Study Shows People with Tatoos Drink More

Options

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Do people really REALLY think this study is saying that tattoos make people drink more?

It has merely found an interesting phenomenon in that OF A SUBSET OF PEOPLE WHO DO DRINK, those who have also chosen to have tattoos are also more likely to be those who have chosen to leave a the bar with a higher alcohol level.

The lack of clarity of thought expressed here is seriously disturbing... People saying "That's wrong, we don't drink"

Well if you don't drink, this study isn't about you, it's about people who DO drink.

And frankly it's not a surprise to me that the sort of people who drink and who have tattoos are also the people who drink a bit more. It certainly backs up my experience of people I meet in pubs.

that is completely untrue. The article is using a flawed sampling technique in order to make generalizations about tattooed people. It is irresponsible journalism and I want everyone to follow my lead and write a firmly stated letter to them showing them the flaws of this study!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The article is using a flawed sampling technique in order to make generalizations about tattooed people.
    It is studying the amount of alcohol that people with tattoos have been drinking in a bar, compared to the amount of alcohol that other people have been drinking in the same bar.

Bearing in mind that neither of us have seen the protocols, what is the flaw in the methodology that you have identified, other than not liking the results of the study?
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am married to a tattoo artist and have 9 tattoos (most of them quite large). I've had one glass of wine this past year. I'm the library -working, cardigan wearing, coffee-guzzling, knitting-crazy variety of tattooed peeps
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have a couple and Man, am I a rebel! (insert eyeroll here!) LOL
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thats bogus, i have 7 tattoos and i dont drink at all
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think their sample is a little biased..

Lets hit up a place where people go to drink to see how many of them drank..

how stupid is that..

Why not survey people in a park on a weekend day and see how many said they were drinkers or non drinkers.

You don't have to Breathalyze people yo get a yes or no answer.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Study shows that people who follow studies are studying.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Of course, I realized I misspelled "Tattoos" a half a second after it was too late :drinker:
    The researchers asked nearly 3,000 young men and women as they were exiting bars on a Saturday night if they would take a breathalyzer test. Of those who agreed to take it, the researchers found that people with tattoos had consumed more alcohol than those without tattoos, the researchers said.

Previous studies have shown that tattooed individuals are more likely to engage in risky behaviors, such as unprotected sex, theft, violence and alcohol consumption, compared to people without tattoos

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11231236-tattooed-people-drink-more-says-new-study

They did this outside a bar, so 100% of "tattooed people" had been drinking. Yellow journalism at it's best. Next, insurance companies will want to raise the rates of its tattooed customers to cover their perceived risk increase.
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options
    Well, maybe they are getting inked because they are drunk...
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo and none of its true, at least not for me. That is a load of bull and I'll drink to that! :drinker:
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    <~~~Doesn't drink and has Tattoos......Don't do risky behavior either. I'd like to see the actual study. The people in the study "may" have been drinkers and execise "risky" behavior prior to getting tattoos. Just Say'n..
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have no tattoos at all, and I drink like a ****ing fish. What garbage.

That's funny!:laugh:
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow...then I should really go get more ink then!!!!
    :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    The article is using a flawed sampling technique in order to make generalizations about tattooed people.
    It is studying the amount of alcohol that people with tattoos have been drinking in a bar, compared to the amount of alcohol that other people have been drinking in the same bar.

Bearing in mind that neither of us have seen the protocols, what is the flaw in the methodology that you have identified, other than not liking the results of the study?

Working behind a bar where both heavily/lightly tattooed and none tattooed people drink, using that tiny sample I conclude everyone gets drunk, no more so or more less than anyone else! Drunkest guy I've had on, who we had to bar, wasn't tattooed (and he showed us most of him!)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Of course, I realized I misspelled "Tattoos" a half a second after it was too late :drinker:
    The researchers asked nearly 3,000 young men and women as they were exiting bars on a Saturday night if they would take a breathalyzer test. Of those who agreed to take it, the researchers found that people with tattoos had consumed more alcohol than those without tattoos, the researchers said.

Previous studies have shown that tattooed individuals are more likely to engage in risky behaviors, such as unprotected sex, theft, violence and alcohol consumption, compared to people without tattoos

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11231236-tattooed-people-drink-more-says-new-study

Choosing people as they come out of a bar is not sampling for a study. People exiting a bar are predisposed to have been drinking, donchathink? What if you instead selected by asking people exiting a bank, or WalMart, or a church, to take a breathalyzer? Do the results differ, and how? How was the control group selected? In what journal was it published for peer review? The "previous studies," where were they published for peer review? How can I know they actually were actual studies and not surveys of people leaving a bar unless I can see what the sampling procedures were and where it was peer reviewed? "Studies" like this are less than meaningless, because there is no control and ne peer review.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

It is flawed because they did not chose a wide of sample size. They simply chose one bar. Bars attract the same kind of clientele, so they probably should have used a wide spread of bars, wine bars, country clubs, bar AND bat mitzvahs as well as a healthy sampling of the local VFW.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    woo i have 4, paaaaaaaaaaaartay! :drinker: haha!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    *hiccups
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    *hiccups

Funny!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    looks like I definitely need that tattoo I've been talking about.