Need girls and guy answers

Options

Replies

• meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I couldn't stand the smell of alcohol, tobacco, anything sweet or raw/undercooked meat. This might be a consideration as well. The 'biological contributor' didn't quit drinking, smoking or cooking meat in the house, so I barfed a lot and was constantly miserable.

Oh dear I just had flash backs to my pregnancy reading this post!! LOL - My ex was not a nice "biological contributor" even made me attempt to hold it for 2 hours on a road trip when I was about 34 weeks preggers. Let's just say he was lucky to have leather seats and I am lucky to now live 1600 miles away.

Failure to follow through on a commitment does not a good father make. I'd say talk it over again, if it's a deal breaker for you then you know the choice you have to make. But a delay on getting pregnant at this point is not at all a bad idea.....good luck!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    He shouldn't have said he would stop if he didn't really mean it...sounds like a lack of communication there. NOW, why would you want him to stop drinking as well? is drinking a problem here? I guess it depends on the level of drinking we are talking about. If he has a beer with dinner or with a friend that shouldn't be a big deal BUT...if he is going out to drink on a bender with buddies for the weekend and leaving you all alone...that would be an issue. I understand the not drinking together because of the baby and if that was the agreement and he is not keeping it...that goes a long way to speaking about maturity and if he is ready for the committment to being a dad. So many questions and also not knowing all the circumstances make it hard to give you a clear or concise answer...I'm not judging him or you...just bringing up points.

^^^^ you pretty much summed up what I was thinking!

1- he should not make empty promises
    2- is there an under lying alcohol problem? what's the big deal if he has one or two?

Bottom line - you guys need to talk more before you have baby!
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I didn't and wouldn't stop. That's silly. I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited to have a designated driver, that my drinking might have increased during that time. LOL.

I got to drive my hubby's step-grandma home after Thanksgiving dinner last year b/c I was the only one not drinking since I was pregnant. lol
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I didn't stop and don't think any guy should have to stop drinking.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    FWIW - I don't think changing his mind about stopping drinking is a "failure to commit". He married her, didn't he? Now, he is supporting the idea of having a baby. He is obviously committed to her and their relationship.

I think this is getting blown way out of proportion from the little bit of information shared in the OP.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    He should support you and at least limit his drinking to when he isn't around you (and that doesn't mean going out for drinks leaving you behind either). Yes you are having the baby but it makes it REALLY hard to not drink when your significant other is drinking.

But honestly, it doesn't sound like you have a choice, he wimped out of his promise, and I doubt any amount of nagging/pleading is going to change his mind.

You're going to have to be strong on your own, that or reconsider having children with this guy.
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who said he'd quit smoking when his wife got pregnant... i'm pretty angry at him for not upholding his end of the bargain, and I have no investment in the relationship. If it's important to you... he should do it. If he never planned on doing it, he shouldn't have offered it in the first place.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    My last daughter was conceived while consuming a fifth of JD and watching a Christy Canyon video.

:laugh: :laugh: :smokin:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I didn't and wouldn't stop. That's silly. I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited to have a designated driver, that my drinking might have increased during that time. LOL.

I got to drive my hubby's step-grandma home after Thanksgiving dinner last year b/c I was the only one not drinking since I was pregnant. lol

I was the DD home from my half-brother's wedding when I was prego, my dad took major advantage of the open bar provided by my half-bro's step-dad haha
  • MaritaD
    MaritaD Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My husband never gave up beer and I didn't expect him to. The only reason to give it up is for the health of the baby (unless we are talking about a lot of alcohol consumption). His drinking had nothing to do with the health of the baby so I didn't mind. There are other ways to show support and commitment that are much more important in my opinion. We both drank while we were trying to get pregnant and not only did we get pregnant quickly, both babies were just fine.

I agree, I wouldn't care in the least if my spouse wanted to drink if I was the one carrying the child. I understand you feel a little put off since he said it and is now renegging. But all the same you are the one with the baby in your body, so you need to decide if you want to sacrifice drinking for that baby. There will be so many sacrifices to be made once the baby is born. And it does fall on the mother more than the father. I'm not saying the father shouldn't pull their half of the deal, but it doesn't make sense for him to give up his beer for 9 months when he doesn't really need to. Let him indulge, I'm sure he will pull his weight more in other areas :)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone I would want to have kids with too. Good luck with that
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink but when my wife was pregnant I made it a point to order her favorite drink and enjoy it in front of her.

wow. i woulda thrown it in your face. :]
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    no offense i think it is ridiculous to give up alch when trying for the baby. It makes no sense, but if you want to give it up fine, however I see no reason why he shuld give it up. This is the feminization of men.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it's a little disrespectful for him to have said it that way. You may be physically carrying and giving birth to your child but you are both having the baby. If I were in your situation and my fiancé changed his mind afterward, I would be upset too. He shouldn't have told you he was willing to stop drinking if he wasn't. And I think out of respect he should at least try to stop. Hopefully he won't be continuing to drink much after the child is born, so maybe he can practice in the months leading up to it. A night out once in a whole is definitely fine but I think it all depends on how much he plans on drinking.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    As a guy, if i was planning to have a child with someone and their commitment wouldnt even go as far as giving up booze with me, i would be seriously rethinking my choices.

When baby comes, theres going to a lot more sacrifices required than something as trivial as giving up booze.

pretty much this, starting a family will change your life drasticly, if he is not will to help now then will he help with the baby, will he give up his nights out with the guys so that you can have an evening to yourself? I think you two need another talk about maturity and if either of you are really ready for the giant commitment.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    I had a friend who said he'd quit smoking when his wife got pregnant... i'm pretty angry at him for not upholding his end of the bargain, and I have no investment in the relationship. If it's important to you... he should do it. If he never planned on doing it, he shouldn't have offered it in the first place.

first off quitting smioking is hard, second off...why would u even give a flying F?
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Leave him alone! you should never get into a relaionship wanting to change the other person, and making some one change NEVER works so leave him alone or you will find yourself

missrable or divorced
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    As a guy, if i was planning to have a child with someone and their commitment wouldnt even go as far as giving up booze with me, i would be seriously rethinking my choices.

When baby comes, theres going to a lot more sacrifices required than something as trivial as giving up booze.

pretty much this, starting a family will change your life drasticly, if he is not will to help now then will he help with the baby, will he give up his nights out with the guys so that you can have an evening to yourself? I think you two need another talk about maturity and if either of you are really ready for the giant commitment.

Again no offense to either but I think both of these statements are completely asinine. BEcause a guy wouldnt give up having a beer when the wife's pregnant means he wont be committed to family and make the real sacrifices? Ludicrous.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Umm, if alcohol is this big of a deal in your life, you both have issues. Seek help. Get to AA. Seriously. Healthy people don't fight about stuff like this.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    alright so my husband and I want to try for a baby soon. Well I told him I was going to stop drinking next month and he said he would to. Now today he says why should I stop your having the baby. I feel like if he didn't want to he should have told me that when we had our four hour talk about it. I didn't push him into saying don't drink but now it hurts that he wouldnt stop.How do u guys and girls feel... What ould u guys do?

Lol. Where to begin? Um... he has a piss poor attitude from the get go.

Tell him: You get to pull out for now. Until you can get your s*** together.

^^ this!! I am the one with the piss poor attitude when it comes to having kids, and that is because I am just not ready yet. My hubby will say lets do this and that, and in the beginning I will be in then I will back out. It's because I am not ready yet, I want kids I just need to take care of a few things in me first.

I would put things off for a while till he is ready :flowerforyou: