"Running isn't good for you"

Options
I suck at quick retorts and comebacks....I usually come up with something good I could have said hours after the exchange....but this has still stumped me.....because one little part in the back of my brain actually believes what was said to me....

I was in the locker room at the gym we have here where I work. Two other coworkers and I were discussing workouts and I was explaining the C25K program I'm doing. The one coworker is actually a supervisor (not of me, directly - but I do have a high respect of her) looked at me and said, "You know, running isn't good for you. Walking at a fast pace is so much better."

Taken by surprise that this very fit woman would have that view, I just explained that it is my goal to one day run in a 5K, just so I could know that I did it! She walks away saying that it's going to kill my knees....

I had no reply..... thoughts?

Replies

• HeyHeyRae
    HeyHeyRae Posts: 48
    Options
    She's ALMOST right. Running is VERY good for your body as a whole. It's not so good for you knees. It's a lot of pressure. I believe the science of it is when you stand your weight puts X amount of pressure on your knees. When you run, every step puts 10 times X amount of pressure on your knees. Running is not UNHEALTHY. It's EXTREMELY HEALTHY. It's just hard on your knees.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    She's partially right to be honest. Running puts a lot of impact on your knees and other joints and can cause problems (or if you already have joint problems, make them worse).

I just finished C25K and I have bad knees. My dad (a physical therapist) has said for years I should stick with walking and avoid running at all costs, and in the past, it has bothered my knees. The different was this time I went to a running specialty store and got fitted for running shoes. It has made a world of difference and I've had no knee problems whatsoever.

So if you want a retort to "running isn't good for you", I'd go with something along the lines of "any exercise can hurt your body if you're not doing it right." You could also tailor it to the specific activity she was doing :)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise, running and walking a mile burn roughly the same it just takes longer. But there is much less impact walking. Another retort could be that driving is bad for you too but we all do it.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    you know what is worse for your knees? being overweight!

My Dh has had ACL reconstruction due to a sport injury and had arthritis in both knees prior to starting to run. He does just fine.

Best retort is to smile and walk away with your healthy knees and increasingly finer looking butt.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Running does have a lot of wear and tear but, for me, it only showed up after I got out of shape. I was a distance runner from middle school to college and I only really started aching when I became unfit and put on the pounds.

so a good retort would be only if you can't keep doing it.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    this has been pretty much blown away

your risk of knee damage is higher if your over weight vs someone who runs alot.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't good -- if you eat the wrong foods.

Walking isn't good for you -- if you walk in front of a bus.

Lifting weights isn't good for you -- if you drop them on your foot.

Running is a natural function of the human body. If running is bad for you, how come there are SO many people 40+ years of age that are runners? When you go to your 5K race (because I know you will complete C25K and then run a race), look at the entries for 40+ and you will see it makes up a good portion of the race.

Granted, constant pounding can be rough on knees and hips, but who says you have to run on pavement 100% of the time? Change it up - run on a track - they are rubber or crushed gravel. Run on trails or in a field, or a treadmill (most have shock impact built in). Also, keep your stride low and somewhat short - it will cause you to strike less on the heel (this is what truly causes impactful damage) and will cause you to run more mid-foot strike which lessens the impact.

Also, those that say running is bad for you generally don't like running and think that the answer to everything is strength training. Don't get me wrong, I strength train in addition to my running, and it makes my body stronger which improves my running. The running improves my endurance and cardiovascular fitness.

Greg
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My knees were pretty much shot before I started running from playing high school football and then marching in my college band, as well as years of intramural sports and being over weight. My knees ached non-stop when I started C25K and then would ache only moderately as the weight came off. If you have good form, while the wear and tear on the knees is inevitable, it is overall great for you IMHO.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

This article is great, love Runner's World!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Why have a retort at all? Someone that is going to offer an opinion like that isn't going to listen to your explanation anyway. Their shallow mind is already made up. Why waste your breath? Simply shrug your shoulders and change the subject to something else. Even though she posed that statement as a question, she was probably looking for some conflict. Diffuse it and don't let it impact your serenity. It's just not worth it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't have any links on hand, but from what I've read, running is bad for your knees if you have bad knees. That it's not the running that causes the knee problems, and knee problems occur just as much in non-runners as in runners.

There's wayyyyy too many runners in their 50s, 60s and 70s at the races I do for it to be detrimental to everyone's knees.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My knees and shin splints debilitate me when I run. Walking at a fast past I can do forever though.

Saying that, I still run LOL
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lots of exercise is hard on your knees. Harder on your knees is carrying around excess weight.

If you are at the point in your fitness journey where the difference in how many calories and exact timing of consumption matters, then I might consider listening to the minutiae. For most of us non-olympians, however, you can pretty much do what is enjoyable so you can meet your personal goals and feel better all over.

The play is the thing, if she has fun walking, great! If you are having fun seeing progress toward your 5K goal, hot damn, sister keep going!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    We are designed to run.

The supervisor is talking out her *kitten*.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The knee risk is a risk to anyone who does anything with poor form, does too much too soon, or wears improper footwear. What is truly bad for our knees is not using them as they were intended--use it or lose it.

In studies of long-term runners vs. non-runners the runners actually had healthier knees. That running-is-bad-for-knees hogwash is simply popular urban myth.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure humans ran for many thousands of years from lions and such. If we aren't designed to run, I don't know what we are designed to do.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My friend is a marathon runner and swears by "bear foot running". You should check it out. It's supposed to be a lot easier on your joints.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Agree completely! Well, since this woman is a supervisor you might want to find a nice way to tell her she is full of crap. Also, I trail run which is on softer surfaces and I adore being out in the woods.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My friend is a marathon runner and swears by "bear foot running". You should check it out. It's supposed to be a lot easier on your joints.

Danger! Barefoot isn't for everyone and it's certainly not something that someone who has worn shoes all their life should just up and start doing.