What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The negative calorie list.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    The apple diet. You basically eat two apples a day and nothing else. Apparently Beyonce used it? Ridiculous.

Apparently Beyonce did the maple syrup diet as well. I think I will refrain from taking dieting advice from Beyonce.

I met a lady who did the maple syrup diet for 15 days, lost 31 pounds and ended up in the ICU due to her organs beginning to shut down.
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if you drank vinegar daily that it helped your body burn fat faster. Soooooo....she was drinking like 1/2 a bottle a day and ended up in the ER with kidney issues. Turns out you were only supposed to add a tablespoon a day to your drink. Needless to say, she lost weight but not the way she wanted to.

There is an actual product called "Jogging in a Jug" that claims to burn the calories just like you are exercising-- that is basically apple juice and vinegar. Let's just say I'm dubious. LOL

15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • caritiger
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if you drank vinegar daily that it helped your body burn fat faster. Soooooo....she was drinking like 1/2 a bottle a day and ended up in the ER with kidney issues. Turns out you were only supposed to add a tablespoon a day to your drink. Needless to say, she lost weight but not the way she wanted to.

I hope your friend recovered from her kidney issues-- was she okay?
  • apeluso1985
    Options
    One of my friends will crash diet and not eat anything all day and then eat crap at night, she will do that for week at a time and not understand why she can't lose weight.

Oh, and bread is only fattening if you eat the middle, if you only eat the crust is not as bad.
  • caritiger
    Options
    drinking ice cold water after eating milk chocolate makes your body metabolise it too fast to store it.

LOL Wouldn't it be nice if that were true!

15405351.png
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about crazy, but disgusting would be vinegar shots in the a.m. for metabolism boost

Yuck! What is that supposed to do? Wake you up by making you puke!?!?
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    One of my friends will crash diet and not eat anything all day and then eat crap at night, she will do that for week at a time and not understand why she can't lose weight.

Oh, and bread is only fattening if you eat the middle, if you only eat the crust is not as bad.
    That is the best news I have read all week. Going to go make me some crustless grilled cheese :)
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The apple diet. You basically eat two apples a day and nothing else. Apparently Beyonce used it? Ridiculous.

Apparently Beyonce did the maple syrup diet as well. I think I will refrain from taking dieting advice from Beyonce.

I met a lady who did the maple syrup diet for 15 days, lost 31 pounds and ended up in the ICU due to her organs beginning to shut down.

Beyonce has never said she's done any of these diets. The papers / rags say she is and she denies it!
  • caritiger
    Options
    Rubbing cayenne pepper and olive oil into your skin, wrapping it tightly with saran wrap and sleeping with it on over night. It *burns* the cellulite away!

That sounds--- irritating! Wow!

15405351.png
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    The peanut diet. A lady I worked with a while back said she could eat basically anything as long as she was chowing down some peanuts all day. She didn't stop eating peanuts ever and would answer her phone while chewing a mouthful of peanuts or go to meetings with her jar of peanuts and keep munching through the meeting.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Rubbing cayenne pepper and olive oil into your skin, wrapping it tightly with saran wrap and sleeping with it on over night. It *burns* the cellulite away!

I bet it does burn...your skin!
  • caritiger
    Options

Wow, that is awful!

15405351.png
  • caritiger
    Options
    The peanut diet. A lady I worked with a while back said she could eat basically anything as long as she was chowing down some peanuts all day. She didn't stop eating peanuts ever and would answer her phone while chewing a mouthful of peanuts or go to meetings with her jar of peanuts and keep munching through the meeting.

I can't even see how that might be thought to work-- fiber, maybe? How crazy!

15405351.png
  • caritiger
    Options
    The wedding diet where you get a tube shoved in your nose down into your tummy to be tube fed. REALLY!!!! People amaze me

I read about that! Worst. diet. ever.

I read that yesterday-- that is beyond disturbing! It was created as a medical procedure for the morbidly obese, not as a quick fix for people who are otherwise fit!

15405351.png
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    never expose it to bright light (especially sunlight, which will kill it); never get it wet (which will make it multiply); and, most importantly: never, ever feed it after midnight.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I couldn't even read beyond this post!!!
  • gg9nerak
    gg9nerak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Umm...that sounds dangerous
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The morning after I slept over at a friend's house for the first time, her mother came in and handed me green tea capsules and started telling me that I needed to take one with every meal and I wasn't to eat after 5pm (which was dumb considering my mother didn't get off work until 5) and to never take baths because I would absorb all the water and increase my waterweight.

That woman told me a number of crazy diet stuff she'd read on the internet over the years. I remember the last time I saw her, I was 20 then, she patted my stomach and told me to take up smoking basically to smoke a cigarette every time I felt hungry and if that didn't work, do pot.

Also read an article in a magazine last month talking about eating some weird amount of fruit or combination of food and in 2 weeks you'd lose 15lbs. It sounded reasonable, but I knew right off that the pounds they were talking about was just going to be the average water weight loss when you begin a diet. Course all the diets from that magazine say that and then they have some size 2 with a before photo swearing by it whether it involves eating buckets of blueberries or whatever.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what it was called, but it was some diet where you could only eat carbs like, during a certain 2 hour time period. Or many it was a 45 minute time period? And after that window of time, no more carbs. So you'd eat like a rabbit for most of the day, and then load up of donuts and corn muffins and bagels from the hours of 7 am to 9 am. It made no sense at all- I never understood how that was supposed to work.
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    My grandmother believed that eating a teaspoon of Dawn or Palmolive dish soap every day would dissolve fat in her body. She swore she read about it in Reader's Digest. She ate a lot of soap...

I bet her insides were squeaky clean though!