• deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am not grocery shopping until Sunday but I can start Monday morning
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am not grocery shopping until Sunday but I can start Monday morning
    You can start tomorrow just by thinking about it. :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have been on SB since the beginning of the year and have lost 30+ lbs. It is a great diet, I just found myself hitting plateaus more and longer than I liked because there is no calorie counting. (I also exercised very little). I just joined this site this week in order to start keeping track of my calories. I like seeing the calories in and calories out because it is motivating me to exercise more. I still plan on sticking with the SB diet plan though because I have never felt better for what I am putting into my body. Good luck to you!
    Hi there!
    I've never been officially on SB, but it goes well with what I do. I like it because there isn't calorie counting, but there's lots of educating. Have you read the new(er) supercharged book? Perhaps that can help you with your journey (since the whole supercharged THING is workouts, mostly walking)?
  • bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just started it yesterday. I did it a few years ago as a jump start to weight watchers and it worked. After having a medical issue and going through menopause I've gained the weight back and weight watchers is no longer working so I'm giving SB a try again hoping to be successful. There are a few groups on here that are on SB. I joined one today.

I'm curious to know if this works for you. I'm struggling with the same problem. I'm doing weight watchers now, but I am stuck at 7 lbs. lost. I am going through menopause as well and it's really difficult. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I just started it yesterday. I did it a few years ago as a jump start to weight watchers and it worked. After having a medical issue and going through menopause I've gained the weight back and weight watchers is no longer working so I'm giving SB a try again hoping to be successful. There are a few groups on here that are on SB. I joined one today.

I'm curious to know if this works for you. I'm struggling with the same problem. I'm doing weight watchers now, but I am stuck at 7 lbs. lost. I am going through menopause as well and it's really difficult. Add me as a friend if you like.
    Going slow carb has been MY friend at this time!
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes I have read it Supercharged and use a lot of recipes out of it. Half of the book is devoted towards exercise, but it didn't motivate me to get moving. I have since fixed that by reading Master Your Metabolism. It is hard to read or see anything Jillian Michaels does and not be motivated to do some form of exercise. I think since I am a mathematically minded person that seeing my calories in and calories out will help me to move more. Don't get me wrong, I am still doing South Beach and LOVE the diet, but I need a more in your face see the numbers to get me to burn those calories. Just the fact that I lost 30+ lbs without working out shows you how bad off I was. But that was yesterday.
  • lauraniculita
    lauraniculita Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hi all hope i can join on this SB journey too. I bought the book halfway through reading it and hoping to start phase 1 on Monday. I have only been on a healthy diet for the last 3 weeks and already hit plateau I have at least 20lbs to loose and hoping to do it in 2 months (june + july). I have 2 questions:
    - do you have to eat exactly all the meals as outlined day by day in the book, or can you make up your own meals (without so much cooking as in the book) but obviously still following just the foods that are allowed
    -can you have sugar free fruit flavored jelly on phase 1?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    hi all hope i can join on this SB journey too. I bought the book halfway through reading it and hoping to start phase 1 on Monday. I have only been on a healthy diet for the last 3 weeks and already hit plateau I have at least 20lbs to loose and hoping to do it in 2 months (june + july). I have 2 questions:
    - do you have to eat exactly all the meals as outlined day by day in the book, or can you make up your own meals (without so much cooking as in the book) but obviously still following just the foods that are allowed
    -can you have sugar free fruit flavored jelly on phase 1?
    Yes and yes.
    :-)
    You don't need to ever eat the meals as outlined. Just follow the foods he recommends.
    And:
    SWEET TREATS (Phase 1)
    limit to 75-100 calories per day.
    candies, hard, sugar-free
    chocolate powder, no sugar added
    chocolate syrup, sugar-free
    cocoa powder, unsweetened baking type (also for cocoa)
    drink mix, sugar-free and nutrient-enhanced
    fudgsicles, no sugar added
    gleatin, sugar-free
    gum, sugar-free
    syrups, sugar-free
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yes I have read it Supercharged and use a lot of recipes out of it. Half of the book is devoted towards exercise, but it didn't motivate me to get moving. I have since fixed that by reading Master Your Metabolism. It is hard to read or see anything Jillian Michaels does and not be motivated to do some form of exercise. I think since I am a mathematically minded person that seeing my calories in and calories out will help me to move more. Don't get me wrong, I am still doing South Beach and LOVE the diet, but I need a more in your face see the numbers to get me to burn those calories. Just the fact that I lost 30+ lbs without working out shows you how bad off I was. But that was yesterday.
    I've never read or seen Jillian Michaels. She's good?
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Very good. She gained a lot of fame as one of the trainers on Biggest Loser. It is hard to read her without thinking she isn't telling you to get up and move. Her book also provides a lot of the science that makes since on why things work and why they don't.
  • shibainugal
    shibainugal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of phase 1. I started the diet Wednesday. I've tried it twice in the past but I never got past phase 1 before quitting. My weight loss had hit a plateau despite exercise and counting calories. So, I thought I would give SBD a go again.
  • lauraniculita
    lauraniculita Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    im exactly the same.. i have hit a plateau even though ive only really started dieting and exercise for a month :(
  • smurlene
    smurlene Posts: 72
    Options
    Is tHis group still active?

I lost 100 lbs on SB. Even after fertility drugs and a pregnancy, I managed to keep off 50 of it.

I just got back on track last week.

I love South Beach because I never go to bed hungry!

I have 151 lbs to lose, so I'll be around awhile.
  • smurlene
    Options
    If you are having trouble with phase 1, skip to phase 2. Ive never done phase 1.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! :flowerforyou:

I used SBD as a model for changing my diet, although my focus is more on cutting out sugar. In any case, I'd say I follow SBD about 80% but I eat a lot fewer whole grains. I also don't do artificial sweeteners.
  • spulido01
    spulido01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am on SBD for about a week and a half. down 12lbs. Phase 1. Love it. I am not hungry, I have energy and actually went out for a sushi one night and didn't allow myself to panic over "being off program". I love the book. Very informational. I did switch over to the exercise plan he recommends and I think that is one of the big helps.

I will admit that I do keep track of my calories (having done Atkins for a brief time) I understand how easy it can be to go over a good healthy calorie level. But I do my snacks and I have my dessert so I can't complain. Anyone else drop a nice large amount and how did the switch to phase 2 go. I admit a little nervous about making it. Love the weight drop.

Sharon
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am on SBD for about a week and a half. down 12lbs. Phase 1. Love it. I am not hungry, I have energy and actually went out for a sushi one night and didn't allow myself to panic over "being off program". I love the book. Very informational. I did switch over to the exercise plan he recommends and I think that is one of the big helps.

I will admit that I do keep track of my calories (having done Atkins for a brief time) I understand how easy it can be to go over a good healthy calorie level. But I do my snacks and I have my dessert so I can't complain. Anyone else drop a nice large amount and how did the switch to phase 2 go. I admit a little nervous about making it. Love the weight drop.

Sharon
    Hey, congrats! I think the exercise plan he added in the new book is great!
    My take on SBD: it's a good primer for eating healthy, once you get past phase 1. The weight loss will likely slow way down, but as he says THAT is the actual diet, not phase one. Good for you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm still here! :flowerforyou:

I used SBD as a model for changing my diet, although my focus is more on cutting out sugar. In any case, I'd say I follow SBD about 80% but I eat a lot fewer whole grains. I also don't do artificial sweeteners.
    I used it as a model for changing mine about 12 years ago. I also don't do artificial sweeteners, except stevia.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hi there !

Three years ago I opened an old SB book & decided to give it a try ...... changed some eating habits & lost a few pounds on Phase 1 ...... started Phase 2 and lost a little more ...... then joined the online group, where I got lots of ideas & support ...... what a great bunch of people !

After three years, I decided to try things on my own ....... have successfully maintained a 40+ pound weight loss, which is super ! But I've still got room for improvement ...... some online friends (former SB members) suggested I try MFP ....... well, I was shocked at how quickly those calories add up ...... so I've been tweaking my meals & going to the gym for more cardio ....... this site's enabled me to lose a few more pounds over the last month ....... I still eat close to SB ...... VEGGIES ARE OUR FRIENDS !

Best of luck to all of you ...... and feel free to "friend" me :flowerforyou:
  • smurlene
    Options
    Isn't it crazy about the calories? When I lost weight on SB in 2006, I never counted a single calorie. For some reason, it worked. But this time around, it just didn't until I started counting calories.

I'm at 1,780, and that seems perfect for me. I was already eating fairly Beachy before, so I didn't gave that huge drop like I did before. I have lost five lbs in ten days. Not bad considering I havent been hungry and I've enjoyed some carbs along the way.