :(. will I ever get an explanation of this metabolism "kick-start"?
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I find breakfast time consuming. Plus I like doing intermittent fasting so I just skip breakfast and eat lunch later.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

,.. umm say my caloric needs are 3000 calories that would mean i have to eat 3000 calories within 8 hours means you have to do some serrious eating within a timeframe... my question was what do YOU do personally? because i cant see ur diet log.

3000 calories in 8 hours is not hard to do - nor is it binging.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, my calorie target is 1900 - thats a lot less than 3000 - does that now not make it an ED waiting to happen?

I already said in a prior post that I do not do IF. Not because I think there is anything wrong with it - it just does not fit into my lifestyle.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

not to mention its very impractical.

Actually, one reason I do IF is because it's SO practical!!

Additionally, I'm never starved, and if I am/was...I EAT...one day isn't going to destroy my diet, nor my life. I don't count down minutes for anything. Today for example, I had to go with my ex to lunch so she could see our kids. She's stupidly touchy about these visits, so rather than not eat and her think I was pissed at her or being an *kitten*...I ate. 2hrs before I'm normally hungry.

Big deal?

And binge lol? Seriously?

ESE is basically 1-2x a week you fast for 24hrs. The time frame is irrelevant (again, the point of this WHOLE thread lol!)...but most people choose dinner to dinner. It could be breakfast to breakfast, or lunch to lunch as well. Anyway, eat dinner at 7pm (or whenever), then don't eat again until 7pm the next day. 24hrs fasted, and you still eat both days (some people eat larger meals the following day, but most people don't feel the need). The next day you eat as normal. Even doing this once a week has real, proven benifits. 2x, or even 3x...just magnifies them.

Leangains was designed for a different purpose (cutting/bulking all in one process)...and so isn't as fixated on the other health benifits of the IF, just the fat burning ones.
  • cinchris123
    Options
    I agree, I hate to eat breakfast but it does start your metabloism going in the morning and you need carbs and nutrients to fuel your body. I have diabetes so it is important. I would rather not eat it though
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Breakfast is never a waste of time or calories--if you aren't hungry or have little time eat a Greek yogurt w/fruit mixed in. A piece of whole wheat toast with all natural peanut butter, maybe slices of banana.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    @crisanderson2 - thanks for the explanation.:flowerforyou:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast, I start the day more sluggishly and am less productive.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I agree, I hate to eat breakfast but it does start your metabloism going in the morning and you need carbs and nutrients to fuel your body. I have diabetes so it is important. I would rather not eat it though

Why? I understand the diabetes thing for regulating blood sugar, but the rest of what you said has been proven false time and again.
    Breakfast is never a waste of time or calories--if you aren't hungry or have little time eat a Greek yogurt w/fruit mixed in. A piece of whole wheat toast with all natural peanut butter, maybe slices of banana.

Again, why?
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    The Benefits of Breakfast - To Eat or Not To Eat:

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or health expert.

That said, there is a benefit for some atheletes and non-atheletes to breakfast or dividing meals and snacks into frequent or smaller amounts.

First, if you take it just from the standpoint of weight loss and calories....I haven't seen a single study that suggests that eating breakfast is needed to lose weight or will help you in calorie reduction (ie improve your metabolic rate to the point it increases daily calorie burn per day). I've read much to suggest eating breakfast does not significantly change our metabolic rates. If you eat one meal for 2000 calories or 5 meals that total 2000 calories your weight will basically be the same with both.

If eating more often makes you ingest more caloires...then don't do it (unless there are other health concerns). It's true that many people that don't eat breakfast have a larger lunch or snack on unhealthy items. If this is true for you, and eating breakfast keeps you from eating exceptionally high numbers of calories then do it.

Second, eating frequent small amounts helps maintain insulin levels from spiking. This is good for diabetics and non-diabetics alike. There is some data to support that maintaining constant insulin levels helps glycogen synthesis efficiency....and helps restore glycogen stores in both atheletes that are diabetics and non-diabetics. Maintaining fairly constant insulin levels is healthy for all people. So use your judgement.

If you weigh 95 lbs (like my Country Western Dance Partner) eating 5 MEALS a day that have any substance is nearly impossible. If you're 400 lbs eating one meal or two meals a day and getting the calories you need is also difficult. The idea is that NOT ONE SIZE FITS ALL. Do what helps you acheive your goal and stay healthy!
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I can't eat in the morning, aside from maybe some grapes or something else light like that. If I eat anything more than that I feel sick.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    How about you don't eat breakfast then. Problem solved!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    How about you don't eat breakfast then. Problem solved!

Yes...but the question then wouldn't be answered!!
  • monty619
    Options
    main point is that you are buying into marketing ploys and gimmicks that are created for those who lack the atribute of doing things in moderation... agreed that nutrient and caloric timing is irrelevant for healthy weight loss but to claim that intermittant fasting is somehow superior is bogus.

that is what the supplement and fitness industry is having you to pick sides either "eat 6 meals a day to speed your metabolism" or "do intermittant fasting because you have a hormonal advantage for fat loss" both claims are right and wrong at the same time but in the end it comes down to overall macros and caloric intake over a long period of time regardless.. so if it helps you sleep at night thinking you are doing the right thing by fasting or eating 6 times a day, well good for you... but in the end you are just the next sucker who bought the book "eat stop eat" " or doing "leangains" or "buying caesin protein so you dont go catabolic at night" or thinking "carbohydrates make you fat" its all a farce. there are true aspects but in the end its about the all-mighty dollar and people buying into whatever they may say.

if there is one thing that people need to do is have discipline and use moderation.. its truely the key to success