Kashi cereal....beware.

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    haha I thought you were going to be warning about the cereal's flatulent effects. That's the real danger!!

Yeah...LOL...me too. When I started down my path to health and fitness I was eating the go lean crunch every day for breakfast...about a week of that and my wife was requesting that I sleep in the guest room. I gave it up after about a week and switched to coach's oats in the AM with eggs...much better now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mildly off topic but I generally avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. So when I first found Kashi I was like "Yay!!". Then realized that brown rice syrup is probably pretty similar. Was really disappointed. So now you have my random reminiscence for the day.

Actually brown rice syrup is nothing like HFCS. It's a natural product and can even be found organic.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Any plant or plant product you buy that is not labeled non-GMO or organic can be GMO.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For those that are paranoid about GMO products, here's food for thought (pun intended)...a long time anti-GMO activist had a complete reversal and now regrets his prior position...

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/01/lecture-to-oxford-farming-conference-3-january-2013/

I also see things on these postings about brown rice syrup being just like corn syrup...sure it's a sweetener but it has a much lower glycemic index.

I've personally found Kashi products to be some of the most healtful and best conceived products on the market (and they mostly are quite tasty)...
  • bcattoes
    Options
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    IDGAF. I like go lean and go lean crunch. Not changing this consumer's mind.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all soy and corn in your food is GMO.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    For those that are paranoid about GMO products, here's food for thought (pun intended)...a long time anti-GMO activist had a complete reversal and now regrets his prior position...

http://www.marklynas.org/2013/01/lecture-to-oxford-farming-conference-3-january-2013/

I also see things on these postings about brown rice syrup being just like corn syrup...sure it's a sweetener but it has a much lower glycemic index.

I've personally found Kashi products to be some of the most healtful and best conceived products on the market (and they mostly are quite tasty)...
    Fructose has an extremely low GI of around 15-20. It takes forever for your body to process, which is a good thing.

BRS has a very high GI...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice_syrup
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    According to this Livestrong article, Brown rice Syrup has a glycemic index of 25...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/474520-the-effects-of-brown-rice-syrup-on-blood-sugar/
  • bcattoes
    Options

If you mean in processed foods, then yes that is true. But soy products like tofu, edamame, tempeh and soy milk are usually organic.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link
    I’d assumed that GM was dangerous. It turned out that it was safer and more precise than conventional breeding using mutagenesis for example; GM just moves a couple of genes, whereas conventional breeding mucks about with the entire genome in a trial and error way.
    I’d assumed that it would increase the use of chemicals. It turned out that pest-resistant cotton and maize needed less insecticide
    There is a depressing irony here that the anti-biotech campaigners complain about GM crops only being marketed by big corporations when this is a situation they have done more than anyone to help bring about.
    To quote Norman Borlaug again: “I now say that the world has the technology — either available or well advanced in the research pipeline — to feed on a sustainable basis a population of 10 billion people. The more pertinent question today is whether farmers and ranchers will be permitted to use this new technology? While the affluent nations can certainly afford to adopt ultra low-risk positions, and pay more for food produced by the so-called ‘organic’ methods, the one billion chronically undernourished people of the low income, food-deficit nations cannot.”

As Borlaug was saying, perhaps the most pernicious myth of all is that organic production is better, either for people or the environment. The idea that it is healthier has been repeatedly disproved in the scientific literature. We also know from many studies that organic is much less productive, with up to 40-50% lower yields in terms of land area. The Soil Association went to great lengths in a recent report on feeding the world with organic not to mention this productivity gap.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    According to this Livestrong article, Brown rice Syrup has a glycemic index of 25...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/474520-the-effects-of-brown-rice-syrup-on-blood-sugar/
    That is impossible considering its ingredients. Maltose for example has a GI of 105, and BRS is almost 50% maltose.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    haha I thought you were going to be warning about the cereal's flatulent effects. That's the real danger!!

LMAO ME TOO!! could never eat it, it was bad!!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

If you mean in processed foods, then yes that is true. But soy products like tofu, edamame, tempeh and soy milk are usually organic.

If they are organic then they are not GMO intentionally, but GMO contamination into nonGMO products is widely known. Also unprocessed GMO sweet corn is being sold by walmart and the major grocery chains. So it is in the unprocessed as well.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Aren't Kashi products supposed to be good for you? They never looked appetizing and I always see them in the health food aisles of the grocery store. There need to be better regulations for supposed healthy foods and companies.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If they are organic then they are not GMO intentionally, but GMO contamination into nonGMO products is widely known. Also unprocessed GMO sweet corn is being sold by walmart and the major grocery chains. So it is in the unprocessed as well.

It's not just corn. Many fresh vegetables in all markest (in the US) are GMO. They don't have to be labeled as such so unless it says organic, you likely won't know.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think it is only a matter of time before all food is GMO...big companies can make better profits with GMO. And money is the root of all evil.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Go Paleo!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Go Paleo!

Give up peanut butter and beans?? No thanks.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Go Paleo!

Give up peanut butter and beans?? No thanks.

Don't have to give up PB. it is a nut and in Paleo. Although i moved to Almond butter.

I kept legumes in.... minor modification.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This doesn't change my mind. I try and vary my meals from day to day so I'm never having Kashi more than everyday three days. For me, moderation is the key.