"Running isn't good for you"

Options

Replies

• meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    People tell me that too...I reply that if you do it wrong, wear the wrong shoes, don't train properly then yes, it can be bad for you. Doing it CORRECTLY can have great benefits!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

That's funny. You just described me. Guess what? The weight DID fall off!

haha! fab answer to that stereotypical comment! most of us run because we actually enjoy it! and yes I run so i can eat cake! you should try it! its fun

You're saying this to a man with a chest full of Ben & Jerry's, I think he has his burn under control.

I'm a sometimes runner, but I don't disagree with the point he's trying to make. He's not saying you shouldn't run, he's saying that you don't have to run to eat cake, or ben & jerry's, or the crap in my diet, you just have to burn calories. Some people do it to train, and some people do it because they enjoy it, and some people do it because they just don't realize that there are other options out there that does the same thing for your diet and your heart.

Someone that understands me. =)
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    We may have been designed to run, but we weren't designed to run on pavement and we weren't designed to wear shoes with 1" soles. Knee problems are usually due to heel-striking.

You know, there are some elites who heel-strike. One quick route to injury is majorly messing-around with one's natural stride. I agree that overbuilt shoes are generally a bad idea, but that doesn't mean that everyone should be going out and running barefoot and making drastic changes to their natural biomechanics. Overthinking running is the source of a lot of injuries.

I don't think one can truly find their natural stride without running barefoot. I think its dumb to run barefoot or in 5-fingers on pavement for long distances, but barefoot running as a training tool on a soft surface would be very beneficial to unlearning the bad habits and weakening of the feet developed by wearing overbuilt shoes.

Injury rates for runners are exceedingly high. Most have little to lose by exploring the alternate to doing what their local running store tells them to do.

I'm definitely not against barefoot running as a tool...but I have several friends who jumped into it and suffered injuries from rushing the process. The longer I've run, the less shoe I've required. I started in beefy stability shoes and now alternate between light stability performance trainers and low-drop neutrals.

As for the injury rates among runners, they are very concentrated among new runners--the ones who don't ease themselves into the sport or try to run through pain (runners are a stubborn lot). In 6 years I've had 2 injuries that slowed me down--a cranky right knee when I rushed recovery after a 25k and a grade 2 sprained ankle during a trail relay. The sprain wasn't even specifically a running injury, I just happened to be running when I did it. My BFF had injury upon injury in the first couple of years she was running...because she trains inconsistently, runs through pain, and runs too fast (her "easy" training pace is not much slower than her race pace).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

^^^^ This

It drives me nuts when this myth gets propagated, the other one that goes hand in hand with this is walking is better for fat loss (the old "fat burning" zone myth)
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Here's all you need to know.

Zombies don't care if running is bad for your knees. The fact that you can burn a similar amount of calories walking will not save you from having your flesh chewed up.

Sometimes in life, you just gotta RUN!

Truth.
    Rule 1: Cardio.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    While there are some posters here who say that running caused knee them issues, in most cases it is an improper approach to running that causes problems. Some people have genetic issues or other predispositions to injury, but most people can run safely and enjoy tremendous cardio-vascular and muscular-skeletal benefits. Too many people try it and give up due to a poor approach. Too much too fast is a big one. Many people increase their distance and/or speed without proper build up which puts too much pressure on the entire muscular/skeletal system resulting in pain or injury. I did this myself; I was just too impatient to build up slowly. It also pays to do some good lower body strength training to prepare the legs for additional stress. And I have read that cycling and running are perfect compliments to one another; each strengthens a part of the leg that the other uses but does not strengthen. So I run and cycle on alternating days. Others swim and run. Triathlon training is a great way to mix things up. Warming up, cooling down, and stretching are other crucial pieces. So, running with inadequate preparation and/or poor technique can cause knee issues, but for most people this can be avoided and the benefits of running are extensive.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Eating isn't good -- if you eat the wrong foods.

Walking isn't good for you -- if you walk in front of a bus.

Lifting weights isn't good for you -- if you drop them on your foot.

AWESOME!
  • cdmoore76
    Options
    Sitting on your butt is bad for you. Being active is healthy. I think you should just listen to your body. And I also feel that a well rounded workout is important-strength training, cardio, and stretching. Doing all of the above will limit potential for injury, if done right. Some people are predisposed to injury or just plain old knee pain based on injury from sports when you were younger, weakness in the legs or pelvis or familial history of arthritis. If you find you are one of those people, there are other alternatives like walking or cycleing.
  • wenale
    wenale Posts: 7
    Options
    Yep! Love this article! Thanks for sharing!
  • BilliardsBum
    Options
    I'm an active duty military member and I run a lot. The pain that I got from running was due to bad equipment and poor running form. If you run properly you'll be OK. But food for thought. I swim approximately 90 a day for 5 to 6 days a week, I run 3 days a week and I strength train 3 days a week. I take in about 4000 cal a day. My run time has improve because I've added 4000-5000 meters of swimming per day. My endurance has improved, and my legs don't have any pain from running. My suggestion to you would be alternate running every other day with a low impact exercise such as swimming. If you looking to get started in swimming check out a U.S Masters Swimming program near you. http://www.usms.org.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My knees and shin splints debilitate me when I run. Walking at a fast past I can do forever though.

Saying that, I still run LOL

Run heal - toe to fix shin splints...
    I had same issue.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    We may have been designed to run, but we weren't designed to run on pavement and we weren't designed to wear shoes with 1" soles. Knee problems are usually due to heel-striking.

You know, there are some elites who heel-strike. One quick route to injury is majorly messing-around with one's natural stride. I agree that overbuilt shoes are generally a bad idea, but that doesn't mean that everyone should be going out and running barefoot and making drastic changes to their natural biomechanics. Overthinking running is the source of a lot of injuries.

I don't think one can truly find their natural stride without running barefoot. I think its dumb to run barefoot or in 5-fingers on pavement for long distances, but barefoot running as a training tool on a soft surface would be very beneficial to unlearning the bad habits and weakening of the feet developed by wearing overbuilt shoes.

Injury rates for runners are exceedingly high. Most have little to lose by exploring the alternate to doing what their local running store tells them to do.

I'm definitely not against barefoot running as a tool...but I have several friends who jumped into it and suffered injuries from rushing the process. The longer I've run, the less shoe I've required. I started in beefy stability shoes and now alternate between light stability performance trainers and low-drop neutrals.

As for the injury rates among runners, they are very concentrated among new runners--the ones who don't ease themselves into the sport or try to run through pain (runners are a stubborn lot). In 6 years I've had 2 injuries that slowed me down--a cranky right knee when I rushed recovery after a 25k and a grade 2 sprained ankle during a trail relay. The sprain wasn't even specifically a running injury, I just happened to be running when I did it. My BFF had injury upon injury in the first couple of years she was running...because she trains inconsistently, runs through pain, and runs too fast (her "easy" training pace is not much slower than her race pace).

Anecdotally, I know a bunch of runners who have been running for years. All of them always run at low intensities and don't run at exceedingly high volumes (ie. they follow novice Hal Higdon training programs), and most of them keep getting injured. The one common denominator is they all get shoes based on the recommendations of the running stores and they pay no attention to their stride. I on the other hand have never been gait tested, I only wear racing flats (ie. my pic), and I do mostly high intensity running and have had minimal injuries over the years.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I can see why she would think that as there are lots of tales out there on the horrors of running & she is clearly not educated. I have heard that running can be hard on your joints, it can eat away at your muscles, it can cause heart attacks, etc.

What I would say to that is....

1. Wear proper running shoes that provide your joints with the proper support & drink lots of water to keep your body/muscle/joints hydrated.

2. All strong runners should also incorporate a weight & resistence training routine for their muscles. Core exercises are essential.

3. Eat right, only do what you can, do not overexert yourself.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

While everyone may disagree- having been someone who took up running, and didn't see any difference in weight loss or body composition, he is not that off base.

I am sure that there are some people who start running and the weight just comes off- great for you. For others that might not be the case.

Also "running" in and of itself will not make you "healthy" running combined with a good diet will help make you healthy.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I was told the same thing but I was truly obese when I tried running for the first time. I was just elated that my breathing problems were finally sorted out for once in my life (it turned out to be asthma induced by allergies). So I was excited about starting a strong cardio routine and wanted to try running but I was told that it was a no no for me. Of course, everyone who told me that (including personal trainers, doctors and phisiotherapists) meant that it was a big NO until I lost some weight. I was told to excercise sensibly and never try something that made me feel joint pain. If I felt good with a certain excercise I could keep practising it.
    Now that I lost a lot of weight I can finally run without feeling my knees hurting. I spent 6 months doing other cardio exercises and doing strength training. I'm finally fit to run, at least for some good 5 minutes. I'm still not fit enough to run a marathon :P

Do what you feel it's good for you, and stop as soon as you feel pain. Of course lots of excess weight is worse for your health but running with excess weight can lead to an injury. What's excess weight for you might be different than what it is for me though.
    Good luck!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

While everyone may disagree- having been someone who took up running, and didn't see any difference in weight loss or body composition, he is not that off base.

I am sure that there are some people who start running and the weight just comes off- great for you. For others that might not be the case.

Also "running" in and of itself will not make you "healthy" running combined with a good diet will help make you healthy.

Spoken like a true prodigy my dear. Well said. =)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    So for those who want to know how the shoes they are told to wear might be a cause for their injuries:

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/pronation-control-paradgim-is-starting.html
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Anecdotally, I know a bunch of runners who have been running for years. All of them always run at low intensities and don't run at exceedingly high volumes (ie. they follow novice Hal Higdon training programs), and most of them keep getting injured. The one common denominator is they all get shoes based on the recommendations of the running stores and they pay no attention to their stride. I on the other hand have never been gait tested, I only wear racing flats (ie. my pic), and I do mostly high intensity running and have had minimal injuries over the years.

That's a very small sample group and I don't believe it's indicative of the general running population. Anecdotally, I have seen the opposite of what you describe here. As for you picking your own shoes, I say you just got lucky. ;)
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what I think. As long as you aren't a consistent marathoner I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just invest in really good running shoes.