"Running isn't good for you"

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    We may have been designed to run, but we weren't designed to run on pavement and we weren't designed to wear shoes with 1" soles. Knee problems are usually due to heel-striking.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Running is not good for me. I have a bad knee (many injuries) , and was told years ago that it I want to remain mobile, running and jumping are not good for me. Walking is much lower impact, and for many people, it's more sustainable. That's not to say running isn't good for YOU as an individual, but for some people it's not the first choice of exercise.

My brother is still fairly young and because of earlier knee injuries, just had a knee replacement, because he was at the point where he literally could not run across the street. He's very fit but running isn't for him either.

(Our injuries were both sports-related, so that's why it's important for teens to really be careful with their knees: the effects can be lifelong if you injure yourself).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation occur with my friend/hairdresser. She said "it's not good for your uterus!" I was gobsmacked to say the least. My comeback was that it was my OBGyn who encouraged me to run and that she was a runner too. If anyone should be more worried about my uterus it would be her.

Bwahahahaha...the old "running will make your uterus fall out" line (which is such complete and utter BS perpetuated prior to Title 9). Yeah, I keep waiting for this to happen...I don't want mine anymore. It's the source of a lot of pain and irritation for me. So far I have not been so lucky--not even the year I ran 1800 miles or while running marathons.

I can't believe that this myth is still being propagated. It's 2012 for cripes sake.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

That's funny. You just described me. Guess what? The weight DID fall off!

haha! fab answer to that stereotypical comment! most of us run because we actually enjoy it! and yes I run so i can eat cake! you should try it! its fun
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    Protect your joins and run barefoot! Google the benefits of barefoot running, you'll be amazed! I've been going barefoot/wearing Vibrams for a year now and my knee problems have completely disappeared!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Running is awful for your knee's... You know a good runner when you see them running next to the pavement and on the grass instead. I've got severe tendonitis because of running :(
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Well my husband just went to a specialty running store where they put him on a treadmill and videoed his stride. You can actually SEE how your foot may be landing wrong causing all kinds of problems. NOW, he has no pain, with the right inserts. =] building strength and using proper equipment should be important in ANY sport.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Danger! Barefoot isn't for everyone...

Humans managed to get by for tens of thousands of years with their bare feet... as long as you ease yourself into it, your body was designed to run without shoes.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    We may have been designed to run, but we weren't designed to run on pavement and we weren't designed to wear shoes with 1" soles. Knee problems are usually due to heel-striking.

Knee problems can arise for many reasons: earlier sports injuries, arthritis, loose ligaments, underdeveloped leg muscles and more.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Why run when you can get almost the same amount of burn from a brisk walk....

...without the stress on the CNS.

Because it's fun! I just can't get the same adrenaline rush after a brisk walk...I like the running high! :D
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Running is awful for your knee's... You know a good runner when you see them running next to the pavement and on the grass instead. I've got severe tendonitis because of running :(

That's not because of the knees, it's because of all the soft tissue involved when you run. When you are doing 70 miles a week, there are cumulative effects on ALL the systems required to run, not just the knees.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

I don't know what kind of amazing you're looking for, 75% bone?

If you're just looking for someone with low body fat % and visible abs, should be pretty easy to find.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of running. At my age, I am starting to see people that have run their whole lives, having knees replaced. Also, the constant pounding is not the best for our breasts and face. I remember talking to one dad after he got his knees repaired....he said, and here I thought I was being healthy running and now look at me, had to have my knees repaired and I have to wear these stupid shoes (they were some sort of tennis shoes that had a good shock thing...IDK what they were haha)

BUT, I do not think you need a come back. What you explained was right on. YOu have always wanted to do a marathon and that is one of your goals. I think that is great. And, if you love running, then keep doing it and take precautions on protecting your knees and boobs...like wear good shoes and good bras,. I think a lot of runners run because they love it...and I think it is better to run than to not do anything.

I teach Zumba, and even though I would say my class is intense, I try to make sure that I do not have any high impact because I do not want my ladies to hurt their knees.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

You know, there are some elites who heel-strike. One quick route to injury is majorly messing-around with one's natural stride. I agree that overbuilt shoes are generally a bad idea, but that doesn't mean that everyone should be going out and running barefoot and making drastic changes to their natural biomechanics. Overthinking running is the source of a lot of injuries.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Tendinitis is not "knees". They are different physical structures.

For people with higher arches and some others, uneven surfaces like grass can provoke a lot of issues. For some runners, more even surfaces like sidewalks and asphalt are best, even with the higher impact forces.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Why run when you can get almost the same amount of burn from a brisk walk....

...without the stress on the CNS.

Because it's fun! I just can't get the same adrenaline rush after a brisk walk...I like the running high! :D

A walk that's brisk enough to burn the same as my running is going to be pretty uncomfortable. I'm not really into racewalking.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Danger! Barefoot isn't for everyone...

Humans managed to get by for tens of thousands of years with their bare feet... as long as you ease yourself into it, your body was designed to run without shoes.

And I would agree with you if everyone never put on a pair of shoes. However, this is not the case. Because we are shod from childhood, some people develop a gait that is not conducive to barefoot running at all. Can, they get there? Maybe. But someone who is in a motion control shoe would need to take a long time. They would have to consciously change their gait and move down to a stability shoe and then to neutral before even thinking about barefoot.

Trust me when I say that I'm not against barefoot running. I do barefoot strides and form drills when the weather permits. I just don't think that framing barefoot running as the cure to all running injuries is a responsible thing to do. Does it work for some people? Sure? But to paraphrase Ryan Hall when he was asked what he thought about it, I'll give it a try when I start getting passed by barefoot runners. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What if some one is chasing you? Would you rather be good at walking away, or running away?

I would just carry a gun.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

I don't know what kind of amazing you're looking for, 75% bone?

If you're just looking for someone with low body fat % and visible abs, should be pretty easy to find.

I sure wouldn't mind looking like David Goggins....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-560--12944-0,00.html
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

You know, there are some elites who heel-strike. One quick route to injury is majorly messing-around with one's natural stride. I agree that overbuilt shoes are generally a bad idea, but that doesn't mean that everyone should be going out and running barefoot and making drastic changes to their natural biomechanics. Overthinking running is the source of a lot of injuries.

I don't think one can truly find their natural stride without running barefoot. I think its dumb to run barefoot or in 5-fingers on pavement for long distances, but barefoot running as a training tool on a soft surface would be very beneficial to unlearning the bad habits and weakening of the feet developed by wearing overbuilt shoes.

Injury rates for runners are exceedingly high. Most have little to lose by exploring the alternate to doing what their local running store tells them to do.