6 yr old taken to police station in handcuffs

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    If my kid was a nightmare, I would applaud them taking her away in handcuffs. Maybe she will think about it next time. Scared straight!

My mom had my sister arrested one time (she wasn't actually charged with anything, but she basically had the police scare the crap out of her) when she was 13. My sis was a typical out of control teen, thought she could talk to anybody however she wanted, lots of anger issues. She slapped my mom so she got carted out of the house in handcuffs---and now my sister wouldn't even dare talk back to my mom! That one incident taught her a LOT about what happens when you act like an *kitten* in the real world.

If your child is THAT out of control at age 6, there is something going on with them. Whether they have extreme emotional issues, have issues at home, or a chemical imbalance, there is something wrong. Parents need to do a better job of recognizing that their children have issues instead of just embracing what special little flowers they are.

We didn't agree in the other thread but I def agree with this ^

Ha, we CAN all get along!

Haha, I don't hold grudges (at least not on forums). We can disagree, in a heated fashion even, on another thread but if I agree with you on another, I will sure as hell give you credit for it! :flowerforyou:

There's only 3 people that are, essentially, dead to me on this board. Otherwise, I live and let live (is that the phrase? :laugh:)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    If my kid was a nightmare, I would applaud them taking her away in handcuffs. Maybe she will think about it next time. Scared straight!

My mom had my sister arrested one time (she wasn't actually charged with anything, but she basically had the police scare the crap out of her) when she was 13. My sis was a typical out of control teen, thought she could talk to anybody however she wanted, lots of anger issues. She slapped my mom so she got carted out of the house in handcuffs---and now my sister wouldn't even dare talk back to my mom! That one incident taught her a LOT about what happens when you act like an *kitten* in the real world.

If your child is THAT out of control at age 6, there is something going on with them. Whether they have extreme emotional issues, have issues at home, or a chemical imbalance, there is something wrong. Parents need to do a better job of recognizing that their children have issues instead of just embracing what special little flowers they are.

We didn't agree in the other thread but I def agree with this ^

Ha, we CAN all get along!

Haha, I don't hold grudges (at least not on forums). We can disagree, in a heated fashion even, on another thread but if I agree with you on another, I will sure as hell give you credit for it! :flowerforyou:

There's only 3 people that are, essentially, dead to me on this board. Otherwise, I live and let live (is that the phrase? :laugh:)

now I want names....or am I one?
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Not sure how many in this thread are parents but it's my personal belief that a child is a representation of a parent doing there job.If a parent is doing what they are supposed to be doing and Parenting!! This would not even be an issue..it's those parents who think their child is expressing themselves,or just going through a phase,or as stated by OP having a bad day!! To me that just makes me laugh that the mother would even say she was having a bad day.This a child even at 6 (my youngest is 7) who has had hardly any discipline at home,and to me the parents are just as big a problem as the child's behavior was.If it was my 7 year old I would say good for the police for handcuffing her,she not only put herself in harms way but other children and teachers.That will NOT be tolerated for any reason!!

Sorry to rant LOL
  • hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This must be ugly side of the board, but it's easy to judge until it's YOUR little girl being handcuffed thrown in a police car. God have mercy on all of you.

I have already sold my soul. No mercy needed.
    Ok, Mr. Big Stuff. :-)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administration do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.

if there are restraining bruises on her because she's having these issues at home too and the parents arent taking care of it, then yeah cps should be called so the parents get the help either they, their kid or both needs to help this girl deal with whatever issues are making her act this way, whether they're mental, physical or just lazy discipline issues.

Yes, but what I'm getting out of a lot of the responses is "yeah, they handcuffed a 6 year old and kicked her out of school." I'm getting very little "the parents have some sort of accountability." and getting even less "it's a shame that it had to come to this, hopefully now this child can get the help she really needs." Not only that, generally (remember there are exceptions to every rule) there's an escillation process, it's not like one day a switch goes off in someone's head saying "today is the day I'm going to freak the fvuk out and destroy stuff and hurt people." (unless there has been a recent terribly traumatic incident) . . . so where was the help and concern before?

There was a boy in my school who had severe emotional problems. Would throw fits that nobody could do anything about but get out of the way. I went to school with him from elementary school until we graduated from high school. He never got violent, threw things occasionally, but other than that he never hit anyone unless they hit him first. The school asked his mother countless times to get him help and she never did. She was in complete denial about his issues. It wasn't a matter of it being a bad home. She loved both of her kids and took very good care of them, but WOULD NOT admit that her son had a problem. Maybe the school needed to be more aggressive about getting him counseling, but really, what do you do with a situation like that? Without traumatizing the kid in the process?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    they could have isolated the child in another way. If security was needed, so be it. If the police were needed, they could have taken the child into a room and contacted the parents/emergency contacts. Handcuffs is excessive for a 6 year old. I do agree there is a safety issue at stake though.

But wasn't it stated that the police officer tried to get ahold of the mother 6 times? How many times do the police need to try and contact the parents before they need to do anything? If the authorities kept that child in an empty room until the parents came to pick the child up, they would be complaining about that too... By the way... the parents didn't come pick up the child... the aunt did, so I wonder how long she was in "custody" of the police.

Wait a dang minute, her parents didn't even pick her up? Sorry but the schools my children attend have my cell #, work #, my bosses desk # and the # to one of the admins (in case I'm in a meeting). If I'm in a meeting and the school calls, someone is pulling me out of said meeting.

I'm not sure there was anything else the officer could've done, maybe he was more concerned for her safety if she was going all batsh*t crazy. Perhaps he saw the mess she made and decided he didn't want her trying to come at him like a rabid bobcat when they arrived at the police station.

It's really hard to say since I wasn't there, but I don't think he was out of line. I think the parents are out of line that the school calls you 6 times and you don't answer/return a call. There's a reason they make you fill out the emergency contact cards.

I think it's safe to assume this was probably the FIRST time they've had to deal with an out of control 6 y/o. I'm sure they'll be writing up an SOP for these types of situations!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administration do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.

if there are restraining bruises on her because she's having these issues at home too and the parents arent taking care of it, then yeah cps should be called so the parents get the help either they, their kid or both needs to help this girl deal with whatever issues are making her act this way, whether they're mental, physical or just lazy discipline issues.

Yes, but what I'm getting out of a lot of the responses is "yeah, they handcuffed a 6 year old and kicked her out of school." I'm getting very little "the parents have some sort of accountability." and getting even less "it's a shame that it had to come to this, hopefully now this child can get the help she really needs." Not only that, generally (remember there are exceptions to every rule) there's an escillation process, it's not like one day a switch goes off in someone's head saying "today is the day I'm going to freak the fvuk out and destroy stuff and hurt people." (unless there has been a recent terribly traumatic incident) . . . so where was the help and concern before?

Sadly in most cases the kids are taken for a while, parents are ordered to attend classes, they put on a good show and get the kids back and nothings really changed...they might have learned, but doesnt mean they will act uopon it unless there is a scheduled appointment coming up soon from CPS...I know lots of "parents" that dont deserve kids and a few who wanna be parents but sadly cant have kids....
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administrators do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.
    My daughter has a mood disorder. We gave the school documentation with confirmation from her psychiatrist that there could be times where she would have to be physically restrained and some bruising might occur. If this child has some sort of mental illness, she needs treatment, not parents blaming the police and school for dealing with the aftermath of an untreated condition.
    If she's doesn't have some sort of mental illness, then she obviously isn't being disciplined at home. There are witnesses to the handcuffing by the police, there typically aren't witnesses to how bruising occurs at home.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have three questions:

1) How many calories did the 6-yo burn off?
    2) What is this listed as in MFP?
    3) Should she have lifted weights before or after the cardio?

Cheers,

Sean

1) 347
    2) Banchee Screaming
    3) She lifted weights during. It's a hybrid exercise much like 30DS.

Should she eat back her exercise calories
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have three questions:

1) How many calories did the 6-yo burn off?
    2) What is this listed as in MFP?
    3) Should she have lifted weights before or after the cardio?

Cheers,

Sean

1) 347
    2) Banchee Screaming
    3) She lifted weights during. It's a hybrid exercise much like 30DS.

Should she eat back her exercise calories

She consumed at least half of them in the can of coke the cops gave her. She should be good to go.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If my little girl acted like that, I'd have her cuffed (I mean really, are there actually cuffs to hold a 6 yo girl?) and tell her I'll pick her up the next mornging
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    it is sad that it had to come down to this and the poor kid is the one suffering from the fact her parents arent doing their job in my humble yet accurate opinion.

but it should open the eyes of the parents! should I said. obviously its easier for them to focus on someone else that was DOING THEIR JOB as oppossed to the parents doing their job in the first place.

Unless you tell me that this child has a severe mental disorder I say good for the cops and shame on those parents.

This subject just boils my blood. Whats really scary are the kids that are being raised by these parents that dont set them up for the real world arent going to be worth **** when they are adults.

That little girl needs an *kitten* whooping PERIOD. Send her to my house. Those parents need an *kitten* whooping too.

I dont give a damn if this hurts someones feelings or if someone finds this offensive. Suck it up and go discipline your kids cause Im sure if this did hurt your feelings you are one of those *kitten* clowns raising a worthless adult.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Hold on, here's a question. So - it's okay for the police to use handcuffs on a 6 year old, but what would those same school administrators do if they saw a child come to school with signs of restraining bruises on a child's wrists? They'd call those same police officers, and what would those same police officers do when they saw those same restraining bruises? Seriously? You're cheering the school administration and police on for doing the same thing that a parent would be arrested for doing and CPS would be called in for observing.
    My daughter has a mood disorder. We gave the school documentation with confirmation from her psychiatrist that there could be times where she would have to be physically restrained and some bruising might occur. If this child has some sort of mental illness, she needs treatment, not parents blaming the police and school for dealing with the aftermath of an untreated condition.
    If she's doesn't have some sort of mental illness, then she obviously isn't being disciplined at home. There are witnesses to the handcuffing by the police, there typically aren't witnesses to how bruising occurs at home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS

the only real problem i have with the story is the parents are not taking responsibility for anything. They said their child is "moody" and was "having a bad day" and then blamed the school and police even after they tried to call the parents 6 times.

Parents really should have apologized profusely and promised to get their child the help they obviously need, NOT blame the govt for their child's bad behavior. But with these parents ignoring their child's behavior I guarantee this kid will be in prison someday. Why would anyone want their child to go to prison?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

i whole heartedly agree that its the parents fault/problem/issue no matter what the girl's reasons/problems are that made her do this.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

if you see my previous post, i agree with this fully.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If her parents spanked her, this wouldn't be a problem...

A wooden spoon speaks volumes.

*sigh* Oh memories...I had many a wooden spoon broken over my bum and I turned out fine.

Yup.....those wooden spoons.....They hurt when they broke. When I was 12 I made the mistake of telling my mother that the spoon didn't hurt anymore when they broke.....The next time I got in trouble....I quickly noticed that she bought longer and thicker wooden spoons! She's a smart lady!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This must be ugly side of the board, but it's easy to judge until it's YOUR little girl being handcuffed thrown in a police car. God have mercy on all of you.

Nobody here is denying the fact that it was unfortunate that something like this happened and I seriously wish that the girl wont have a permanent record.

But seriously, stop pampering your kids so much. I grew up in a different kind of culture, where raising your voice (not hands, VOICE) means you're in serious trouble (and I dont mean time-out). We were taught from day 1 that we were the one responsible for our actions. I'm sure every parent goes through questioning himself/herself about making the right or wrong choices and no parent is perfect and that goes for my parents too but they must've done something right by not treating me like a prince and turning me into a spoiled brat because now all my siblings and I are jail-free, have gotten atleast their undergrad and in general are good contributors to the society.

Also, if you think that a 6 years old should be ignored of their tantrums, then what age do you start punishing them for throwing things at adults? 10? 13? 18? Or do you wait till he gets shot/beat up/jailed?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

There was a boy in my school who had severe emotional problems. Would throw fits that nobody could do anything about but get out of the way. I went to school with him from elementary school until we graduated from high school. He never got violent, threw things occasionally, but other than that he never hit anyone unless they hit him first. The school asked his mother countless times to get him help and she never did. She was in complete denial about his issues. It wasn't a matter of it being a bad home. She loved both of her kids and took very good care of them, but WOULD NOT admit that her son had a problem. Maybe the school needed to be more aggressive about getting him counseling, but really, what do you do with a situation like that? Without traumatizing the kid in the process?

That is the question, isn't it. My husband works with teenagers and we discuss this all the time. How do you get parents to see? How do you get parents to care? Kids are like pitbulls, there are very few that are innately bad . . . so many are taught to be that way (well, except maybe emotionally, children are the experts at emotional abuse on each other . . . but that's another topic for another time). We talk regularly about the kids that he works with and you can tell which ones the parents have a good idea of their children's proclivities and which ones who prefer to only see what they want and make excuses for poor behavior. How do you force parents to be accountable for child rearing, and if the parents aren't going to acknowledge accountablity how do you expect the child to be any different?
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    should have hogtied her. solves the handcuffs problem.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It is because of parents like these that kids are the way they are today... whatever happened to having consequences. She was shaken up well f'n good, she damaged school property and was disrespectful...

My daughter took a pair of slippers out of the store after I had told her they needed to be placed back (she was 4) - when I noticed she had them I took her straight to the mall security desk, had her stand with her brother for a second and I spoke to the cop telling him that i needed to teach her a lesson about taking what wasn't hers... he went along. Lesson learned!!!!