"Running isn't good for you"

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    "Excessive" running isn't good. From an evolutionary standpoint, we have the ability to run to have to been able to chase down food, however running for fitness and to lose weight wasn't what the design was for. Ask any runner who's been at it for years and they'll tell you about knee pain, ankle pain, foot pain, etc.
    Any excessive exercise isn't good for the body. Lifting TOO much weight for long periods of time kills joints and connective tissue. Playing football for years wears the body down. Being a "pro" wrestler takes a toll on your body. Being a competitive ball room dancer kills your feet and ankles.
    There's lots of exercise if done excessively that results in injury. So do it in moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Here's all you need to know.

Zombies don't care if running is bad for your knees. The fact that you can burn a similar amount of calories walking will not save you from having your flesh chewed up.

Sometimes in life, you just gotta RUN!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Running CAN be bad for your knees, hips, feet, etc. BUT, like others have said, getting good shoes, having good form AND incorporating other workouts into your routine (like circuit training, weights) that balance out all your muscles and give you a good core for support minimize the wear and tear on your joints while running.

I've recently gotten my mileage up to 12 miles at a time -- but SLOWLY, over time, with good shoes, AND incorporating lots of circuit training and stretching into my training. So far, I've had a little discomfort here and there, but nothing a dose of Ibuprofin and a rest day couldn't cure. No injuries, either. My only injury happened when I went too far too fast, and in the wrong shoes. I learned my lesson.

Keep going. Just do it the smart way (like you have been) and you'll be fine!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    She's ALMOST right. Running is VERY good for your body as a whole. It's not so good for you knees. It's a lot of pressure. I believe the science of it is when you stand your weight puts X amount of pressure on your knees. When you run, every step puts 10 times X amount of pressure on your knees. Running is not UNHEALTHY. It's EXTREMELY HEALTHY. It's just hard on your knees.

It is not "unhealthy for your knees". Running is a high-impact activity, and, like any other high-impact activity, carries a higher risk of injury, but the injuries are mainly to soft tissues and are often aggravated by incorrect training, unaddressed muscle imbalances and flexibility defects, etc., not just running per se.

There is no evidence that running causes long-term structural damage to the actual knee joint itself. In fact, the same impact the increases the risk for soft tissue injury also leads to greater bone strength and the extra activity could very well promote long-term knee health.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My friend is a marathon runner and swears by "bear foot running". You should check it out. It's supposed to be a lot easier on your joints.

Danger! Barefoot isn't for everyone and it's certainly not something that someone who has worn shoes all their life should just up and start doing.

DITTO. I fractured my heel running barefoot too far too fast. NOT a fun recovery.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My friend is a marathon runner and swears by "bear foot running". You should check it out. It's supposed to be a lot easier on your joints.

Danger! Barefoot isn't for everyone and it's certainly not something that someone who has worn shoes all their life should just up and start doing.

"Bear foot" running is even worse--especially trying to get the bear foot in the first place !!!!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Reply: "I know. That's why hunter-gatherers would stroll after the mammoths and sit on the couch while saber-tooth tigers chased them. Seems like every other animal on the planet is made to move quickly when necessary, but I guess humans aren't. I guess I'll just sit back on the couch and see how that works for me. While I'm at it, I'll eat a lot of processed junk food instead of fruits and veggies and lean meat."
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Like many has said running is amazing but bad for knees and joints. However, if you are doing it right running will be fantastic no matter what. If you get fitted for shoes, take your time, have rest days established, stretch often, running most likely won't be a problem. But a lot of other cardio and exercises can be at some point bad for you. It is a risk we all take, but if you do right with proper form, breathing, and everything else I said you most likely won't have a problem.
  • HerHusbandTheirDaddy
    Options
    Look into EVOLUTION RUNNING. It is natural running technique that reduces injuries. It has worked for me and has improved my 1.5 mile time. Now instead of finishing in the middle of the pack, I am leading the pack. It has also allowed me to run over 5 miles at a time, pain free. I am NOT an avid runner, but I am staring to like it more now that it hurts less.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    3 years ago, I switched to barefoot/minimalist shoes and changed my running style. I had recurring bouts of knee pain and shin splints with conventional running shoes. Now I run further, faster and none of the aforementioned problems. Next time anyone tells your running isn't good for you, just smile and keep doing what you love! See you on the road!
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Road running is very stressfull on your entire body, but thats why people take supplements like protien and fish oils so that the body can repair and replace so that it can perform. Field/ cross country running is less stressful.
    BUT its deff better than doing nothing.
    She was lucky I wasnt there hearing that, I bet she cares more about the outside of her bpdy (looks) than the inside.
    Pfffffffffttttt to her
    :-p
  • VeganJP
    VeganJP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OK...somebody help me out here! What's the name of the tribe in the lower americas in which they run hundreds of miles...just for fun. I think they would beg to differ that running is bad :wink:

**Edit: Found it...the Tarahumara.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    this has been pretty much blown away

your risk of knee damage is higher if your over weight vs someone who runs alot.

Well, fortunately this convo was about running vs walking, not running vs being overweight.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    OK...somebody help me out here! What's the name of the tribe in the lower americas in which they run hundreds of miles...just for fun. I think they would beg to differ that running is bad :wink:

I am pretty sure their diet is different than ours. And their genetics is surely not the same. People are complex.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    What if some one is chasing you? Would you rather be good at walking away, or running away?
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't good -- if you eat the wrong foods.

Walking isn't good for you -- if you walk in front of a bus.

Lifting weights isn't good for you -- if you drop them on your foot.

Running is a natural function of the human body. If running is bad for you, how come there are SO many people 40+ years of age that are runners? When you go to your 5K race (because I know you will complete C25K and then run a race), look at the entries for 40+ and you will see it makes up a good portion of the race.

Granted, constant pounding can be rough on knees and hips, but who says you have to run on pavement 100% of the time? Change it up - run on a track - they are rubber or crushed gravel. Run on trails or in a field, or a treadmill (most have shock impact built in). Also, keep your stride low and somewhat short - it will cause you to strike less on the heel (this is what truly causes impactful damage) and will cause you to run more mid-foot strike which lessens the impact.

Also, those that say running is bad for you generally don't like running and think that the answer to everything is strength training. Don't get me wrong, I strength train in addition to my running, and it makes my body stronger which improves my running. The running improves my endurance and cardiovascular fitness.

Greg

Best. Answer. Ever. lol! :drinker:
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Anything can be hard on your body, especially if it's not done the right way. My husband had surgery on BOTH knees when he was younger and has struggled with knee pain ever since. He took up running after we signed upand completed a mudrun last July. He's addicted now, 35lbs lighter. and his knee pain is just a memory. I agree with the poster who mentioned going to a running store and getting the right pair of shoes--it makes all the difference in the world!

Tell your 'walker' supervisor "To each his own!" and keep on trekkin!

Happy running!:wink:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

The Tarahumara Tribe from Northwest Mexico.
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Here's all you need to know.

Zombies don't care if running is bad for your knees. The fact that you can burn a similar amount of calories walking will not save you from having your flesh chewed up.

Sometimes in life, you just gotta RUN!

Nevermind....THIS is the best answer ever! *claps for Brett*