Study Shows People with Tatoos Drink More

Options
15678911»

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....let's stand outside bars and measure if people are drinking!?!?
    Read the OP again, the study did not measure whether people were drinking or not.

I know.....the comment was pure sarcasm. The study results are incomplete. I would want to know more demographics about the population studied. People in their 20s with/without tattoos compared to drinking patters of people in their 30s/40s with/without tattoos. Age I think plays more of a factor than tattoos.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    is there a correlation between number of tats and number of drinks consumed?

cause i waaaaaaaaaaaaay out drink my tattoo quanity :)
    I like my whiskey
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hilarious.. I have two tattoo's, and I almost never touch alcohol, and then it's only a couple of sips!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hysterical! I did all that before my tattoo.............lol!
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Hhahahaha this is really funnny, I'm 17, dont have a tattoo, and I can drink more than anyone here

Being 17 and able to outdrink adults isn't necessarily cool. That's my opinion.
  • ghiaguy
    ghiaguy Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm thirsty. I think I need a tattoo.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have many and I don't drink
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Who wants to go get hammered with me,

then stumble to a shady tattoo parlor

and imortalize our friendship with tramp stamps off the flash art on the walls of the shop?

Only if they have your ticker on the wall.

i really want tattoo of this ticker now
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....let's stand outside bars and measure if people are drinking!?!?
    Read the OP again, the study did not measure whether people were drinking or not.

I know.....the comment was pure sarcasm. The study results are incomplete. I would want to know more demographics about the population studied. People in their 20s with/without tattoos compared to drinking patters of people in their 30s/40s with/without tattoos. Age I think plays more of a factor than tattoos.

I'd like to know all that, but I'd also like to know the sample sizes, and how they selected the control group. For example, if I wanted to do a study on how many Americans think Obama should be our next president, and I stand on the street corner in the nearest city to me and ask 5 people if they mind telling me this, and I find that all five do think Obama should be the next president, can I assume that 100% of Americans think Obama should be the next POTUS? I could even say, "I did a study of Americans that showed 100% of people want Obama to be the next POTUS. But I live in a blue county in a purple state with libertarian leanings--we have no helmet laws and allow gay marriage. My sampling procedure is flawed and my sample size is too small to allow me to determine a ANYTHING within the margin of error--around 50%--amongst other problems. If you are trying to determine the behavior of a group as large as the US population and you sample 100 people, the margin of error is about +/- 10%! If the sample size was 50 people, it climbs to +/-14%! Fifty is a lot of people to breathalyze coming out of a bar!

This is why we need to teach statistics to high school students, and why we need to see the actual study information.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Hhahahaha this is really funnny, I'm 17, dont have a tattoo, and I can drink more than anyone here
    And reported.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The only thing less scientific than this study is the number of people in this thread who are trying to refute it with anecdotal evidence.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a study done on people who volunteer to be part of studies.
    Subscribe to a scientific journal, there are many of them.
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting. Im a tattoo artist, am covered in tattoos, and i effing hate alcohol. Period. I dont drink.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That's too funny... Clearly one random session of questioning is enough to determine the reckless behaviors of us tattooed rebels! :noway:
  • FitLink
    Options
    I would like to see a study done on people who volunteer to be part of studies.
    Subscribe to a scientific journal, there are many of them.

Though unless your work requires a particular journal, it's probably more cost effective to look up the studies you're interested in yourself and pay for the pdf's of the ones you can't get for free.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That's too funny... Clearly one random session of questioning is enough to determine the reckless behaviors of us tattooed rebels! :noway:

K i retract previous comment due to ignorance...not paying attention to the mutiple bars part...but regardless ridiculous study.
  • FitLink
    Options
    The only thing less scientific than this study is the number of people in this thread who are trying to refute it with anecdotal evidence.

Since the vast majority of the anecdotal evidence is contrary to the "study" results, I suspect that they take issue with the recommendation of the "study's" author that doctors and other medical personel should use this information to "profile" tattooed patients and discuss responsible alcohol use with them. It's pretty obvious the "study" really isn't a "study," it's an informal survey, and no information is given as to any of the numbers that would be needed to make a decision as to what, if any, validity the conclusions of the author have. Doctors are profiling quite often these days, and with sometimes bizarre results. My primary care sent me to an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate a severe elbow injury. In addition to this injury, I have suffered from both central pain syndrome and fibromyalgia for 17 years. When the orthopedic surgeon saw these diagnoses, she suggested a counselor for childhood sexual abuse survivors. When I explained I was not sexually abused, she suggested I have therapy to recover lost memories, because she had read a "study" recommending fibromyalgia patients be evaluated for childhood sexual abuse as this, according to the "study," was strongly correlated with fibromyalgia. I left immediately and found another orthopedic surgeon who repaired the two ligaments and one tendon that were fully ruptured in my elbow and didn't pressure me to try to "recover" memories of abuse that didn't occur.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's nearly the weekend! Who here is ready to go gorge their tattoos on alcohol and dangerous behavior?? I know mine are itching for a little rebel rousing.

That or I just need more lotion on them. Meh, what ever. :bigsmile:
  • Genozid
    Genozid Posts: 30
    Options
    That's because we're better at this whole LIFE thing....

But seriously, I'll drink to that.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    That's because we're better at this whole LIFE thing....

But seriously, I'll drink to that.

:drinker: