6 yr old taken to police station in handcuffs

Options

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry... but if my kid acted like an animal they would be treated like an animal.... bring on the squirty bottle... there would be no amount of "mood swings" that would make think otherwise either... mood swings or not it is NOT acceptible to have a tantrum that results in throwing furniture and tearing stuff off the wall...

Bring on the flames.

No flames. Just applause !!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    wow, that'll teach her I guess.

hopefully it teaches the parents!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    no way. a 6 year old doesn't understand things the way an adult does. you arrest the parents.

Arrest the parents? Really? Way to teach the kids they will be held responsible for their actions.....

its the parents responsibility to figure how to hold their children responsible. Again- kids don't have the mind capacity to understand the concept of being arrested. arresting a kid doesn't solve any problems.

Sometimes we tell my 5 year old that the vegetable police are going to put him in jail if he doesn't eat his veggies at dinner. Usually does the trick!

But no, seriously, I think the child AND the parents both need to be held accountable here.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

I'm all for law enforcement "doing their job" the Nazis used the same excuse, true story

What I have a problem with is that stupid phrase overruling common sense. come on, 6? How strong is a 6yr. old that you can't detain her without handcuffs? :noway:
  • MelanieL1984
    Options
    I was discussing this with a co-worker of mine and found it interesting that her immediate reaction was to say that the school was wrong. In my opinion, this child's age shouldn't matter. It is the school's responsibility to protect the staff and students. If a student poses a threat to the environment, regardless of age, the school has to take action to control the situation. I mean, the principal got hurt because this student pushed a shelf over on him/her! If this were a Jr. High or High School student, reactions would be totally different. Everyone would be like, "Yeah! That kid should be punished!!" Why is it different because this child is younger? Isn't it better to try to put a stop to this kind of behavior BEFORE the child gets any older? Just my opinion!

I completely agree with this. I hope that child was scared straight. Like it was mentioned before, she learned or was allowed this behavior at home. So, it shows a lack of discipline for the parents. Hopefully, this will make an impression on a 6 year old that that behavior is 100% UNACCEPTABLE.

If my child was taken to jail in handcuffs 6 or 16....I would them simmer on that for a while. I'm sorry, these days unconventional discipline speaks mounds!!!

I have 4 children ranging from 4 to 14 and everyone of them is respectable, polite, and mind the rules. Sure a little detention here or there for missing or late assignements or being late to class. Otherwise, they respect their educators. So I must be doing something right.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that my faith in humanity is restoring reading all the parents who're NOT siding with the kid here. Its unfortunate but seriously...control your kids!

Edit: BTW, to all those "give every kid a participation trophy even after losing a game" kinda parents, what would you have liked the school to do? Just take abuse from a freaking 6 years old?
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My youngest has ADHD and a mood disorder. There are signs earlier than 6 if that is the case for this girl. There were times when I had to physically restrain my daughter. Fortunately, the rages subsided by the time she hit school, but had they not, I would have had no problem with her being handcuffed and removed from the school. She was incredibly strong during these rages and had no regard for her safety or the safety of others. She usually didn't remember what she had done either. And yes, she was/is disciplined...spankings, timeouts, etc...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    no way. a 6 year old doesn't understand things the way an adult does. you arrest the parents.

Arrest the parents? Really? Way to teach the kids they will be held responsible for their actions.....

its the parents responsibility to figure how to hold their children responsible. Again- kids don't have the mind capacity to understand the concept of being arrested. arresting a kid doesn't solve any problems.

I don't understand how that's so difficult to comprehend. It's the parents responsibility to be accountable for their child and get the child the resources they need. If the parents won't willingly seek help for a child who obviously has control issues then the parents should be compelled to do so, carting a 6 year old off to the police station in hand cuffs my scare the poo out of her, but it's not going to solve the root of the issue.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    "Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ-TV.

I'm all for law enforcement "doing their job" the Nazis used the same excuse, true story

What I have a problem with is that stupid phrase overruling common sense. come on, 6? How strong is a 6yr. old that you can't detain her without handcuffs? :noway:

Wow, use of Nazi in four pages.....may be an internet record =P
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    She needs to see a psychologist and talk it out. It seems that she has some anger issues. Small children should not be put in jail, they are just kids and they need someone to take care of them and to me this seems like her outcry for help.

I somewhat agree with this. Yes, the girl has anger issues and needs to get some help. However, when a child is a danger to others, authority figures (police ) need to take appropriate action. Jail and handcuffs might seem excessive to you. I personally dont think it was. however I was not there. Call of the officers involved. Not to mention this child should be going to give the courts and Child services (hopefully) some work to do to work with the parents to get the child the help that she deserves. That child knows the difference between right and wrong and actions have consequences.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with a co-worker of mine and found it interesting that her immediate reaction was to say that the school was wrong. In my opinion, this child's age shouldn't matter. It is the school's responsibility to protect the staff and students. If a student poses a threat to the environment, regardless of age, the school has to take action to control the situation. I mean, the principal got hurt because this student pushed a shelf over on him/her! If this were a Jr. High or High School student, reactions would be totally different. Everyone would be like, "Yeah! That kid should be punished!!" Why is it different because this child is younger? Isn't it better to try to put a stop to this kind of behavior BEFORE the child gets any older? Just my opinion!

fully agree with this. i spanked my child, used time outs etc. She was diagnosed bipolar at a young age finally, but before she was finally stabilized on meds, we had the cops come help more than once, had her taken to the phosp because at age 7 she attempted suicide for the first time and when she went manic right after that it took 3 cops to pin the 7 year old 65 lb kid down long enough to get her into a cop car. Ive had to call the cops on her even now as a teenager because she has lost it when in the middle of med changes enough that im bruised, black-eyed and have a bloody lip. Yea she's still majorly punished because its my firm belief that she can recognize when she's close to taht point and doesnt do what she needs to to stop herself from getting to the point of no return. She agrees, but sometimes, letting loose feels so good, which we all know that release of pent up frustration feels good.

People sometimes need to step back and realize they dont know the whole situation. While i have NO problems using handcuffs on a 6 year old if their/others lifes or well being are jeapordized, you dont know why the child acted like that. It could be a bad home, it could be a lack of discipline, it could be a mental illness, it could be a spoiled rotton child, it could be the school/police went overboard, but its more likely its a combination of all the above. Parenting classes, phych eval, discipline, structure, etc all helps kids, even 'mentally typical' kids (srry its the new politically correct way of saying 'normal').
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options

ever try to restrain a child that is out of control?
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If that were my kid she would be happy the police had her in custody when I came to pick her up.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

I don't understand how that's so difficult to comprehend. It's the parents responsibility to be accountable for their child and get the child the resources they need. If the parents won't willingly seek help for a child who obviously has control issues then the parents should be compelled to do so, carting a 6 year old off to the police station in hand cuffs my scare the poo out of her, but it's not going to solve the root of the issue.

exactly.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. I'm sickened by the fact that the upcoming generations are not taught how to appropriately act and if they do something wrong the first thing they do is look at the school and ask what they are doing wrong. I'm a licensed therapist as well as a middle school counselor and it disheartening how many parents as the teachers why their kid is failing classes. Uh, duh....they are not doing their homework, they are not following rules and they are getting into trouble which is resulting in them being out of the classroom not receiving instruction due to consequences they EARNED.

When I was growing up if I got in trouble or brought home bad grades my parents asked ME what the problem was with ME.....never went to the teacher and blamed them!!!

And even if we have our "moods" we are taught that we do not act out in an inappropriate way. If the kid has a mental health issue then these problems are not new and the parents should be seeking help. Not blaming the school for doing what was necessary to protect the students and staff from harm.

If a child did this in my kid's classroom and my child was in danger and the child was NOT removed from the situation I would be furious that my child was in danger because of the other kid. And if the parent can't be located and the policy is to transport then do what is necessary. My kid acts like that I will shake the hand of the cop who handcuffs him and puts him in the back of the car. (And I'm the mother of a 6 year old)

Kids today need to realize that their behaviors have consequences and that they are responsible for their behaviors. It is not someone elses fault that they did what they did.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options

its not a matter of detaining so much as it is for the safety of the person so they dont hurt themselves anymore....our policy was the same with the addition that if they were kicking you would use feet restraints also...I am of german heritage but no swastika's for me but thanks ....just serve and protect all colors
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My youngest has ADHD and a mood disorder. There are signs earlier than 6 if that is the case for this girl. There were times when I had to physically restrain my daughter. Fortunately, the rages subsided by the time she hit school, but had they not, I would have had no problem with her being handcuffed and removed from the school. She was incredibly strong during these rages and had no regard for her safety or the safety of others. She usually didn't remember what she had done either. And yes, she was/is disciplined...spankings, timeouts, etc...

^^^^ this this this.

this is a big part of my point earlier. My daughter often cant remember what she did after she rages, doesnt give her an excuse for suffering reprocussions, but others need to protect themselves too.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that my faith in humanity is restoring reading all the parents who're NOT siding with the kid here. Its unfortunate but seriously...control your kids!

Edit: BTW, to all those "give every kid a participation trophy even after losing a game" kinda parents, what would you have liked the school to do? Just take abuse from a freaking 6 years old?

I'm all for the squirty bottle approach myself... I mean hey, it works with my cats and dog when they are unruly... so why not on a child that insists on acting like a wild animal? And I'm serious by the way... I fully stand by my orignal comment.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options

ever try to restrain a child that is out of control?

I have restrained a child that is out of control and it is a feat in itself. I used to work in a psychiatric hospital and if you needed to move a child that was out of control it would take multiple trained staff members (mostly male) to do so in a safe way because we couldn't use handcuffs. And I'm talking about 5, 6, and 7 year olds. When they are out of control they are incredibly strong and the danger of someone getting hurt is incredibly high.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    there's a huge difference between arresting a 15 year old kid and a 6 year old. a 15 year old understands what's going on..a 6 year old won't learn a thing.