Replies

• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    People say you shouldn't run while wearing earbuds or headphones because you won't hear traffic, but I'm so aware of noises around me that there's been times I thought I heard a car, but it was someone running a vacuum cleaner inside their house, or maybe an AC unit humming.

And yesterday, I was amazed (and glad) that a 42" high fence is enough to keep a Great Dane in a yard. You'd think he could just step over it.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I run near a bay that retracts back very far and leaves many marine life in the mud
    I'm a poker and have poked at
    -sting ray's
    -blue jelly fish
    -shovel nose shark
    -big fish
    -crabs
    -prawn's

Yes, I have to stop and poke, they get the better of me
    -All the people that pass me by say the same thing "great way to exercise" (plus I have 3kids with me) so I came up with the best non cocky response I could use every time "trying to stay healthy"
    I hear it at least 5 times EVERY time I go for a run, It's lovely and they think they are original.

.......And shadow is my best friend.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    - LEOs are notorious tailgaters (following closely)
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Running in West Texas is always a challenge because of the wind, but I would rather run beside a tornado than inside on a track. So much more interesting and it seems that outside you can run faster and stronger.
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I need this shirt!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT66N_yGNcol8G_x41TP0l5NTVG6GBOCWVyAIAnE8MUYW5UgTZcUg
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    In Adelaide, Australia, Belair National Park - Emus love feral olives, their droppings are purple when the olives are fruiting. You can always tell when a Koala is in a tree above you cause their turds are unlike any other - and copious.
    And for running style, I think I do most of these at various stages

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2012/04/15/dont-be-that-awkward-runner/

What an awesome place to run
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I live in a small country town, so I tend to get a lot of the follow
    - kangaroo's hoping across the road or track
    - drivers waving or nodding to you (i like this acknowledgement)
    - empty beer bottles on the side of the road

i will also state, that i have used eucalyptus leaves to blow my nose
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rural Eastern Ontario Canada-
    1. Roads always slope off to the side so it's easier to run on the shoulder because it's flatter.
    2. Lots of walkers and cyclists but I think my husband and I are the only people I've seen running out here in the near vicinity.
    3. Vehicles are very accomodating and usually pull over to the next lane to pass.
    4. Favourite sighting to date. As I was passing a hayfield between two homes suddenly I heard a loud woof and looked over in the field and there was a huge Saint Bernard running towards me. He must have been laying down in the field. He gave me a couple of woofs and I said go home bud and he did. I've since seen the same dog playing with a cockapoo in the same area. I don't worry about him at all. Most other dogs seem to be contained here even though it's country and just bark but can't come after me. I'm slow runner so I'm glad.
    5. Lots of McDonald's and Tim Horton's. Seriously will never understand why people feel the need to drive to the country and throw their litter out their car window.
    6. Sounds- Osprey sqawking as i pass there nest and lots of woodpecker pecking. Only place where gunshots are just normal and not dangerous. Just boys out in the back forty playing with their guns.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    White Jeep Libertys look like storm trooper helmets

troop.jpg
  • tuneses
    Options

5. Lots of McDonald's and Tim Horton's. Seriously will never understand why people feel the need to drive to the country and throw their litter out their car window.

My husband's first observation of Canada was that the only trash on the side of the road was Tim Horton's cups lol
  • Alwaysnancy
    Options
    Haha I checked your profile and I see that we are relatively neighbours. I live about a half hour west of Kingston Ontario so definitely you've seen the same thing on the roads that I do.
  • tuneses
    Options
    Haha I checked your profile and I see that we are relatively neighbours. I live about a half hour west of Kingston Ontario so definitely you've seen the same thing on the roads that I do.

I'm from Ottawa :)
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I loved reading these! I am jealous of some of the nice locations you are running, near mountains, etc.

I run in my neighborhood around a big lake/park. There are always TONS Of runners/walkers. The one time it was pretty empty was immediately after a lightening storm a month ago.

I sometimes see guys running in gas masks- training for some sort of military thing?

I also see tons of ducks and they aren't scared at all!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly a runner, but when I do... " A lot of people don't like eye contact. I like to look people in the eye and wave hello. Some people act like I'm trying to shove my boobs in their face when I do that, looking everywhere but at me, even from several feet away. "
    LrRooster says it perfectly. It always makes me happy when people LOOK at my face and smile. If you don't say hi it's even creepier than if you do say hi!
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    -crosswalk lights take forever!
    -Canada Geese are not at all intimidated by my presence, pigeons are
    -the river I run by is beautiful
    -people litter
    -Old Cow Town smells exactly like you would imagine

Is it creepy that I knew where you were from by reading this? I clicked your profile to verify that I was right. I live just north of ICT

running outside time and distance is def shorter than a treadmill.
    if i get to run outside which means taking both my toddlers I should get triple credit for pushing 50+ lbs of kid
    My town does not up keep sidewalks and also has and do not have sidewalks in strange places
  • Alwaysnancy
    Options
    Just got back from today's run and I had to post this new observation. Buzzards circling. Hubby said this is not a good sign.:smile:
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Also my extreme fear of snakes makes me not want to run outside.
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    - Crosswalks w/o stoplights and driveways can be the most treacherous.
    - Walkers will occasionally refuse to share the sidewalk, so it become a game of chicken.
    - Sometimes you see the unexpected like a wild young buck in Oakland, CA not far from the airport.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read later!

The other day I went on a route I have gone several times, but for some reason saw at least a dozen banana peels along the way. WTH?