What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    dont know if this counts, but a while back when i started trying to lose weight i read something about: "you should stop eating 4 hours before going to bed"

forgot about WHY. i was reading it but it wasnt really going in....lol.
  • FitnessDivaK
    Options
    I just heard one yesterday, a co-worker is on a diet where you eat as much as you can the first day...As bad as you can....Pizza, chocolate, chips, pop..you name it. Then the second day, you eat this powder 6 times daily, and only eat 500 calories a day for the next few weeks!!! And then you will lose 20 pounds in just 4 short weeks.......Omg....I feel sorry for people who have no clue. I directed her to come to this site and hopefully she will learn it's all about healty eating and excercise.

A girl I know tried this, or something like it. Within two days, she said she could barely get out of bed, because she was so dizzy and fatigued from not eating. and then she found out the powder she was taking was some kind of growth hormone and she wanted nothing to do with it after that. I was super glad that I found out she stopped right away, I'm sure the consequences of that would have been very bad.

This sounds like the HCG Diet. You literally "load" for the first couple of days, then eat a very strict 500 calorie diet for like 3 weeks or something. And everyday, you put HCG drops (a pregnancy hormone) under your tongue a few times a day. The drops are supposed to curb your appetite, and of course you can't work out while on the diet. One of my co-workers said her sister did it and she lost like 25 lbs. The most baffling part of this "get-fit-quick" scheme is that it claims to forever alter your body...and that you'll miraculously never get fat again. WTF!? SOme people will fall for anything...
  • Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i heard of this really crazy diet called get your fat *kitten* up and do some exercise.
    madness, right?

LMAO (literallY) ,,, and ya,,, uber madness right there LOL
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Anything promoted by Dr. Oz.

hahaha! I agree!!! I seriously hate that man.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Atkins means eating all the meat you want, prepared however you want. I knew a guy who because of his interpretation, would eat fried chicken wings nearly daily. The grease was clogging my arteries just being near it!

My mom tried that and ate bacon every single day for almost every single meal and finally realized that she was gaining weight.

The Atkins diet is actually very healthy if you do it right. The problem is no one does it right because everyone thinks you just eat bacon, steak, cheese and butter. If people actually did research on *kitten* on things before they just do what people tell them to do, that diet wouldn't be bashed so effing much.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Here in my hometown, there was a mother and son who would go the Piccadilly Cafeteria and completely load their trays with the worst possible foods-- fried chicken, mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, desserts, everything. Then they would take lemons and squeeze the juice all over everything, claiming they were "cutting the calories"!

That is one of the craziest myths I've heard! How about all of you?

the "artificial sweeteners are poison" nonsense.
  • rileyk54
    rileyk54 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just heard one yesterday, a co-worker is on a diet where you eat as much as you can the first day...As bad as you can....Pizza, chocolate, chips, pop..you name it. Then the second day, you eat this powder 6 times daily, and only eat 500 calories a day for the next few weeks!!! And then you will lose 20 pounds in just 4 short weeks.......Omg....I feel sorry for people who have no clue. I directed her to come to this site and hopefully she will learn it's all about healty eating and excercise.

A girl I know tried this, or something like it. Within two days, she said she could barely get out of bed, because she was so dizzy and fatigued from not eating. and then she found out the powder she was taking was some kind of growth hormone and she wanted nothing to do with it after that. I was super glad that I found out she stopped right away, I'm sure the consequences of that would have been very bad.

This sounds like the HCG Diet. You literally "load" for the first couple of days, then eat a very strict 500 calorie diet for like 3 weeks or something. And everyday, you put HCG drops (a pregnancy hormone) under your tongue a few times a day. The drops are supposed to curb your appetite, and of course you can't work out while on the diet. One of my co-workers said her sister did it and she lost like 25 lbs. The most baffling part of this "get-fit-quick" scheme is that it claims to forever alter your body...and that you'll miraculously never get fat again. WTF!? SOme people will fall for anything...

Yep that was it! Once she found out it was a pregnancy hormone, she wanted nothing to do with it! the part that kinda baffled me was that she said that it was a diet recommended by Dr. Oz. and I feel like thats not something such a renowned doctor would recommend.
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    lol, wouldn't that be like buttermilk? blech