What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That eating too few calories will make you gain weight.

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight. The body will slow it's metabolism to an absolute stand still to "keep it going".

Get informed, and think about it!
    [/quote]

I didn't say eating too few calories was healthy or that it wouldn't eventually slow weight loss. I said it's a myth that it will make you gain weight, which is completely true. Think about that.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about crazy, but disgusting would be vinegar shots in the a.m. for metabolism boost

Yuck! What is that supposed to do? Wake you up by making you puke!?!?

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-anti-diabetes-drink

HA! You just linked to dr oz . . . that's like a two-fer
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    That woman told me a number of crazy diet stuff she'd read on the internet over the years. I remember the last time I saw her, I was 20 then, she patted my stomach and told me to take up smoking basically to smoke a cigarette every time I felt hungry and if that didn't work, do pot.

wouldn't smoking pot actually be counter productive to decreasing your appetite?

Nope. Pot smokers tend to be leaner than non-pot smoking counterparts. This was in a study, I think, from Sweden that came out a few months back.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    The HCG diet actually works. My step mother has lost about 100 lbs being on that.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    An ex-coworker once told me (while eating a large McDonalds fries) that there is nothing wrong with fries, they are potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable, and vegetables are good for you.

We tried to explain the whole concept of "deep fried" but it was beyond her comprehension... :noway:

So there you have it.... fries are a vegetable!.
    Now who's coming to McD's with me? :laugh:

Not to mention that potatoes are a STARCH, not a VEGETABLE (I work with potatoes for a living right now....this common misconception gets very annoying!) lol

:noway: I guess it depends on how you are defining "vegetable." Nutritionally, they may be more properly described as a starch (or as some are calling it, a "super-carb")... but technically, they are still vegetables.

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vegetable
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    the one where people order tapeworms and ingest them so that you will lose weight...

I hear that actually used to be popular, which is just disgusting!

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Wasn't that like back in the 20s?

Apparently there are still advocates! Wow! :s

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/diets/tapeworm-diet/
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    My gym teacher in high school said as we stretched "If you stretch everyday you'll lose weight it just melts away fat I don't know why no one does it!"

As opposed to just doing nothing I could see that working...though probably not very fast.

We were sitting on the floor reaching for our toes lol. She pointed to her inner thighs and said specifically melts it away here.
    Well in that case, I guess not, haha.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight. The body will slow it's metabolism to an absolute stand still to "keep it going".

:grumble:

Great reply and so very true!

I would argue *mostly* true, but that flame war has seen enough casualties... :flowerforyou:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet actually works. My step mother has lost about 100 lbs being on that.

Heritic!!!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My gym teacher in high school said as we stretched "If you stretch everyday you'll lose weight it just melts away fat I don't know why no one does it!"

As opposed to just doing nothing I could see that working...though probably not very fast.

We were sitting on the floor reaching for our toes lol. She pointed to her inner thighs and said specifically melts it away here.
    Well in that case, I guess not, haha.

lol if only that really worked =[
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I didn't say eating too few calories was healthy or that it wouldn't eventually slow weight loss. I said it's a myth that it will make you gain weight, which is completely true. Think about that.

I read through the whole thread to see if someone was going to mention this. Glad it was the person who originally mentioned it!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    "well you see, I don't eat anything. And when I feel like I'm about to faint, I eat a block of cheese."

(gold star if you can name that movie) :)
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    The devil wears prada!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    My grandmother wrote the book on fun with eating disorders. My favorite though, is the SOB-- Scooped Out Bagel. You just eat the bagel skin for fewer calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "well you see, I don't eat anything. And when I feel like I'm about to faint, I eat a block of cheese."

I think it's "...I eat a cube of cheese"
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i love the idea of what beyonce was alleged to have done for dream girls,

the cayenne pepper drink thing...

its sounds sooooooooo disgusting!!!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options

Mean girls? I know that line and can't remember!
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    My grandmother believed that eating a teaspoon of Dawn or Palmolive dish soap every day would dissolve fat in her body. She swore she read about it in Reader's Digest. She ate a lot of soap...

Did grandma fart bubbles? That would've been a hit at family get togethers...

THIS!!!!!!
    Great minds think alike cuz all I was thinking about was a family reunion get together with bbq beans and grandma!!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of the 'happy hour' diet?

A couple I know went on this diet, and this is how it worked..you eat nothing except some protein in the morning then from 6pm until 7pm you eat and eat and eat for a whole hour, on the table in front of them they would start with fried fish in batter, fries and a jumbo sausage, six slices of white bread with lashings of butter, 2 slices of cheese melted on toast then cream cakes, at least 3 chocolate bars each all washed down with several cans of beer, someone told them that it takes the stomach 20 minutes to tell the brain its full so these friends of mine would cram as much food in their mouths before the twenty minutes were up! needless to say the 'happy hour' diet didn't work.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    " eating fat makes you fat" "eat everything in moderation" "if you don't eat every 2 hours you go into starvation mode" "just burn off what you eat" "eat less move more" "saturated fat will clog your arteries"