Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

• jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    2) i also really dislike when obese ladies make a deal of how large their breasts are, when its only becaise they are large all over. That may be because Ive been flat chested through fat and thin ;p

yeah, isn't it horrible when a woman likes something about her body? it's just terrible.

/sarcasm
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

http://skinnyvscurvy.com/christina-hendricks/christina-hendricks-swimsuit.html

I think you've got into your head that the "Hollywood norm" is what "normal" is...Christina Hendricks is beautiful and yes, she's curvy.

she is in no way healthy/not fat...whatever in those bathing suit pics. she is a pretty girl but she is fat in those pics. i think it is your perception that is distorted. you honestly think those thighs are indicative of a healthy person?

Uh, yes. They're not huge. So she's not Kiera Knightly thin. Big effing deal. She still has a killer body.

they are huge. you prove my point that we are so used to seeing morbidly obese people that when we see people who are just obese they look normal. those thighs are in no way normal on a person with a healthy BF%.

Huge? Seriously dude?? You prove MY point that you think all women should have itty bitty bodies. Could she stand to lose a few pounds? Meh, probably...but she is by no means FAT.

yes huge. and where did i say women should have itty bitty bodies? i think women should have their BF% in the healthy/athletic range which she clearly does not. and for the record i do think she is curvy..just fat and curvy.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

That's a rather shallow view. IMO, Christina Hendricks is one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood now...mostly because she's not an anorexic twig...but, hey...if that's your thing, who am I to judge?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

The word you're looking for is 'morbidly'.

I put that into the original post now, but I am pretty sure it's a widely used term and not derogatory.

I just wanted to say, the term grossly obese is not derogatory. Gross can also mean:

1.flagrant and extreme

It doesnt always have to mean:

2.Obscene or vulgar.

People take offense to things like this. And THIS is why society uses the term "curvy" because it makes it ok then to be grossly obese.

Thank you.

It's like, when they say gross loan, they not talking about obsecenity. I wish people would stop jumping to conclusions. I wouldn't refer to an obese person as gross other than in my head. There's no need for it.

Just an FYI - referring to them as gross 'in your head' is still a judgemental, disgusting thing for someone to do. From this I can take it that when you said 'grossly', you did mean gross, not extremely. It's not often I see someone being so blatent about being an ugly person.

Oh sigh. I never said I WOULD refer to a obese person as gross in my head, but if I did, it would be in my head. I see obese people as people, and actually have so much empathy for them. But this is just a physically 'gross' as...

morbidly-obese.jpg

this, in my mind.

Anorexia.jpg.

It's a pretty natural response and feeling. It doesn't mean I dehumanise obese people or look at them with disgust. It doesn't mean I walk around looking at fat people and thinking 'ewww'.

From this I can take it that when you said 'grossly', you did mean gross, not extremely.

headdesk.jpg
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

I think you've got into your head that the "Hollywood norm" is what "normal" is...Christina Hendricks is beautiful and yes, she's curvy.

she is in no way healthy/not fat...whatever in those bathing suit pics. she is a pretty girl but she is fat in those pics. i think it is your perception that is distorted. you honestly think those thighs are indicative of a healthy person?

Uh, yes. They're not huge. So she's not Kiera Knightly thin. Big effing deal. She still has a killer body.

they are huge. you prove my point that we are so used to seeing morbidly obese people that when we see people who are just obese they look normal. those thighs are in no way normal on a person with a healthy BF%.

lol are you serious? Yeah, she has some extra fat on her body, but to decide that she suffers from health problems because her thighs are bigger than what you deem a healthy size is inane.

lol where did i say she suffers from health problems? i do not know her medical history.
  • spacecampsucks
    spacecampsucks Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't anyone who is not made up of nothing but angles be able to call themselves curvy. As log as you have one curve, you meet the requirement. The point is, yes, a lot of fat women call themselves curvy to make themselves feel better, just like people who who act like a-hole like to believe they are just being honest.

Le sigh.

Hahaha, I love the Le sigh at the end.

You sir just won a (sugar free) cookie.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Shouldn't anyone who is not made up of nothing but angles be able to call themselves curvy. As log as you have one curve, you meet the requirement. The point is, yes, a lot of fat women call themselves curvy to make themselves feel better, just like people who who act like a-hole like to believe they are just being honest.

Le sigh.

Le sigh.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

here some info about her
    Christina Hendricks Weight?
    70 kilograms of 154 pounds

How Tall Is Christina Hendricks?
    5′ 7½” (1.71 m)

What Are Christina Hendricks Measurements?
    36C-23-36

What is Christina Hendricks bra size?
    38-DDD

Date Of Birth
    3 May 1975, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

Birth Name
    Christina Rene Hendricks
    skinny? no, fat? no, healthy yes

actors never lie about their weight or age lol
  • Fourmenandalady28
    Options
    I know what you mean. Last night i was watching something, think it was called Fat Feeders and it was about men who love their women big. When i say big, the bigger the better. This mans wife was about 650lbs and her husband was on about society and how curves are so much better. Im sorry but a woman at 650lbs is not "curvy", she's dangerously over weight. I consider curvy as someone like Marilyn Monroe.

I couldn't have said it better myself! :)
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree. The term thick is also used all the time. Someone can way 200 lbs or 100 lbs and not be or be curvy depending on their body proportion. I also can't stand when someone says they have a Kim K. or JLO body because they have a butt and are overweight. Chances are if you have more body fat than a healthy amount for your body you will likely have a butt.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Huge? Seriously dude?? You prove MY point that you think all women should have itty bitty bodies. Could she stand to lose a few pounds? Meh, probably...but she is by no means FAT.

yes huge. and where did i say women should have itty bitty bodies? i think women should have their BF% in the healthy/athletic range which she clearly does not. and for the record i do think she is curvy..just fat and curvy.

Well, I figure baseless accusations can go either way <shrug> I stand by my theory that you've be basically brainwashed to believe that women should look a certain way, and because she doesn't fit that mold, she's "fat".
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.

I don't get irritated at all. Whatever people want to describe someone or something, it is their description their interpretation and their opinion. I should say as long as it isn't negative or mean, than why should I care? To each his own.....
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    If women can't even respect other women, how do we expect men to treat us with respect? Who cares what another woman looks like and who cares what she calls herself. As long as she's happy, you need to be happy for her. It's not your problem to worry about someone who is obese and it's certainly not your place to judge her. Curvy, fat, skinny, obese, tall, short, whatever. We're all women and we all deserve to be treated like humans and to be treated with respect. If a women has rolls or if she has no hips at all, she's allowed identify with being curvy. There are no rules and it's stupid to let that offend you. Just because a fat woman thinks she's curvy, it does not mean everyone else is going to think you're fat, too.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis.

Oh here we go. The whole 'you go sister' talk.

Look. I don't care if we're women. That means nothing except we were born with a vagina. If we can talk about men's bodies, we can talk about women's bodies without this turning into a feminist issue.

Women have enough problems in this world without having to deal with women putting each other down on a daily basis? Oh, because this thread is to 'attack' women. Oh, poor things. Yes, let's just change definitions and refer to everyone as curvy, just to protect those fragile women.

Give me a break, please. It irritates me. Simple as. I don't know why people are trying to make this into an analytical, sociological debate.

Maybe because some people have the intelligence to delve deeper than "it annoys me!1!1!" and when faced with an opportunity to discuss in greater depth, of course they naturally would.

This thread has a lot of body shaming, which is awful (just for the record before the OP replies with "Le sigh", I am not referring to you as such) but what I find most irritating is the ignorance of it... Saying things like

"I hate it when someone refers to someone really overweight as curvy... To me, they really don't have a shape... They're just rolly... So, when I consider myself curvy, I don't like being put in the same category as "rolly"."

...And blatantly not even knowing that could be offensive to some. It's kind of worrying.

And it's not just that. There are lots of little things that on the surface seen fine but to someone with BDD (or other disorders... Or hell, even just insecurities) can be very triggering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some major PC freak, I just think people need to be aware of what they say and how it could be perceived by others.

Once again, this isn't aimed at the OP, I don't believe you meant any harm in the original post, I first read it as a light hearted discussion. Unfortunately, other issues arose as the thread progressed.

Perception is a funny thing, I guess.

I totally respect your post.
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    I love reading these sorta threads. So much lulz
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    This is a great idea, make a completely pointless thread, you'd get tons of hits.

GO WATCH SEINFELD PEOPLE, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Yep, because it's totally impossible for me to make a thread about something that was on my mind. TOTALLY impossible. I mean, I MUST BE DOING IT FOR THE HITS. OH GOD, THE HITS!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wow, this pissed me off.

1) The way I read this post and some of its subsequent comments, was that since someone is big they cannot be curvy, which is FALSE!!! I'm a big girl and I be damned if I don't have curves, and even if I did lose 30 more pounds my breasts would STILL be large, thank you very much.
    2) I can't even think with the ridiculousness I've just read, that Hendricks person may have thick/large thighs but they are not HUGE, she has wide hips and her lower body supports that. I believe the word used on the site was voluptuous.
    3) Connotation is everything, the way someone is raised and sees the world judges on their use of the word "curvy," denotation is a whole separate thing; and you need to take these things into account before you start ranting and raving over petty, trifling subjects.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

That's a rather shallow view. IMO, Christina Hendricks is one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood now...mostly because she's not an anorexic twig...but, hey...if that's your thing, who am I to judge?

she is definitely pretty and when i saw her on Firefly she was definitely sexy.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Medical terms for obesity:

1. Obese class 1
    2. Obese class 2
    3. Morbidly obese
    3. Hyperobese.

I realised a long time ago that 'grossly' obese is not a medical term.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    No, but I do find it irritating (gross, even) when people use the term 'grossly obese'.

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.

First of all, do you know how few people actually weigh 600 pounds? You weren't referring to 600 pound people and you know it. Those people never say they're "curvy." And the correct term for this, as pointed out, is MORBIDLY obese. Secondly, finding any people "gross" is cause for concern. They're PEOPLE for heaven's sake, and if you can't respect a person as a person because of how you feel about their appearance you need to assess your values because they're skewed.

Thanks for your response to that. I'm still in awe that someone would say something so rude and hateful.

Just to clarify that I did not say that --->

Sorry, but if someone is 600 pounds and grossly obese then i would be grossed out. I just find people who are that size gross.

Don't worry, I don't have the rude things you've said mixed up with the rude things other have said.

Well done, darling. Well done.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Well, I figure baseless accusations can go either way <shrug> I stand by my theory that you've be basically brainwashed to believe that women should look a certain way, and because she doesn't fit that mold, she's "fat".

and i stand by mine that it is you that are deluded into thinking she is not fat.
This discussion has been closed.