6 yr old taken to police station in handcuffs

Options
thought this was interesting:
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11245913-kindergartner-handcuffed-taken-to-police-station-after-allegedly-throwing-tantrum-and-furniture

"The family of a 6-year-old Georgia girl is upset at police and school officials after the girl was handcuffed and taken to a police station for allegedly throwing furniture, tearing items off the walls and knocking over a shelf, which injured the principal.

Follow @msnbc_us

"A 6-year-old in kindergarten?" Earnest Johnson, the father of Salecia Johson, asked with disbelief. "They have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child," he told WMAZ-TV.

Police defended their actions during the incident which occurred last Friday at Creekside Elementary School in Milledgeville, Ga.
Advertise | AdChoices

"Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

The family on Tuesday demanded that the city change its policy, the Associated Press reported, and claimed the girl was shaken up while at the police station.

The police officer called to the school later wrote that he "noticed damage to school property and possible assault of other students and staff. I made six attempts to contact her mother via telephone.""

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Or maybe that's what caused her anger problems in the first place. What an ignorant thing to say.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Seems like these days, they need to get started early since the parents don't do anything to punish their children with the exception of "time-out". Yeah time-out will teach kids some real discipline. :huh:
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    If her parents spanked her, this wouldn't be a problem...

^^^^^^ this

think it's lawyer's fault, all these lawsuits, had the school tried to do anything they would have been sued for millions because they prevented the child from hurting themselves or others

seriously, when someone else's kid is going nuts, knocking over bookcases and hurting people, what can you do that won't get you sued?

1950 you could spank them, now you have to call the police.
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options

LOL second spanking reference I've seen in a thread... How do you REALLY feel about spanking, Amber? ;-)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

LOL second spanking reference I've seen in a thread... How do you REALLY feel about spanking, Amber? ;-)

LMFAO I was joking, but it gets panties in a bunch, and it's partially true... lol
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Or maybe that's what caused her anger problems in the first place. What an ignorant thing to say.

doesn't sound like it:

"Johnson's mother, Constance Ruff, says her daughter was suspended until the start of the next school year.

"She has mood swings some days, which all of us have mood swings some days," she told WMAZ-TV. "I guess that was just one of her bad days.""

seriously? she has mood swings and "everyone does it" is her excuse for her child hurting the principal?
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options

A wooden spoon speaks volumes.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Wow. She had to be crazy out of control. Makes me wonder what is going on at home...
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If my kid was a nightmare, I would applaud them taking her away in handcuffs. Maybe she will think about it next time. Scared straight!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options

This.
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    And of course here come the parents who come along angry that someone else has to deal with their child! Granted maybe handcuffs wasn't the solution but the parents certainly have woken up to their child's problem now! Thank goodness she is only 6, it'll be a lot less harder to fix than a teenager who cries out for attention in violent ways.
  • _Dan_
    Options

LMFAO I was joking, but it gets panties in a bunch, and it's partially true... lol

Yeah, I had quite a chuckle realizing you were trolling in the last thread. ^_^
  • Riles911
    Riles911 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with a co-worker of mine and found it interesting that her immediate reaction was to say that the school was wrong. In my opinion, this child's age shouldn't matter. It is the school's responsibility to protect the staff and students. If a student poses a threat to the environment, regardless of age, the school has to take action to control the situation. I mean, the principal got hurt because this student pushed a shelf over on him/her! If this were a Jr. High or High School student, reactions would be totally different. Everyone would be like, "Yeah! That kid should be punished!!" Why is it different because this child is younger? Isn't it better to try to put a stop to this kind of behavior BEFORE the child gets any older? Just my opinion!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

Yeah, I had quite a chuckle realizing you were trolling in the last thread. ^_^

glad you approve :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    She needs to see a psychologist and talk it out. It seems that she has some anger issues. Small children should not be put in jail, they are just kids and they need someone to take care of them and to me this seems like her outcry for help.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    I was discussing this with a co-worker of mine and found it interesting that her immediate reaction was to say that the school was wrong. In my opinion, this child's age shouldn't matter. It is the school's responsibility to protect the staff and students. If a student poses a threat to the environment, regardless of age, the school has to take action to control the situation. I mean, the principal got hurt because this student pushed a shelf over on him/her! If this were a Jr. High or High School student, reactions would be totally different. Everyone would be like, "Yeah! That kid should be punished!!" Why is it different because this child is younger? Isn't it better to try to put a stop to this kind of behavior BEFORE the child gets any older? Just my opinion!

In all seriousness, I completely agree
  • _Dan_
    Options

A wooden spoon speaks volumes.

My mom hit me with a metal spoon once when I was a teen... and I'm perfectly fine. The other personalities, however, can get quite rowdy ;-)
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I :heart: you
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    When a child goes on that much of a rant especially in school there is definitely a problem with discipline at home.I have 3 kids one of which has ADHD and he would NEVER even think about acting like this at home or at school,because he knows he'd in in MAJOR trouble when he got home!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    bump