Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Wow, this pissed me off.

1) The way I read this post and some of its subsequent comments, was that since someone is big they cannot be curvy, which is FALSE!!! I'm a big girl and I be damned if I don't have curves, and even if I did lose 30 more pounds my breasts would STILL be large, thank you very much.
    2) I can't even think with the ridiculousness I've just read, that Hendricks person may have thick/large thighs but they are not HUGE, she has wide hips and her lower body supports that. I believe the word used on the site was voluptuous.
    3) Connotation is everything, the way someone is raised and sees the world judges on their use of the word "curvy," denotation is a whole separate thing; and you need to take these things into account before you start ranting and raving over petty, trifling subjects.

I quoted this for the second point. She has wide hips, which is how she's shaped so she NATURALLY has to have larger legs. She wouldn't be able to walk if she had skinny legs with those hips!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets irritated by the painting of anyone slightly chubby, overweight or even grossly (morbidly) obese as 'curvy'? The media's a big fan of it, for one.
    I don't get irritated at all. Whatever people want to describe someone or something, it is their description their interpretation and their opinion. I should say as long as it isn't negative or mean, than why should I care? To each his own.....

If I had a £1 for every time someone on this thread said 'to each his own', I'd be accumulating a nice sum of money :laugh:
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    This thread...

!cid_003401c594ae$bfb0e9f0$06c85a42@admin.gif

For the love of God, people, take a deep breath and calm down.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

http://skinnyvscurvy.com/christina-hendricks/christina-hendricks-swimsuit.html

That's a rather shallow view. IMO, Christina Hendricks is one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood now...mostly because she's not an anorexic twig...but, hey...if that's your thing, who am I to judge?

she is definitely pretty and when i saw her on Firefly she was definitely sexy.

Even though she's all gross and fat and stuff? I like wimminz to be soft...if I wanted a hardbody beside me, I'd be gay....not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    christina hendricks is not curvy...she is fat. here are pictures of her in a bathing suit. we are so used to seeing people who are morbidly obese that we think people who are fat/overweight are normal.

I think you've got into your head that the "Hollywood norm" is what "normal" is...Christina Hendricks is beautiful and yes, she's curvy.

she is in no way healthy/not fat...whatever in those bathing suit pics. she is a pretty girl but she is fat in those pics. i think it is your perception that is distorted. you honestly think those thighs are indicative of a healthy person?

Uh, yes. They're not huge. So she's not Kiera Knightly thin. Big effing deal. She still has a killer body.

they are huge. you prove my point that we are so used to seeing morbidly obese people that when we see people who are just obese they look normal. those thighs are in no way normal on a person with a healthy BF%.
    here some info about her
    Christina Hendricks Weight?
    70 kilograms of 154 pounds

How Tall Is Christina Hendricks?
    5′ 7½” (1.71 m)

What Are Christina Hendricks Measurements?
    36C-23-36

What is Christina Hendricks bra size?
    38-DDD

Date Of Birth
    3 May 1975, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

Birth Name
    Christina Rene Hendricks
    skinny? no, fat? no, healthy yes

Whoa, she's a 36C? How's that even possible?! I'm 38C :S
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I'm overweight, and curvy. 38D-33-45 measurements.

You can be both, but I get your drift OP and agree.

Curvy is more shape than size. Plenty of thin women are curvy and plenty of obese women are not. I do hear it often misused by obese or overweight women to describe themselves or others.

Examples:

SJP - Sarah Jessica Parker - thin and curvy

Sarah-Jessica-Parker-Is-Pink-Hot.jpg

Kim Kardashian - Average size and curvy

4548c397ea01a2fb_Kim-Kardashian.jpg

Christina Hendricks - Large size and curvy

168164.jpg

I think all three of these women are gorgeous, by the way.

^You got it. Loud and clear. Thank you :)
  • abberbabber
    Options

Well, I figure baseless accusations can go either way <shrug> I stand by my theory that you've be basically brainwashed to believe that women should look a certain way, and because she doesn't fit that mold, she's "fat".

and i stand by mine that it is you that are deluded into thinking she is not fat.

Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Personally, I think she has a bangin' body...I'd love to look like her some day.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    This thread...

!cid_003401c594ae$bfb0e9f0$06c85a42@admin.gif

For the love of God, people, take a deep breath and calm down.

That little animation made me LOL a little harder than I probably should have :laugh:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I think you've got into your head that the "Hollywood norm" is what "normal" is...Christina Hendricks is beautiful and yes, she's curvy.

she is in no way healthy/not fat...whatever in those bathing suit pics. she is a pretty girl but she is fat in those pics. i think it is your perception that is distorted. you honestly think those thighs are indicative of a healthy person?

Uh, yes. They're not huge. So she's not Kiera Knightly thin. Big effing deal. She still has a killer body.

they are huge. you prove my point that we are so used to seeing morbidly obese people that when we see people who are just obese they look normal. those thighs are in no way normal on a person with a healthy BF%.
    here some info about her

5′ 7½” (1.71 m)

36C-23-36

38-DDD

Date Of Birth

Birth Name
    Christina Rene Hendricks

Definitely not. I'm a 38D (very similar size to CH by sizing), and there is NO WAY she is 154 lbs. I'm also 5'8" and a size 14 and 179 currently (in my profile pic). 38D-33-45. Her hips are wider than mine, and her legs are bigger, so I'd put her closer to 185-195 lbs (she is the same height as me) and her boobs are AT LEAST a DD or possibly E. By classification on the BMI scale, she is absolutely overweight. That doesn't mean she isn't gorgeous though. She is. She is also curvy (proportions of measurements).

Also, I think some of those measurements are way off or maybe taken at some other previous time than current photos of her. She is a size 14/16 (she has been a 12 many years ago).
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I knew what your meant by grossly obese, same as if someone was talking about a misunderstanding as "grossly mistaken."

The only contrbutions to the topic I have are:

1) Why are people who are offended by "grossly" so much happier with "morbidly"?

morbid [mawr-bid]

—adjective

1. suggesting an unhealthy mental state or attitude; unwholesomely gloomy, sensitive, extreme, etc.: a morbid interest in death.
    2. affected by, caused by, causing, or characteristic of disease.
    3. pertaining to diseased parts: morbid anatomy.
    4. gruesome; grisly.

How the feck does that make you feel better about yourself? Besides it being a medical term

2) i also really dislike when obese ladies make a deal of how large their breasts are, when its only becaise they are large all over. That may be because Ive been flat chested through fat and thin ;p

Edited for my bad typos, oop!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The difference is one is a value judgement (ie you're overweight and therefore gross) and the other is based on actual, measurable things. You know, like disease. It is possible to be obese and NOT morbidly obese - obese and not disease riddled. It is not possible to call someone grossly obese without either intentionally or unintentionally imposing a value judgement on that person based SOLELY ON THEIR WEIGHT.

So to answer your question, I'm offended when people call obese people 'grossly obese' because it's a disgusting way to characterise another person. I'm not offended at the term morbidly obese when used as a medical term because it is a medical term based on measurable information.

But the difference is the context and the intention.

And I know it's possible to be obese and not morbidly so, but I mentioned morbidly so ........?
  • abberbabber
    Options

here some info about her

5′ 7½” (1.71 m)

36C-23-36

38-DDD

Date Of Birth

Birth Name
    Christina Rene Hendricks

Definitely not. I'm a 38D (very similar size to CH by sizing), and there is NO WAY she is 154 lbs. I'm also 5'8" and a size 14. 38D-33-45. Her hips are wider than mine, and her legs are bigger, so I'd put her closer to 185-195 lbs (she is the same height as me) and her boobs are AT LEAST a DD or possibly E.

It says right in there that she's a DDD....
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

That's a rather shallow view. IMO, Christina Hendricks is one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood now...mostly because she's not an anorexic twig...but, hey...if that's your thing, who am I to judge?

Even though she's all gross and fat and stuff? I like wimminz to be soft...if I wanted a hardbody beside me, I'd be gay....not that there's anything wrong with that.

you can be fat and pretty and fat and sexy. im surprised you feel different. and someone is gay because they are attracted to a hardbody? wow...not sure how to respond to that one.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I am not saying 'grossly obese' as in 'ew', I am using grossly obese as in the medical term, grossly meaning extremely. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Medical terms for obesity:

1. Obese class 1
    2. Obese class 2
    3. Morbidly obese
    3. Hyperobese.

I realised a long time ago that 'grossly' obese is not a medical term.

Yeah I saw that after I had already posted.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

lol are you serious? Yeah, she has some extra fat on her body, but to decide that she suffers from health problems because her thighs are bigger than what you deem a healthy size is inane.

lol where did i say she suffers from health problems? i do not know her medical history.

Is there something in this thread that makes people forget what they typed the minute they hit "post reply"? :laugh: You said it right here:

You are saying in the above bolded bit that she is not healthy. If someone is unhealthy, it will manifests in some way (cancer, asthma, shortness of breath, etc etc etc.) Thigh size does not correlate to level of fitness or health, buddy.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

here some info about her

5′ 7½” (1.71 m)

36C-23-36

38-DDD

Date Of Birth

Birth Name
    Christina Rene Hendricks

Definitely not. I'm a 38D (very similar size to CH by sizing), and there is NO WAY she is 154 lbs. I'm also 5'8" and a size 14. 38D-33-45. Her hips are wider than mine, and her legs are bigger, so I'd put her closer to 185-195 lbs (she is the same height as me) and her boobs are AT LEAST a DD or possibly E.

It said 36C then 38DDD so I was going by the first measurement.
  • andrewinsuresal
    Options

you can be fat and pretty and fat and sexy. im surprised you feel different. and someone is gay because they are attracted to a hardbody? wow...not sure how to respond to that one.

animated-peanut.gif
  • abberbabber
    Options

Yea, I dunno where the C comes from :laugh: I just kinda went "Huh?" and assumed it was a typo.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Yea, I dunno where the C comes from :laugh: I just kinda went "Huh?" and assumed it was a typo.

LOL I thought so to. Like maybe she was a 36C at age 13. LOL :laugh:
  • abberbabber
    Options

LOL I thought so to. Like maybe she was a 36C at age 13. LOL :laugh:

:laugh: Exactly.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

lol are you serious? Yeah, she has some extra fat on her body, but to decide that she suffers from health problems because her thighs are bigger than what you deem a healthy size is inane.

lol where did i say she suffers from health problems? i do not know her medical history.

Is there something in this thread that makes people forget what they typed the minute they hit "post reply"? :laugh: You said it right here:

You are saying in the above bolded bit that she is not healthy. If someone is unhealthy, it will manifests in some way (cancer, asthma, shortness of breath, etc etc etc.) Thigh size does not correlate to level of fitness or health, buddy.

being unhealthy(fat) does not mean you have health problems(cancer, asthma etc...) at the current time.
This discussion has been closed.