RUNNERS!!! Observations on the run...

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I run in a country park behind my house that has lakes, LOTS of geese,ducks, swans and other wildlife and beautiful tracks for cyclists,walkers,runners and anyone who wants to enjoy it...but the thing I see the most are tons of dog turds littered every 10 yards and dogs who are so out of control they are incredibly aggressive to the wildlife. i saw a pitbull bite a sawn and it's owner insisted that '' he's only playing and wouldn't hurt a fly'...time to find somewhere else to run, i think.
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    ...Buzzards circling. Hubby said this is not a good sign.:smile:

^ YIKES!
  • pasturepilot
    pasturepilot Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a regional airline pilot; by regional I mean that we don't stay in the glamorous spots. I've started running only in the last few months, but here are my observations:

In Atlanta, folks wave back if you're in a residential neighborhood. On the city streets, they think you're a suicide bomber.

In Detroit (really Romulus), if I kick my Vibrams off and run barefoot along the road passing a corn field, people stop and stare like I'm the village idiot.

In Jackson, Mississippi, folks check to make sure you aren't a prison escapee - there is no other justifiable reason to be running in Jackson.

In Stamford, Connecticut, people won't make eye contact and smile.

In Memphis, you can go run along the cobblestones on the banks of the Mississippi.

In New Orleans, you can dodge puddles of puke while jogging along the banks of the same river.

In Destin, look out jogging along the beaches at sunrise. You're liable to interrupt spring break-ing college students right as they reach "the moment" on the beach.

The hotel I stay at in White Plains, NY is on an island bounded by major highways on all sides. Got used to running in circles there. Ran through the parking lot of the U.S. Tennis Association there. There isn't a practice board in the parking lot, but there is a basketball hoop.

I really should start a photo gallery on my blog of the odd stuff I find on the road side while jogging.

Great thread, guys. Keep it going.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I don't run per say but I do notice a lot when walking and I think we are all guilty of a lot of the stuff

- Not making eye contact - I try to say Hi, but I always feel like people are so anti social that I come across more like "Hi I want to kill you hide your body in the bushes and eat your eyeballs"

- That whole "Pedestrians have the right of way in most traffic situations" law in California is more like "suggestion" to all drivers in California -

I hate it when I am crossing a crosswalk and cars are just turning one after another in front of me, behind me etc. The law states you have to wait for the person to cross the crosswalk... At least wait until your side mirror isn't going to clip me...

No one ever stops and looks making a right turn on a green light- that flashing red Go or stick figure sign is a foreign symbol....
  • ashley_d78
    ashley_d78 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    running on grid (dirt) roads at dawn in Canada, means you may get almost run over by a deer.
    I could smell him, I could see the change of color on their hair. I almost had a heart attack.

People thing you are CRAZY for running in the winter .

People can not fathom why you would ever get up at 5 am to run.

people cannot understand why i want a big dog and not a small one. I tried running with my friends teacup terrier, i ended up carrying her.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Dead deer do smell rank - especially in summer
    Drivers in Canada (B.C.) swerve so far around you that they're driving down the other side of the road (watch out for the on-coming cars guys)
    I had a an older guy walking along towards me, stop, literally right in front of me and tell me how bad running was for me - move buddy
    I've found a couple of really cool signs - one telling me where to pick up my baggage
    Drivers are also considerate at stop signs and wait to figure out where you're going (I usually gesture - nicely - with all five fingers)
    I agree - starting in the rain sucks, but finishing in the rain is great
    Running in the snow is so peaceful - it's surreal
    Peoples dinners always smell so goooood
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    In Southern Cali - beach

- Moms with double twin strollers that take up most of the running lanes
    - People on bikes will keep honking their little horns if you are running in the bike lanes
    - There is always at least ONE guy in speedos, with headphones, running, skating, or riding his bike
    - Everyone is pulling out wedgies
    - Every makes appoint to say hi to me when i run....But then I make an appoint to say hi to people too lol

ETA: posted but added more :)
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, love the comments!!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

walkers/runners with dogs never clean up the poop, NEVER!

Not true... if you ran by me, you'd often see me running with a bag of poo. It's gross but I do it because it's even grosser to step in it. I buy scented bags and I double bag as needed. It helps a bit, but it's still not fun. I will admit that if I'm running trails with the dogs off leash and they go in the brush off trail, I don't dive in after it though.

Other things I've seen / noticed:

Also amazed by the numbers of condoms / condom wrappers in residential areas.

Have never seen roadkill that got lane-striped, but now I will be looking.

One time there was a huge mess of glitter in the bike lane on my normal path. Seriously, someone had dropped 2 or 3 jars of glitter and it'd gotten run over. I caught glimpses of it for months.

There is silverware smashed into the pavement at one of the intersections nearby... two forks and a spoon.

Once saw a wig lying in the gutter. How do you lose your wig and not go back for it?

Lots of baseball caps. Similar to the wig. Don't you notice when you lose that?

On the trails near my house... lots of dog collars. Most have tags with addresses. The collars are usually torn, so I take the tags and mail them back.

Full set of house and car keys on a trail. No other cars in the lot. That's gotta suck.

Saw a cool black and white fuzzy caterpillar the other day.

I disagree re: the geese. In Denver, they are aggressive toward runners. Now I live in COS and we don't have as many here.

Wild Turkeys really don't like runners in my experience.

The deer in my neighborhood are so tame that they are the ones who get annoyed when you have to move over and run around them on the sidewalk. I swear, one actually sighed at me the other day.

And, unfortunately, Lilac bushes make me sneeze. So does Pinon Pine. And a lot of other things I have yet to identify.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Thought of a few more:

Honeysuckle smells awesome. Most people's perfume and cologne do not.

I have no problem crossing the road if there is shade to run in.

Not a fan of saliva and snot, but during a run, I regularly spit and wipe my nose on my shirt or arm.

Arranging the order of the songs on my IPod is a precise science dependent on my run route.

It's surprising how many people are doing their laundry before 7 a.m.

Acquaintances who know you run ask you if you are running the 'such and such' race this weekend every time you see them.
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    Obviously, I love my dog enough to take him running even though he's a royal pain in the *kitten* half the time. I'm not going to run him to death.

lol so true.

Also, I notice this more when walking, but why are there always so many of those handheld dental floss picks on the ground? I live in a city and they're everywhere, especially around bus stops. I am grossed out at the idea of people flossing (and also clipping their nails...) in public settings.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Too funny :). I was told to be careful running by a pond because some dude in a huge truck just ran over a rattle snake but didn't kill it. I thanked him for the tip. I don't think he got my sarcasm. I live in rural South Carolina.
  • ngolston
    Options
    Running in the Central Savannah River Area (Augusta, GA)...

Most people working in their yards will wave as you run by
    Humidity is my enemy and running May-September is almost punishment. You have to really want it to get out in the heat/humidity, even early-early in the a.m.
    I have saved a turtle (put it back in the grass and pointed it toward the creek), a daschound (back in the yard and locked the gate) and lots of earthworms (I hate to see them flopping around in the street, lol)
    Some people shouldn't have a license
    Kids stare
    Dogs bark and scare the poop out of me when they run up behind me and and do it
    If I run on a dirt path I will get a free facial exfoliation when I wipe off
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    today was interesting I saw 2 homeless guys sleeping under the bridge that the trail I was on runs under.
    I also saw some ducks, geese (which means watch out for huge goose droppings on the trail!!), and a river, too.
  • ngolston
    Options
    Yesterday morning while running on traiI beside the canal:
    I saw my first snake beside the trail, it was brown/black with yellow bands, freaked me eat. And then my boys pointed out another one swimming in the canal :)
    Also found a salamander in the middle of the trail, he wasn't moving so well, so I helped him closer to the river. Now he either made it or became turtle food.
    Heard two owls.
    Got ran down by a petite musclar bundle of energy and then enjoyed the discovery that she caught my husband too :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Race-running on sidewalks instead of pavement just SUCKS the life out of your legs. And I often run on sidewalk, but I don't run that HARD on sidewalks.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Observations:

1) People BBQ too much in China (terrible amount of smoke)
    2) It feels better to run on the street
    3) Beijing is not as flat as all the guide books says it is.