Too poor for weight watchers:( HELP!

Options

Replies

• ElBo58
    ElBo58 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks to those of you that actually posted helpful replies or stories, not just telling me to stick with MFP!!!I know the pros and cons of mfp and am looking to add something else to it. I posted this not to have people judge my choice, but to get educated thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

*Be kind to everyone you meet, theyre fighting a battle you know nothing about

I know part of the ease of WW is the books they have that give you the point value of tons of foods. My guess is, though, that you could find books that also list calorie counts of most foods (quick googling found a really old one--http://www.amazon.com/Calories-Carbohydrates-Dictionary-Listing-Brand/dp/0451149149/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334594013&sr=8-4 but i'm sure you could find something more current). I don't have a smart phone either, so I just look for calorie content on menus and packaging or I plan before I go somewhere. I have done WW on my own a couple of times and with the way they change up the points system every few years, even if you did have someone's old books/calculator, the points listed online or on foods might not match the points in that 'system' and therefore won't cause weightloss--i've had that happen.
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you that actually posted helpful replies or stories, not just telling me to stick with MFP!!!I know the pros and cons of mfp and am looking to add something else to it. I posted this not to have people judge my choice, but to get educated thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

I know part of the ease of WW is the books they have that give you the point value of tons of foods. My guess is, though, that you could find books that also list calorie counts of most foods (quick googling found a really old one--http://www.amazon.com/Calories-Carbohydrates-Dictionary-Listing-Brand/dp/0451149149/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334594013&sr=8-4 but i'm sure you could find something more current). I don't have a smart phone either, so I just look for calorie content on menus and packaging or I plan before I go somewhere. I have done WW on my own a couple of times and with the way they change up the points system every few years, even if you did have someone's old books/calculator, the points listed online or on foods might not match the points in that 'system' and therefore won't cause weightloss--i've had that happen.

Thanks! What about if you plan ahead your food for the day and then end up changing it for whatever reason? Does that usually screw you up for the whole day?
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MFP has helped some, but I like the idea of the point system vs having to find a computer to look up whether I can eat something or not bc I don't have internet on my phone to check all the time.. I've heard of so many people having such great long term success with weight watchers!!!

I know what you mean, but I had a friend show me her WW page online and I liked MFP WAY better. Plus I find that I am way more successful if I plan my meals for the next day in advance, and in this case you shouldn't need to go find a computer everytime you eat something. Plus I find that I eat similar things quite a bit (you may be different), but after doing MFP for a couple of months I can basically tally in my head where I'm at for the day. I also know how many calories are in my favorite "splurges" and if I'm going out for dinner over the weekend I go online and pick out what I'm going to order in advance so that I can plan my meals for the rest of the day and maybe do a little bit of extra exercise to cover that frozen yogurt or other treat that I want. ;) Good luck!!!
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    MFP has helped some, but I like the idea of the point system vs having to find a computer to look up whether I can eat something or not bc I don't have internet on my phone to check all the time.. I've heard of so many people having such great long term success with weight watchers!!!

I did weight watchers and had success while on the active phase. What they don't tell you is that just counting points is not a substitute for taking an active part in learning about nutrition, appropriate fat/protein/carb ratios, reading nutrional labels, etc. If you get stuck with a crappy group leader, you will learn very little.

Once I was in maintenance things went horribly wrong: Because I didn't know ANYTHING beyond the points and didn't want to live with a 9 lbs book of points attached to my hand, I gained EVERY SINGLE OUNCE back and then some.

Use MPF. Save yourself the $$$.

Note: I still use the WW cookbooks I purchased...the recipes are tasty, easy and healthy. I just use the nutritional macros, MPF and ignore the points.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    And just to clarify, I took you at your word that you really couldn't afford WW and so suggested an alternative, but I often have people tell me they can't afford something that costs as little as WW does, but if you press them, they have cable TV or have other expensive hobbies. If that's the case, cable TV can more than cover the cost of WW, as can some other hobbies. Maybe, if WW really IS important to you, figure out what you can give up so you can afford it. Are you SURE you really CAN'T afford it?

We don't have cable tv, a home phone, or pay for gym memberships. ( i get a free one through work). All that gets paid for outside of rent, car insurance, gas, and utilities is food and my daughters preschool(which is the cheapest I could find that would accept her with her medical issues). I also carpool to work whenever possible to save on gas and we grow as much of our own food as possible.

The majority of my money goes to medical bills for my daughter that insurance doesn't cover, and I can't cut back on those:(

If you have any suggestions of things I could cut though please let me know! It'd be great to have even $5 extra:)

It sounds as if you should use MFP.
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Thanks! What about if you plan ahead your food for the day and then end up changing it for whatever reason? Does that usually screw you up for the whole day?

If I take a healthy lunch to work and then end up being naughty and going out for pizza with my co-workers, then I switch dinner to big plate of veggies instead. Under the current weight watchers plan, you can eat as many veggies as you want and they are all 0 pts...it pretty much works the same here because veggies generally have few calories and lots of nutrition. However, my aunt who is on WW wrote me to complain that once you fry a veggie it is no longer considered a veggie in WW. Hehe (I mourned my french fries at this point myself.) Also, you can have one banana on WW per day for 0 pts, but an extra will cost you since they have a lot of sugar. I think you can incorporate this thinking into MFP. If I'm starving I can always raid the fridge for celery, carrots, corn on the cob, steamed spinach, strawberries, blueberries...or whatever your favorite may be. You should never feel like you're starving!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Before I got my android I kept a food journal. I refused to pay for sites like WW and Biggest loser when I could do it for free. It was a little more time consuming because you have to write everything down but it was still effective.
  • ande25
    ande25 Posts: 1
    Options
    I left WW because it was costing too much. However............I've been on this plan for six whole days, staying within the calorie target, drinking the water, and the scale hasn't budged one bit.
    WHATSUP?
  • LouisaMoo
    LouisaMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't weigh every day - every week or even every fortnight is more useful. Just to test that, try weighing yourself every two hours and see how much it changes over the course of a day.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I left WW because it was costing too much. However............I've been on this plan for six whole days, staying within the calorie target, drinking the water, and the scale hasn't budged one bit.
    WHATSUP?

^^ 6 days?? Patience my dear!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My mom is doing WW and I am using MFP. One of us is at a healthy BMI the other has only lost 6 pounds....one of us does this for free and is at healthy BMI and one of us pays to loose less than a pound a week....just saying....
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW, too, and when I couldn't afford it any more, I decided to use MFP (I kept coming here anyways to get nutrition info for certain foods anyways) and am losing very well (45lbs since 1/1/12)... :smile:
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Before I got my android I kept a food journal. I refused to pay for sites like WW and Biggest loser when I could do it for free. It was a little more time consuming because you have to write everything down but it was still effective.

THIS.. if you don't have access all day you have the packages that you are eating from and can write items down until you can get to a computer and add them in or look other items up. If there are items that you use frequently print out the list at work and for now just write down the calories you are eating each day. The people on the biggest loser have notebooks they write stuff down. Using weight watchers and converting to points would be no different. I did WW and remember having my little book and pencil. I could have just as easily wrote down how many calories I ate.

Also, try and plan as much as you can as monotonous as it sounds you will know what you are eating at each meal.

Best of luck in what you chose.
  • Gwenofcrowhaven
    Options
    Depending on the system you pick---Points values could probably be calculated on line and than utilized. I think that system truly works, as you use it like a checking account-starting points, then deduct what you consume. It is usually a point for every pound you weigh. All foods have a point value---Egg, 2 points, bread, 1 slice, 2 points, apple, 2 points, and so on. Good luck!
  • emmalouise21
    Options
    I'm doing SLIMMING WORLD and have lost 19.5lbs since i started in Jan, it gives me the determination i needed to keep on track. Having to go there every week to weigh in keeps me n track, as its so easy to cheat when just counting calories! Plus for £5 per week, i think its totally worth it!!!
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    There is absolutely no way I can afford to do weight watchers but Id really like to. Does anyone out there have the stuff and not use is anymore?

Why don't you just MFP?
    You have all the tools you need right here,and it's free!:wink:

I agree. I wanted to start weight watchers with all my friends who started at the same time. but I'm the only one married, living on their own, and supporting a household. I can't afford it. I use MFP and it's working wonders for me. It's taken a little to get use to. I've done weight watchers before, I think MFP is wayyyy easier to use. Just my opinion.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    WHATSUP?

^^ 6 days?? Patience my dear!

Patience, patience, patience. My scale hasn't budged in 5 days, and I'm not fretting, I know in time it'll move. Since you've just started it and as long as your sticking to it, I bet within a week, you'll start to see the scale move down. The lbs didn't go on over night.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW, too, and when I couldn't afford it any more, I decided to use MFP (I kept coming here anyways to get nutrition info for certain foods anyways) and am losing very well (45lbs since 1/1/12)... :smile:

Oh, and let me add, I have found using this site very similar to doing WW (meaning calories vs. points), only, it's WAY easier to find things on this site. Like I said, I was always coming over here for nutrition info on some foods, so when I could no longer afford WW, I came over to MFP, and have been very successful. Though, I still catch myself referring to "Points" instead of calories... it's pretty funny, actually!!! :happy:
  • nycrystal
    nycrystal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled my WW membership this week because I couldn't justify the cost anymore. About 5 years ago I lost about 60 lbs on WW and then I cancelled because I got pregnant. About 2 years ago I decided it was time to get back on the bandwagon but decided to lose with just exercise and MFP, in the course of about 1 year I lost 20 pounds, but a couple of months ago I decided that I needed some more motivation and accountability and decided to go back to WW. Another reason that I decided to go back to WW was because I wasn't tracking enough on MFP and I felt that I needed a wake-up call on portion control and tracking. I signed back up on WW in February and lost about 5 lbs and promptly put them back on. I cancelled my membership last week and went right back on MFP because I felt that the new points system that WW has is based on eating less carbs (which having tried and failed the Atkins diet about 10 years ago) is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a lifestyle change where I can eat anything, in moderation. While I do feel that WW does give ME more accountability with the weigh-ins, the program itself didn't work for me this time around. The bottom line is that you need to be commited to your resolutions whether you're going to do it with WW or MFP; planning meals definitely works for me because I'm not looking for something to eat at the last minute. Sometimes plans change and I end up eating out but I look for the healthiest alternative on the menu, or a small portion of a guilty pleasure...and the next day or meal it's right back on the wagon. This is the only way, in my opinion to make it a lifestyle change whether on WW or MFP.
  • happypath101
    Options
    And just to clarify, I took you at your word that you really couldn't afford WW and so suggested an alternative, but I often have people tell me they can't afford something that costs as little as WW does, but if you press them, they have cable TV or have other expensive hobbies. If that's the case, cable TV can more than cover the cost of WW, as can some other hobbies. Maybe, if WW really IS important to you, figure out what you can give up so you can afford it. Are you SURE you really CAN'T afford it?

We don't have cable tv, a home phone, or pay for gym memberships. ( i get a free one through work). All that gets paid for outside of rent, car insurance, gas, and utilities is food and my daughters preschool(which is the cheapest I could find that would accept her with her medical issues). I also carpool to work whenever possible to save on gas and we grow as much of our own food as possible.

The majority of my money goes to medical bills for my daughter that insurance doesn't cover, and I can't cut back on those:(

If you have any suggestions of things I could cut though please let me know! It'd be great to have even $5 extra:)

Hey - I had a thought spring to mind when I read this. My Mom raised four kids on VERY limited funds. I learned SO much from her about saving money. One of her best tricks is to make her own laundry detergent. She cleans mostly with vinegar and water and her house was/is spotless - let me tell you. So, if you're looking for tips, I would suggest checking out the internet or the local library for recipes home-made soaps, shampoos, detergents, etc. IMHO we all use too many products and pay too much for them. (Bonus - these make awesome gifts. So, if you get good at this, you can also make wonderful presents that everyone will love, use, and appreciate, and you'll save even more money.)