What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options

Replies

• budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    licking a dogs butt berfore you eat will decrease your appetite.
    gross but true
  • miss_september
    Options
    An ex-coworker once told me (while eating a large McDonalds fries) that there is nothing wrong with fries, they are potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable, and vegetables are good for you.

We tried to explain the whole concept of "deep fried" but it was beyond her comprehension... :noway:

So there you have it.... fries are a vegetable!.
    Now who's coming to McD's with me? :laugh:

Not to mention that potatoes are a STARCH, not a VEGETABLE (I work with potatoes for a living right now....this common misconception gets very annoying!) lol
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    fasting
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    never expose it to bright light (especially sunlight, which will kill it); never get it wet (which will make it multiply); and, most importantly: never, ever feed it after midnight.

^^love this!! lol :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what it was called, but it was some diet where you could only eat carbs like, during a certain 2 hour time period. Or many it was a 45 minute time period? And after that window of time, no more carbs. So you'd eat like a rabbit for most of the day, and then load up of donuts and corn muffins and bagels from the hours of 7 am to 9 am. It made no sense at all- I never understood how that was supposed to work.

Oh, that reminds of a diet my sister was on years (and years) ago where you could eat breads and you could eat meat but you were never supposed to eat them together or within a certain amount of time of eating the other.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The grapefruit diet. That was rediculous.

I actually ate grape fruit everyday as part of my snack and in 1 year I had lost 30 pounds..........but I'm not sure if the grapefruit was what helped? LOL!

I have actually heard grapefruit acts as a hungry suppressant or something. But I agree, it sounds ridiculous! (and I don't like grapefruits anyway :laugh:)
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    That woman told me a number of crazy diet stuff she'd read on the internet over the years. I remember the last time I saw her, I was 20 then, she patted my stomach and told me to take up smoking basically to smoke a cigarette every time I felt hungry and if that didn't work, do pot.

I always joke with my parents. who smoke, about taking it up to help lose weight. The first time I did it, the looks on their faces were priceless! Also...I don't think pot would really help with weight loss...lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    licking a dogs butt berfore you eat will decrease your appetite.

Ugh! I'm not sure that one is a myth. :sick:
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The Twinkie Diet was pretty rediculous
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My gym teacher in high school said as we stretched "If you stretch everyday you'll lose weight it just melts away fat I don't know why no one does it!"
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That eating too few calories will make you gain weight.

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight. The body will slow it's metabolism to an absolute stand still to "keep it going".

Get informed, and think about it!

:grumble:

Great reply and so very true!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I saw someone put on MFP to add 2 tbs of bleach to you yogurt and other foods and you will lose.....:huh: Bleach you mean the stuff that eats through your clothes if poured directly on them?!?!?! I ll stick to using it for cleaning my floors and have sparkly white laundry!!!
  • theladyy
    Options
    the one where people order tapeworms and ingest them so that you will lose weight...

I hear that actually used to be popular, which is just disgusting!

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Wasn't that like back in the 20s?
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet. I knew a group of women at work who did it. You cook up a big pot of this soup and eat it whenever you're hungry. They lasted about three days until the belly pain took them down.
  • kizzaii
    kizzaii Posts: 52
    Options
    I read in a magazine today that calorie intake is irrelevant if you eat your 5 a day. I can't believe they print this rubbish!
  • theladyy
    Options
    My gym teacher in high school said as we stretched "If you stretch everyday you'll lose weight it just melts away fat I don't know why no one does it!"

As opposed to just doing nothing I could see that working...though probably not very fast.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That woman told me a number of crazy diet stuff she'd read on the internet over the years. I remember the last time I saw her, I was 20 then, she patted my stomach and told me to take up smoking basically to smoke a cigarette every time I felt hungry and if that didn't work, do pot.

wouldn't smoking pot actually be counter productive to decreasing your appetite?
  • theladyy
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet. I knew a group of women at work who did it. You cook up a big pot of this soup and eat it whenever you're hungry. They lasted about three days until the belly pain took them down.

My grandma did this a couple years ago...I don't think she made it very long on it, like a day and a half.
  • DistilledVixen
    DistilledVixen Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just heard one yesterday, a co-worker is on a diet where you eat as much as you can the first day...As bad as you can....Pizza, chocolate, chips, pop..you name it. Then the second day, you eat this powder 6 times daily, and only eat 500 calories a day for the next few weeks!!! And then you will lose 20 pounds in just 4 short weeks.......Omg....I feel sorry for people who have no clue. I directed her to come to this site and hopefully she will learn it's all about healty eating and excercise.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

As opposed to just doing nothing I could see that working...though probably not very fast.

We were sitting on the floor reaching for our toes lol. She pointed to her inner thighs and said specifically melts it away here.