"Running isn't good for you"

Options

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    We may have been designed to run, but we weren't designed to run on pavement and we weren't designed to wear shoes with 1" soles. Knee problems are usually due to heel-striking.

You know, there are some elites who heel-strike. One quick route to injury is majorly messing-around with one's natural stride. I agree that overbuilt shoes are generally a bad idea, but that doesn't mean that everyone should be going out and running barefoot and making drastic changes to their natural biomechanics. Overthinking running is the source of a lot of injuries.

I don't think one can truly find their natural stride without running barefoot. I think its dumb to run barefoot or in 5-fingers on pavement for long distances, but barefoot running as a training tool on a soft surface would be very beneficial to unlearning the bad habits and weakening of the feet developed by wearing overbuilt shoes.

Injury rates for runners are exceedingly high. Most have little to lose by exploring the alternate to doing what their local running store tells them to do.

I'm definitely not against barefoot running as a tool...but I have several friends who jumped into it and suffered injuries from rushing the process. The longer I've run, the less shoe I've required. I started in beefy stability shoes and now alternate between light stability performance trainers and low-drop neutrals.

As for the injury rates among runners, they are very concentrated among new runners--the ones who don't ease themselves into the sport or try to run through pain (runners are a stubborn lot). In 6 years I've had 2 injuries that slowed me down--a cranky right knee when I rushed recovery after a 25k and a grade 2 sprained ankle during a trail relay. The sprain wasn't even specifically a running injury, I just happened to be running when I did it. My BFF had injury upon injury in the first couple of years she was running...because she trains inconsistently, runs through pain, and runs too fast (her "easy" training pace is not much slower than her race pace).

That is so true. The majority of people I know with running injuries (as in, injuries that are specifically related to running, not injuries gotten from other thing that hamper running), are people who aren't doing it right. They don't have proper form and stride, and they don't train consistently. They're usually just people who hop right out on muscles that can't handle the exertion, and then they break down, take a rest, and jump back in at the same intensity without learning to gradually build up and cross-train to keep themselves in an overall strong form.

I firmly believe that as humans, we were born to run. We have the mechanics, and when it's done right, there is not pain, injury, or issues. Ask any running coach who know about biomechanics and the huge role they play, and they will always say the same thing.

I recently switched to minimalist shoes, and it has made a complete world of difference in an old knee issue, just in the few weeks I've incorporated it. But it's like any other sport. If you don't train properly, you cannot do it without hurting yourself. Our bodies might have the right base, but they cannot go from nothing to high intensity with bad mechanical form, which is often what people do.
  • LilRedRooster
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

While everyone may disagree- having been someone who took up running, and didn't see any difference in weight loss or body composition, he is not that off base.

I am sure that there are some people who start running and the weight just comes off- great for you. For others that might not be the case.

Also "running" in and of itself will not make you "healthy" running combined with a good diet will help make you healthy.

Yeah, skipping the cardiovasular fitness aspect that running gives you, which increases blood flow to all your organs, takes stress off your heart, and lowers blood pressure, running is definitely not as healthy as just eating better. Because eating better can just make up for all that.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Anecdotally, I know a bunch of runners who have been running for years. All of them always run at low intensities and don't run at exceedingly high volumes (ie. they follow novice Hal Higdon training programs), and most of them keep getting injured. The one common denominator is they all get shoes based on the recommendations of the running stores and they pay no attention to their stride. I on the other hand have never been gait tested, I only wear racing flats (ie. my pic), and I do mostly high intensity running and have had minimal injuries over the years.

The worst decision I've ever made was walking into one of those running stores. It took me 6 months fully heal from those 2 pair of shoes. all that new awesome technology in shoes tore my shins and ankles up. I wear the lowest profile shoe I can find with an insole. When in doubt I take them home and go a half mile out and a half mile back, I've returned more shoes over the past 3 years, but I haven't been injured since.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think the OP just wanted a comeback for her conversation, and it became a debate. Awesome entertainment on these forums as always. I hate running. Detest it. I don't know much about it. But it's part of my get healthy regime. I use a Polar FT4 HRM. I have never burned the same amount of calories walking 2 miles, than jogging it. I remember reading that here once and wanted to test it out. If you have a good HRM, try and see for yourself. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.....
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love running. I feel better when i do it. I don't see anything wrong with it. But my chiro said that running is bad for the joints, although i don't have any joint problems. . And i have read in several articles that running "full" marathons is like experiencing mini heart attacks. although, i see plenty of studies that say the opposite. I wish i could have save that article. Maybe i will post it if i find it.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 now and have ran off and on since I was 19. My knees are fine. That said, I have a few simple guidelines that have always worked for me.

I don't run on concrete. It's fine to cross a driveway or something, just no substantial distance. Asphalt is ok.

The best running surface is earth. Can be dirt trail, grassy park - like a soccer field, wet packed sand. Love the beach.

Wear running shoes with a good counter support. This greatly reduces the risk of pronating your ankle. Did that once in my first year of running - ouch.

And since I'm a female, wear a really good running bra. Lately, I've been layering a regular bra under my jog bra. This keeps the ladies in place. I don't want my boobs at my waistline.

When I run, I lose weight. Walking is nice, but I don't get the same relults.
  • martin_chicago
    martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    like someone said what add pressure on your knees is the weight
    i believe both are good
    walking maybe be better idk why
    running adds so much
    with walking you cant really build endurance at least in my opinion

i go by what worked for me and i was 310 pounds in august and all i did was run my *kitten* off and i am now at 246 pounds
    not only did i lose weight but my endurance is crazy on top
    i can last running longer then people in better shape then i am
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Running can be bad for you if you wear inappropriate footwear, are over weight, have dodgy knees, poor technique and what have you but it's far more beneficial from a cardiovascular stand point then walking... even if it does burn roughly the same calories.

My stamina has increased tenfold since I've started running as opposed to just doing long walks
  • bunnzye2
    bunnzye2 Posts: 56
    Options
    congrats on your goals, and have fun with your running! I dream that I'm running, thats how badly I want to run. Run your az off girl! You know how to do what you can to protect yourself from injury, but unfortunately those things happen to SOME people.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It was a zinger. Bury it and move forward, keeping your eyes on your goals. I look forward to hearing about your success story on completing a 5k!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Anecdotally, I know a bunch of runners who have been running for years. All of them always run at low intensities and don't run at exceedingly high volumes (ie. they follow novice Hal Higdon training programs), and most of them keep getting injured. The one common denominator is they all get shoes based on the recommendations of the running stores and they pay no attention to their stride. I on the other hand have never been gait tested, I only wear racing flats (ie. my pic), and I do mostly high intensity running and have had minimal injuries over the years.

The worst decision I've ever made was walking into one of those running stores. It took me 6 months fully heal from those 2 pair of shoes. all that new awesome technology in shoes tore my shins and ankles up. I wear the lowest profile shoe I can find with an insole. When in doubt I take them home and go a half mile out and a half mile back, I've returned more shoes over the past 3 years, but I haven't been injured since.

It's unfortunate that you had this experience. The local store that I refer people to is fantastic. Everyone there is trained in gait analysis. They make recommendations based on your mileage, experience and gait. It sounds to me like you were just sold a piece of technology, as opposed to a solution. :(
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am 44 years old-just completed my first 10k-placed 2nd in my age group. Training for my first Hafl-Marathon (I will be 45) in June. Running is awesome exercise if you love running-but it is very hard on the body. I am starting to feel it in my knees and take joint support to help. Properly fitted shoes are also very important.
  • daddyspry
    Options
    Running is good for you. I am a recovering cardiac patient and I have been told that running is good for you by my cardiologist. I was a runner before my angioplasty and I will be a runner long after. Good luck with your training. Run strong!!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I love running. I feel better when i do it. I don't see anything wrong with it. But my chiro said that running is bad for the joints, although i don't have any joint problems. . And i have read in several articles that running "full" marathons is like experiencing mini heart attacks. although, i see plenty of studies that say the opposite. I wish i could have save that article. Maybe i will post it if i find it.

I read an article recently that totally debunked the "mini heart attack" myth. I can't remember where, but it was medical research from a reputable source. I don't remember the details, unfortunately.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I really enjoy reading everyone's comments, even the snarky ones. If running makes you feel good and helps you set and meet goals then DO IT! As with anything it can have a negative impact but there are also so many positives. I never thought of myself as a runner, but I realized I enjoy it. It's a few minutes a day alone and at peace. The calories the fat blah blah, it's just the run! I also do circuits, yoga, and cycle but I always feel accomplished after a good run. If she feels good after walking, great for her, but she shouldn't try to take your happy! Also, I started in very supportive shoes, had some hip issues. Went to the running store did the video on tread thing and got "great" shoes. My hips didn't really improve and my shoulder started to bother me. I stopped running for awhile. I recently eased back into running and then bought vibrams (barefoot shoes) my stride is better, I speed is up, my body no longer hurts! Nothing is for everyone, that's what makes us awesome, the world would be so boring if we were all the same, but check all your options!
  • LilRedRooster
    Options
    I think the OP just wanted a comeback for her conversation, and it became a debate. Awesome entertainment on these forums as always. I hate running. Detest it. I don't know much about it. But it's part of my get healthy regime. I use a Polar FT4 HRM. I have never burned the same amount of calories walking 2 miles, than jogging it. I remember reading that here once and wanted to test it out. If you have a good HRM, try and see for yourself. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.....

What people mean to say is that you could burn similar calories walking and jogging, if you do it at the same speed. Walking and jogging a mile won't burn similar calories if you're walking at 3mph, and then running at 5mph. It just won't. If you jogged at 3mph, though, the calorie burn would probably be pretty close, because at that pace, your biomechanics would prefer that you walk, which would mean you're going against your stride. That just makes going that slow jogging awkward, because it's not efficient.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

While everyone may disagree- having been someone who took up running, and didn't see any difference in weight loss or body composition, he is not that off base.

I am sure that there are some people who start running and the weight just comes off- great for you. For others that might not be the case.

Also "running" in and of itself will not make you "healthy" running combined with a good diet will help make you healthy.

Yeah, skipping the cardiovasular fitness aspect that running gives you, which increases blood flow to all your organs, takes stress off your heart, and lowers blood pressure, running is definitely not as healthy as just eating better. Because eating better can just make up for all that.

When did I say in that statment that running was not as healthy as just eating better? Pretty sure no where. How about you read the whole thing and see that I was stating that for ME and others just running will not make you any healthier, if you are still eating like *kitten*. Running or rather any cardiovascular exercise combined with a healthy diet will make you healthier overall.

Also pretty sure that any doctor out there would tell you that to make a healthy lifestyle change it includes exercise and DIET.
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have been over weight my entire life and used to suffer from sever depression for 16 or so years. I can't run longer than abotu 3 minutes right now tih out feeling like my chest is going to explode but the 3 minutes I am doing now aposed to the 12 sec i used to be able to do has dramatically changed the way I look at my self and the way I feel about myself. Instead of taking 4 medicines a day just to get out of bed I only take 1 pill a day first thing in the morning and I am so much happier just by changing the amount that I move my body. My knees get a little tired and sore but it is so worth it for all the good that it has done. Look at the chemical changes running/ any exercise does for a person and it is far greater to the good than it is to the bad.
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't have any links on hand, but from what I've read, running is bad for your knees if you have bad knees. That it's not the running that causes the knee problems, and knee problems occur just as much in non-runners as in runners.

There's wayyyyy too many runners in their 50s, 60s and 70s at the races I do for it to be detrimental to everyone's knees.

^^^True!!

I do have bad knees, coupled with starting a zillion other workouts I have given up running. I have completed a 5K and I think for me that took the spark away, and just ended up my knees aching all the time. But this is ONLY MY story! Not everyone's... :-)

However like so many have already said, being obese is far worse than running.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options

What people mean to say is that you could burn similar calories walking and jogging, if you do it at the same speed. Walking and jogging a mile won't burn similar calories if you're walking at 3mph, and then running at 5mph. It just won't. If you jogged at 3mph, though, the calorie burn would probably be pretty close, because at that pace, your biomechanics would prefer that you walk, which would mean you're going against your stride. That just makes going that slow jogging awkward, because it's not efficient.

Actually from what I understand its the distance you travel, not the speed you travel it that matters most when it comes to calorie burn. What some people seem to be confusing is the fact that burn is the end all of getting healthier/fitter