Just when I thought Skinny Cow couldn't be any better...

Options

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I just have to say...Dave...I took your advice.

I was at the grocery store and decided to buy natural almond butter. The only ingredient is almonds. That's it. I tasted it as soon as I got home, and it is delicious, plus, you don't need to use as much at all b/c there's nothing else in there taking away the flavor. I don't think I'd even use a full serving on a sandwich.

It is expensive, but if I'm not using as much, it won't go as fast, and I won't have to buy it as often.

I don't know how often I'll be able to afford it or other natural things, but I AM making an effort to do so, and I think that it is worth it, when it's possible financially for me to do.

I don't think Dave's advice is bad at all. Eating clean is ideal. For many people, it's just unrealistic for different reasons. So they take Dave's advice to heart because they sit there thinking, there's no way I can do that! They are HIGH standards.

So I do what I can, when I can.

I just wanted to admit how good the natural almond butter is. :smile:

It's actually more affordable if you know where to get things and can learn how to make more things from scratch. I found out a couple years ago that I actually lived ten minutes from an organic farm. I never would have believed it had I not seen it. The directions to get there include "Turn left between Skully's Bar and the Stumble Inn"... then it's this random little oasis at the end of a road. But anyway, it's super cheap to get local organic produce there AND they have relationships with beef, chicken, dairy farmers, bee-keepers, etc. Try this website and find out what's available in your area. Support local farmers to help your community, your budget, and your health! :bigsmile: http://www.buylocalvirginia.org/bfbl/index.php
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, I'll check it out! So far, Trader Joe's is the most affordable place for good, healthy food. I'm going to check that out though. My brother works at a Common Market in Md - it's a market that supports the local farms up there. Whenever I can, I get him to bring me home stuff if I'm visiting up there. but I''m going to check out that website!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just have to say...Dave...I took your advice.

I was at the grocery store and decided to buy natural almond butter. The only ingredient is almonds. That's it. I tasted it as soon as I got home, and it is delicious, plus, you don't need to use as much at all b/c there's nothing else in there taking away the flavor. I don't think I'd even use a full serving on a sandwich.

It is expensive, but if I'm not using as much, it won't go as fast, and I won't have to buy it as often.

I don't know how often I'll be able to afford it or other natural things, but I AM making an effort to do so, and I think that it is worth it, when it's possible financially for me to do.

I don't think Dave's advice is bad at all. Eating clean is ideal. For many people, it's just unrealistic for different reasons. So they take Dave's advice to heart because they sit there thinking, there's no way I can do that! They are HIGH standards.

So I do what I can, when I can.

I just wanted to admit how good the natural almond butter is. :smile:

If you have a food processor, you can make your own. I do. I make my own cashew and almond butter.
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I find him refreshing on a board where too much coddling happens, of course that's my opinion. I'm sick and tired of the Dave bashing and people telling a grown man...a total stranger, how he should behave in a public forum...just my two cents:explode:

I personally really needed the "coddling" at first, but I also agree with the majority of Dave's advice. I'm not trying to "bash" him, but I can see where people who are trying to go from eating almost nothing but fast food and cookies to eating healthy sometimes need to be applauded for little steps and self control, not being told they are failing if they aren't eating everything all-natural yet.

I'm also not telling him how to behave in a public forum (though even on the internet there are common decency rules for how a grown man should behave, not that Dave has violated those), I was simply remarking that he would have a lot more fans if he changed his tone a little bit, because most of what he says is very useful advice.
  • Bluemajestic
    Bluemajestic Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Almost everything in my refrigerator or cabinet is fat-free or reduced-fat, or at least sugar-free. Lost 100 pounds..... One of my fav home desserts is chocolate graham crackers "ice cream sandwiches". Take one graham cracker, break it in half, spoon some fat-free cool whip on top, top it with the other half of the graham cracker. Freeze for at least 3 hours. Enjoy!

So I say if you wanna eat a Skinny Cow, go right ahead. Enjoy. :happy:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, do eat Skinny Cow if you want, just don't pretend that it's the most healthy thing to eat.

And a diet full of artificial foods will eventually cause trouble with the way your body works. Regardless of how skinny one gets on it, one might not actually be healthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Great stuff about eating correctly to lose weight. :wink:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I find him refreshing on a board where too much coddling happens, of course that's my opinion. I'm sick and tired of the Dave bashing and people telling a grown man...a total stranger, how he should behave in a public forum...just my two cents:explode:

I personally really needed the "coddling" at first, but I also agree with the majority of Dave's advice. I'm not trying to "bash" him, but I can see where people who are trying to go from eating almost nothing but fast food and cookies to eating healthy sometimes need to be applauded for little steps and self control, not being told they are failing if they aren't eating everything all-natural yet.

I'm also not telling him how to behave in a public forum (though even on the internet there are common decency rules for how a grown man should behave, not that Dave has violated those), I was simply remarking that he would have a lot more fans if he changed his tone a little bit, because most of what he says is very useful advice.

That was pretty much what I was trying to say and maybe, with this post, I was remembering some of his other, more abrasive posts, when I made my comment. I apologize if anyone thought I was rude to Dave.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I think Dave is great!! He has kicked my butt a couple of times when I needed it and I thank him for that!

I too used to think things like skinny cow was healthy. The stuff he says about soy is soooo true! My oldest daughter has a lot of food allergies (nuts, milk, eggs, peanuts, soy, corn and possibly wheat) so needless to say we have to make everything from scratch! Soy is in EVERYTHING you would be shocked! It is not a safe food it is a cheap filler! In all honesty I think that 'real' food tastes better ;)
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I have to say that I think Dave is great!! He has kicked my butt a couple of times when I needed it and I thank him for that!

I too used to think things like skinny cow was healthy. The stuff he says about soy is soooo true! My oldest daughter has a lot of food allergies (nuts, milk, eggs, peanuts, soy, corn and possibly wheat) so needless to say we have to make everything from scratch! Soy is in EVERYTHING you would be shocked! It is not a safe food it is a cheap filler! In all honesty I think that 'real' food tastes better ;)

I'm sad he's gone. :cry:
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That really stinks :brokenheart:
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Where did he go?
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Where did he go?

I heard he got banned... :ohwell:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Where did he go?

I wish that they hadn't have banned him...all he did was tell the truth. He may have offended some people...but not me. Just because he came across as 'harsh' doesn't mean that he wasn't right or not entitled to state his opinion. :brokenheart: :cry: :sad:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Where did he go?

I wish that they hadn't have banned him...all he did was tell the truth. He may have offended some people...but not me. Just because he came across as 'harsh' doesn't mean that he wasn't right or not entitled to state his opinion. :brokenheart: :cry: :sad:

I agree... I would feel differently if he were cursing or being racist or threatening people or something actually WRONG... but maybe they'll let him come back eventually. Although if I were him I probably wouldn't want to after being banned... :ohwell:
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Where did he go?

I agree... I would feel differently if he were cursing or being racist or threatening people or something actually WRONG... but maybe they'll let him come back eventually. Although if I were him I probably wouldn't want to after being banned... :ohwell:

What gets me is some people on here whine about "I ate this" "I fell off the wagon" wah wah wah. Well, if you are gonna post it, plan on getting some direct and probably not so nice to hear responses. Granted, he may have offended some, but I can't ever remember him being untruthful. Stating the facts can be harsh. If you want to hear what you want to hear and not the truth, post somewhere else....Just my opinion. Sorry he got banned (if that is what happened), I liked his honesty, kept me motivated and informed.
  • 135gratitude
    135gratitude Posts: 364
    Options
    Willy Wonka - thanks for sharing something that you like that helps you lose weight - someone else might enjoy it too.
    :smile:

Everyone has different eating styles... and I respect them all....

I have a Naturopath who believes dairy to be just as bad as processed food... in different ways of course....

Education, then choice.

Some thin people eat crap.

I gained weight eating a pretty natural diet - I was just eating too much - but I am fixing it!!!! (almond butter and I had a special relationship - we only see each other every now and then now) :wink:

Someone asked about how to find healthy food - in addition to reading labels, I avoid labels all together - 70% of our food doesn't have a food label, because it just IS that food! Potatoes, broc, carrots, fish, etc.

I am also learning that clean eating doesn't have to be labour intensive either - broiled fish, steamed veggies, baked sweet potatoes - easy, easy, easy!

Good luck to everyone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jillybillygoat
    jillybillygoat Posts: 21 Member
    Options

How depressing. His posts are the kind I look for and need. I don't want to buy something because I think it's healthy and then find out that it isn't. If it isn't healthy and I decide to eat it anyway, that's fine, but I want to be informed. UGH. I've only been here a week and he was already one of my favorite posters.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

How depressing. His posts are the kind I look for and need. I don't want to buy something because I think it's healthy and then find out that it isn't. If it isn't healthy and I decide to eat it anyway, that's fine, but I want to be informed. UGH. I've only been here a week and he was already one of my favorite posters.

Maybe we should start a thread of people who want Dave back! :bigsmile: Except we'd probably all get banned... :sad:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This is truly depressing to read, that Dave got banned for posting about some foods' true composition.

I will miss his posts. They were always very helpful to me.
  • 135gratitude
    135gratitude Posts: 364
    Options
    Is this a dumb questions? (I just started - again - this week - so I am "new" to this...)

Did Dave198lbs really get banned for what was said in this thread? Can that happen? Seriously?
    :noway: