RUNNERS!!! Observations on the run...

Options

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Those wheelchair ramps they've installed on every single street corner in my town sure come in handy when I've lost my form and find myself shuffling home (it's not as often anymore). :)
  • DanTheRunningMan
    Options
    I guess Seattle people are generally friendly to runners. I’ve heard of cyclists getting buzzed, but never a runner.

Morning people are quite friendly, often smiling or saying hello. By afternoon, they kind of keep to themselves.

It’s not obvious whether the smell of cooking donuts in the morning is a good or bad thing.

People stare at you quite openly when you’re wearing sunglasses. It’s very strange.

Little dogs on leashes have a comically inflated sense of power.

When you see a dog owner with a leash in one hand and a cell phone in the other, God help you.

Wearing glasses in the rain sucks

Good socks are a hell of a lot more important than expensive running shoes.

You should always smile and greet someone who appears to be new or overweight but out there trying. Seeing them smile will fuel you for miles.
    A well-placed water fountain can rock your world. A well place public restroom, doubly so.

People are always taken aback when you return a wallet or keys you found.

Hills are 20 degrees steeper on foot than on a motorcycle. Scientists don't know why.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What about the overly kind driver, who waits for you to cross the intersection before they turn, even though you are still 50 yards away?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    that hill was not as big when i was driving up it before, top observation.
    agree with the nose picking and swerving.
    i observe people looking at me strange and honking too. what you've never seen a person run before? get off your fat *kitten* and try it for a change.
    i have also observed that deer make a funny snorting sound, almost like a horse (maybe that's just deer in new york state).
    and that there are way too many roots from trees that stick up
  • keem88
    Options
    oh yeah, and shoes up on the telephone pole!! how'd ya get there?
  • keem88
    Options
    and i observe other cross country runners, we have this funny run with our arms and our hands go kinda limp, you know...
    :tongue:
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

In my town it shows that there is a drug dealer on the street.
    Interesting, the odd things you learn from knowing cops. lol
  • keem88
    Options

In my town it shows that there is a drug dealer on the street.
    Interesting, the odd things you learn from knowing cops. lol

hmmm that is neat. love random fun facts!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Where I run at surfers paradise in Australia alongside the beach there is so many asian tourists that are wearing almost full business suits that stand in front of the waves and freak out like they have never even seen one before or been to a beach in their entire life its hilarious.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    -crosswalk lights take forever!
    -Canada Geese are not at all intimidated by my presence, pigeons are
    -the river I run by is beautiful
    -people litter
    -Old Cow Town smells exactly like you would imagine
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    What about the overly kind driver, who waits for you to cross the intersection before they turn, even though you are still 50 yards away?
    ^^haha, this!!!
  • Canbfit4life
    Options
    Ppl staring looking as if you're crazy
    Strange cats & dogs thinking it's time to play or eat
    Ppl actually stay @ the light even after it changes just to look at my *kitten* when I'm running
    women all ages acting like I'm in a parade waving. Or making comments I wish I could do what you're doing
    I've notice random things that get loss like shirts & socks
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ppl staring looking as if you're crazy
    Strange cats & dogs thinking it's time to play or eat
    Ppl actually stay @ the light even after it changes just to look at my *kitten* when I'm running
    women all ages acting like I'm in a parade waving. Or making comments I wish I could do what you're doing
    I've notice random things that get loss like shirts & socks

There has been a single running shoe (a nice one!) in the middle of my street for a week.
    1. How do you lose a shoe?
    2. How do you never come back for it?!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've observed:

- That one neighbor is definitely having an affair with another one.
    - That the lady down the street likes to walk her dog early in the morning (<6 AM) in nothing but bra and panties.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I get weird looks from a lot of the moms with kids who are walking the sidewalks.
    I also once saw a syringe on the ground. That was comforting....
    I think my favorite moment though was I was turning around on a cul-de-sac. There were a couple 3-4 year olds playing outside on the other side of the road on their tricycles. As I rounded the cul-de-sac and headed towards them, the littlest one road right up to me with his tric in the middle of the sidewalk and yelled STOP as if we were playing a game. It was really funny. I told him I couldn't stop and had to keep running. Really cute though.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I too love the smell of the lilac bushes or honeysuckles.
    I hate the smell of a bush i run past furthur down the road that smells like BUTT! I dont know what that is called. lol
    I love the outside smell except a dead animal that is gross.
    I llove to pass the cows and goats on our road.
    I Like how the people who used to look like they were laughing at me a year ago are suprised now and look at me with anything but laughter!
    I like how i feel when i really did not feel like running that day, once i am half way finished I have an accomplished feeling the makes me want to go longer and Jump for joy that i DID IT AGAIN!
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Walkers will say good morning. Runners keep to themselves.
    A big smile and a hello from a fellow runner resets my mindset to enjoying the run. So I pay it forward.
    Echo other's sentiments about little dogs. They all want to take on my German Shepherd.
    That hill in the distance isn't actually so far away once you start running towards it.
    If it's raining, wear a hat.
    Ducks and swans and water hens in my neighbourhood don't get up until just before sunrise. Then they make a noise about it!
    Echo sentiments about dog poo. It's not that hard to bag it up!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Walkers will say good morning. Runners keep to themselves.
    I always acknowledge anyone who's out moving their bodies. They might not always return the greeting, but that's cool.
    A big smile and a hello from a fellow runner resets my mindset to enjoying the run. So I pay it forward.
    And that's why :)
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    And the runners who kick their feet out sideways when they run.

LOL! What? Seriously?! All I can picture is the episode of Friends with Phoebe running like a crazy person.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA...that episode was the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic! You beat me to it though. :) LOVE FRIENDS

Lots of girls in China kick their feet out to the side when they run. Men find it cute... but not when I do it apparently. :-(
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree with just about all of this. The guy with the bra/panties dog walker...is she hot? nevermind, in my mind she's hot.

In Spring Hill, Fl...nobody seems to own a leash and they all act as though I am harassing THEM.
    I swear there are monsters or a boogie man in the vacant lot around the corner.
    Jasmine smells very good and nothing like the yellow tree air freshener.