Harsh words & bashing instead of support & motivation?

Options

Replies

• NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    I am so happy to see others that share my thoughts! Thanks all!

CHEERS TO THAT!!!
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I certainly ditto that!!!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I only mean this half-jokingly but.....

.... some people get fed up seeing the same topics / nonsense / idiots crop up time and time again

.... a lot of people when given perfectly sound advice, say things like 'I don't believe that ( e.g. You should not eat back your cals cos I can SO survive on 500 cals a day) The person who has taken the time to answer them is not thanked but replied to with rubbish like this so they can get a little narky.

.... a lot need their beliefs to be their mantras and their motivation and relish the chance to repeat them as often as possible. They are also reenforcing for themselves as well as answering a question.

.... sometimes with all the chatter on the site from various evangelists (no carb, low carb, any sort of carb, carb, no fat, low fat, high fat, not THOSE fats!!) some people feel they have to hammer their point home with Thor's hammer. So they do.

This is not a fluffy bunny admiration society, it is a primarily a weight-loss site, people here are going to be craving chocolate (or whatever), eating less than they are used to and a lot are hurting from working out. Most are trying to ignore the triggers than sent them down the road of over-eating in the 1st place. Considering all that, it is a wonder there is not wholesale slaughter sometimes :laugh: :sad:

I think that pretty much covers it...
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I only mean this half-jokingly but.....

.... some people get fed up seeing the same topics / nonsense / idiots crop up time and time again

.... a lot of people when given perfectly sound advice, say things like 'I don't believe that ( e.g. You should not eat back your cals cos I can SO survive on 500 cals a day) The person who has taken the time to answer them is not thanked but replied to with rubbish like this so they can get a little narky.

.... a lot need their beliefs to be their mantras and their motivation and relish the chance to repeat them as often as possible. They are also reenforcing for themselves as well as answering a question.

.... sometimes with all the chatter on the site from various evangelists (no carb, low carb, any sort of carb, carb, no fat, low fat, high fat, not THOSE fats!!) some people feel they have to hammer their point home with Thor's hammer. So they do.

This is not a fluffy bunny admiration society, it is a primarily a weight-loss site, people here are going to be craving chocolate (or whatever), eating less than they are used to and a lot are hurting from working out. Most are trying to ignore the triggers than sent them down the road of over-eating in the 1st place. Considering all that, it is a wonder there is not wholesale slaughter sometimes :laugh: :sad:

I think that pretty much covers it...

TOM .... I forgot that ! :angry:
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we're MFP friends Swanny.

Everytime I see you "whisking" I am too! Uh, I mean, I value your support and motivation.

I think it's time for me to take a new one. That one was from a year ago. Hmmm if I use the same whisk in my progress pics will people be able to see the difference in me between them? Also should I go for "distance" or "endurance" when it comes to "whisking"? ( <---tongue/whisk in cheek comments before I start getting "bashed" on by all the haters. [Sorry had to do that. :tongue:])

Whisk heavy.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ...I'm getting a boob job and need your prayers...
    Hall of Fame thread, right there.

funny-kid-tells-joke-to-dog.jpg
  • lizziegrace10
    Options
    Just some people like to say "my bro science is better than your bro science."

haha this made me laugh, it's so true.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What gets me is this is a weight loss site not a bodybuilding site.

Actually, I respectfully disagree. This is a fitness site designed for tracking food intake and nutrients. There are plenty of people using this site to gain weight.

Your right, I think though what happens is two groups with two different goals try and push what is right for them onto the other groups. It works both ways.
  • SLAYERDAN69
    Options
    i dont bully, but I do get harsh sometimes. Sometimes people that have a history of not being self motivated arent motivated by "awww come on, you can do it, tomorrow is another day" stuff. You need to be told--get up---quit being lazy. Stop making excuses. Stop lying to yourself.

Its not for everyone, but some people need that. As for bashing, it has no place. But in truth, I think the term bullying is too harsh. You cant be bullied here....if someone does, you block them or dump them, problem solved. SO in essence, its more assholishness than bullying.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I recently read several posts where fellow MFPers are saying harsh things to one another or pushing their views on others. Aren't we all here for the same reason? To get healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the duration? The last thing I want to see is someone being put down for trying. There is NO excuse for bullies no matter what age, race, weight, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own views, opinions and beliefs and although you do NOT have to agree with them, please keep your negative and self-esteem crunching comments off and just agree to disagree and move on with your own successes. Now, let's get back to helping each other and MOTIVATING and SUPPORTING each other in our journeys! Thanks, and good luck to all!

As one who got bashed in the past. Totally agree. We are here to help, encourage, and support each other. So lets all stop acting like were kids on a play ground and be the support we would want to get or better.
  • sassylm22
    sassylm22 Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm with you on this! We are all adults here.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i dont bully, but I do get harsh sometimes. Sometimes people that have a history of not being self motivated arent motivated by "awww come on, you can do it, tomorrow is another day" stuff. You need to be told--get up---quit being lazy. Stop making excuses. Stop lying to yourself.

Its not for everyone, but some people need that. As for bashing, it has no place. But in truth, I think the term bullying is too harsh. You cant be bullied here....if someone does, you block them or dump them, problem solved. SO in essence, its more assholishness than bullying.

Very true. The self pity and loathers only get to me when I see a thread or post of them feeling unmotivated for the nth time. Only then will I show some tough love. But in message form, not in a public forum. The strong with say "Oh yeah MFer?!", go to mammby pamby land and get some confidence. The weak will say "you're a bully" (which means pity me some more). Just my opinion.
  • jpbeck
    jpbeck Posts: 30
    Options
    I find that people aren't very open to contradictory opinions which generally leads to hostility. Many people just to need to remember that people aren't always going to pat them on the back. Don't start a forum thread if you don't want to hear varying opinions. And why not be open to other people's opinions because you are likely to learn something new.

I definitely agree with this. It really irks me when people just post something like "If you don't agree, then you shouldn't bother reading/replying", even when the opposing viewpoint was presented in a tactful manner.

I agree with this also, and the thing is it is not constricted to this board but I have seen it on many others. The thing is this is fundamentally a discussion board where we discuss things. To post something and saying that people shouldn't bother replying with opposing opinions you just might as well type it up on the computer and squirrel it away on your hard drive somewhere, at least there what you type will not be open to scrutiny.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to get fit. The right way. If you can't get on board with doing it right then your just doing it wrong.

morning-workout.jpg

Oh wait, your being sincere. Then yes you can come over and play with my toys.

Why is it that everyone who makes these photo memes has such lousy grammar?

I've wondered the same thing. :grumble:

It's because they are used to picture books. LOL

Dont hate. Animals dont take grammar.

Nor can they spell...and cuz itz hewmerus
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the pie. And the hardass meanies who pretty much make up my friends list and brook no BS. And...the ladies who lunch. Also...boobies!

I want pie!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Wow, I read all posts to this point, and there were so freaking many counter points I wanted to make, my head is spinning.

So instead:
    Not every person is born with a supportive and motivational personality.

Some people coddle.
    Some people enourage.
    Some people educate.
    Some people belittle.
    Some people make funny jokes.
    Some people make mean jokes.
    Some people motivate.
    Some people teach you how to motivate yourself.
    Some people kick your *kitten* cause they know you are being lazy.
    Some people give you a trophy just for showing up.
    Some people are kind.
    Some people are harsh and blunt.
    Some people think everyone else is stupid.
    Some people think everyone has the potential for greatness.
    Some people will hold your hand.
    Some people will hold you down.
    Some people will raise you up.

It takes a whole village to raise the bar.

Just like in real life.

You cannot force everyone to be the same kind of person that you happen to prefer. You take your motivation and support from those that work best with your own personality. Leave the rest.

Yoovie, this is why you're one of my MFPeeps =D.

And I'd like to add, where's Azackery? I don't know anyone on the forums more skilled at getting people to bash her. She's my new hero though, because when she starts talking about heavy lifting women having man chests, ALL of them change their profile pictures to prove her wrong.

Those my friends, are some impressive chests.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    awwww you sweet mfphucker :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Very true. The self pity and loathers only get to me when I see a thread or post of them feeling unmotivated for the nth time. Only then will I show some tough love. But in message form, not in a public forum. The strong with say "Oh yeah MFer?!", go to mammby pamby land and get some confidence. The weak will say "you're a bully" (which means pity me some more). Just my opinion.

RANDOM STORY!

I used to have a running partner. I would get discouraged sometimes and would slow down my pace. Mostly I was discouraged because my stupid body is so weak and stupid... but, anyway...

One day while we were running I had pushed myself too hard and so my ankles were all worn out and... I tripped and banged my leg up pretty bad. While I was on the ground whimpering in pain he started shouting at me: GET UP GET UP THE RUN ISN'T OVER! He pushed and pushed until I got my *kitten* up and finished the run... Finishing the run exacerbated my injury but gosh darn it, I finished that run to shut him the hell up and then I couldn't run again for a couple of months as my injury healed.

Sometimes motivation is good but sometimes the wrong motivation can cause injury. People need to learn the difference between the two...

Just sayin'.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    For those of you who actually understood what my whole point was, I thank you and commend you. For those who took it all wrong or out of context, maybe you should read the original post again and try to actually think about it from the perspective it was meant. I am not talking about being rough with telling people when they could use advice on what they are eating or how they are exercising. I am simply talking about the ones that have to belittle others for no reason at all and make them feel as though they are less than a human. Nobody on here is better than anyone else and nobody's opinions are better or worse, We all have our own, which is great. I just don't think there is a need to be ignorant and put people down who are trying to better themselves. As far as me saying that we are all here for the same reason.... well we ARE.... and if you read what I wrote to begin this thread I said specifically to be healthy. I never said specifically to lose or gain weight or bodybuild. Thanks
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    For those of you who actually understood what my whole point was, I thank you and commend you. For those who took it all wrong or out of context, maybe you should read the original post again and try to actually think about it from the perspective it was meant. I am not talking about being rough with telling people when they could use advice on what they are eating or how they are exercising. I am simply talking about the ones that have to belittle others for no reason at all and make them feel as though they are less than a human. Nobody on here is better than anyone else and nobody's opinions are better or worse, We all have our own, which is great. I just don't think there is a need to be ignorant and put people down who are trying to better themselves. As far as me saying that we are all here for the same reason.... well we ARE.... and if you read what I wrote to begin this thread I said specifically to be healthy. I never said specifically to lose or gain weight or bodybuild. Thanks

Yet, those that don't agree with you are less than you. As a matter of fact, they're being ignorant.

Well played.