• smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Give her the finger... and then run off :D

You so cray Tony... :laugh:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

While everyone may disagree- having been someone who took up running, and didn't see any difference in weight loss or body composition, he is not that off base.

I am sure that there are some people who start running and the weight just comes off- great for you. For others that might not be the case.

Also "running" in and of itself will not make you "healthy" running combined with a good diet will help make you healthy.

Yeah, skipping the cardiovasular fitness aspect that running gives you, which increases blood flow to all your organs, takes stress off your heart, and lowers blood pressure, running is definitely not as healthy as just eating better. Because eating better can just make up for all that.

When did I say in that statment that running was not as healthy as just eating better? Pretty sure no where. How about you read the whole thing and see that I was stating that for ME and others just running will not make you any healthier, if you are still eating like *kitten*. Running or rather any cardiovascular exercise combined with a healthy diet will make you healthier overall.

Also pretty sure that any doctor out there would tell you that to make a healthy lifestyle change it includes exercise and DIET.

Oh, you did. Sorry, stand corrected.

Though I argue the point that running won't make you any healthier with a crap diet. Even eating like *kitten* will still increase overall health, because you benefit from the cardiovasular aspect. Working your heart and system is not going to be negated by having hamburgers or ice cream. It won't give you the optimum health results that a great diet would, but I guarantee you, overall health will increase.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Eating isn't good -- if you eat the wrong foods.

Walking isn't good for you -- if you walk in front of a bus.

Lifting weights isn't good for you -- if you drop them on your foot.

LOL
  • LilMermaid6411
    Options
    I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be a runner, so I've given up on it. But my mother, the fittest woman I know, jogs. She has had some issues with her knees because of it (she's also 63 for heaven's sake), but at the suggestion of my uncle, who is an OT and personal trainer, she started doing some knee strengthening exercises. Since then she hasn't had any problems. So sure, she's partially right, but I agree that any exercise is bad for you if you aren't doing it correctly.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Anecdotally, I know a bunch of runners who have been running for years. All of them always run at low intensities and don't run at exceedingly high volumes (ie. they follow novice Hal Higdon training programs), and most of them keep getting injured. The one common denominator is they all get shoes based on the recommendations of the running stores and they pay no attention to their stride. I on the other hand have never been gait tested, I only wear racing flats (ie. my pic), and I do mostly high intensity running and have had minimal injuries over the years.

The worst decision I've ever made was walking into one of those running stores. It took me 6 months fully heal from those 2 pair of shoes. all that new awesome technology in shoes tore my shins and ankles up. I wear the lowest profile shoe I can find with an insole. When in doubt I take them home and go a half mile out and a half mile back, I've returned more shoes over the past 3 years, but I haven't been injured since.

It's unfortunate that you had this experience. The local store that I refer people to is fantastic. Everyone there is trained in gait analysis. They make recommendations based on your mileage, experience and gait. It sounds to me like you were just sold a piece of technology, as opposed to a solution. :(

I've never been tested. But I've seen my trail of footprints in the sand. My feet are straight - no clown feet here.
  • WillowD227
    WillowD227 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BALONEY! :) Unless you have an underlying physical issue, running is great! I run several marathons a year & have found that the more I work on the rest of my body (core, arms, etc), the fewer pains I notice in my knees. Good shoes & all around strenght work wonders in keeping knee pain minimal or away. If you're experiencing knee pain, you may be going too fast or ramping up too quickly. Slow down or add walk breaks & then gradually work back into it.

good luck!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I think the OP just wanted a comeback for her conversation, and it became a debate. Awesome entertainment on these forums as always. I hate running. Detest it. I don't know much about it. But it's part of my get healthy regime. I use a Polar FT4 HRM. I have never burned the same amount of calories walking 2 miles, than jogging it. I remember reading that here once and wanted to test it out. If you have a good HRM, try and see for yourself. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.....

What people mean to say is that you could burn similar calories walking and jogging, if you do it at the same speed. Walking and jogging a mile won't burn similar calories if you're walking at 3mph, and then running at 5mph. It just won't. If you jogged at 3mph, though, the calorie burn would probably be pretty close, because at that pace, your biomechanics would prefer that you walk, which would mean you're going against your stride. That just makes going that slow jogging awkward, because it's not efficient.

Actually from what I understand its the distance you travel, not the speed you travel it that matters most when it comes to calorie burn. What some people seem to be confusing is the fact that burn is the end all of getting healthier/fitter

Its more complicated than these posts would show.

Actually if you run faster than you can walk, then you burn more calories for a given distance.

But at a fast walking speed, you actually burn more calories walking because walking is less efficient than jogging at that speed. In other words, a brisk walk is harder to do than a jog at that pace. But at a slow walking speed, walking becomes more efficient and burns less calories than jogging at the same speed.
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    I get knee problems from running and have finally been to see a sports therapist about it who enlightened me on how to help your knees when running.
    The muscle mass in the thigh directly above my knees is very weak and isn't supporting my knee when I'm running, hence my knee injury.
    So I've got to do squats every day to build up my thigh muscle. Not just down and straight back up. Squat down and hold for as long as you can then come back up and keep repeat 5-10 times. Always do after you've done your run so your muscles are warm.
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    Oh and as for power walking, that damages your shins real bad. So you can't win really!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love running. I feel better when i do it. I don't see anything wrong with it. But my chiro said that running is bad for the joints, although i don't have any joint problems. . And i have read in several articles that running "full" marathons is like experiencing mini heart attacks. although, i see plenty of studies that say the opposite. I wish i could have save that article. Maybe i will post it if i find it.

I read an article recently that totally debunked the "mini heart attack" myth. I can't remember where, but it was medical research from a reputable source. I don't remember the details, unfortunately.

Yea i didn't believe that "mini heart attack" article. I thought it was ridiculous
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    We may have been designed to run, but we weren't designed to run on pavement and we weren't designed to wear shoes with 1" soles. Knee problems are usually due to heel-striking.

Knee problems can arise for many reasons: earlier sports injuries, arthritis, loose ligaments, underdeveloped leg muscles and more.

But those reasons are not generally running itself. Research shows that knee problems related to running actually arise from poorly treated or untreated injuries, genetic tendency toward knee issues, and yes, poor form. Running itself is actually shown to increase joint strength and flexibility. A study of elite marathoners showed that they were no more likely to develop running problems than anyone else, and that people who didn't run were even potentially more likely to have knee, hip, or ankle problems later.

I have bursitis in my hips. Running has made them stronger so that they're not as painful, and it's made the joint stronger so I don't have the loose joint problems I did before.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    While there are some posters here who say that running caused knee them issues, in most cases it is an improper approach to running that causes problems. Some people have genetic issues or other predispositions to injury, but most people can run safely and enjoy tremendous cardio-vascular and muscular-skeletal benefits. Too many people try it and give up due to a poor approach. Too much too fast is a big one. Many people increase their distance and/or speed without proper build up which puts too much pressure on the entire muscular/skeletal system resulting in pain or injury. I did this myself; I was just too impatient to build up slowly. It also pays to do some good lower body strength training to prepare the legs for additional stress. And I have read that cycling and running are perfect compliments to one another; each strengthens a part of the leg that the other uses but does not strengthen. So I run and cycle on alternating days. Others swim and run. Triathlon training is a great way to mix things up. Warming up, cooling down, and stretching are other crucial pieces. So, running with inadequate preparation and/or poor technique can cause knee issues, but for most people this can be avoided and the benefits of running are extensive.

I don't disagree with anything you say, but I have to pull back a little in the opposite direction. Running is, by definition, a high-impact activity. Running DOES have a higher risk of injury associated with it than lower-impact exercises. While running does not cause long-term joint damage, it does beat your legs up pretty good. Running will expose any muscle imbalances or biomechanical shortcomings that you have, and since the average person is not born with perfect biomechnanics, most runners will experience some type of injury if they run long enough (years, not length of run).

The risks of running can be mitigated by appropriate shoes, stretching, strengthening, training, etc, but they are there. The fitness and health benefits of running are also substantial, along with the enjoyment of running itself. In my opinion, the benefits overall outweigh the risks. But, to be honest, the risks are there, even if you do everything "right". I would never tell a healthy person they should not run, but I think it is important to understand that it is not an inherently benign activity either.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here's all you need to know.

Zombies don't care if running is bad for your knees. The fact that you can burn a similar amount of calories walking will not save you from having your flesh chewed up.

Sometimes in life, you just gotta RUN!

HAHAAAAA......Thanks for the laugh!!! THAT is hilarious and i will remember this when I want a walk break!!! :laugh:
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am so sick and tired of hearing this crap! People dont want you to be successful at anything....I'm 39, will be 40 in September...I took up running and am training for my first half marathon in May. After telling someone that I had run 10 miles, they had the audacity to say, "You'll lose your boobs if you run too much." I couldnt believe what I was hearing! I tell them about my success and all I hear is negativity!

All that said, take the necessary precautions to ensure that you are taking care of yourself while running and you'll be fine...don't let anyone drag you down! Make sure to go to an actual running store and get fitted for the right shoe. Make sure if you start feeling pain in your knees, to replace your shoes!

Go for it girl!Dont listen to the negativity!!!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hated hearing that when I was training for a marathon. I started out close to 200lbs and it was hell on my knees, but as I lost weight it got easier. Keep YOUR goals in mind and keep it up. Don't let someone other than your doctor tell you what's good for your body.

Although I love this quote from a college friend of my husband's "you can't do just one exercise, it makes your butt look weird. Change it up a bit."
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing. I've also heard that walking burns more calories...what?

Running is hard on your joints (knees mostly) but with proper foot support, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm friends with a lot of athletes (tri-athletes actually) and NONE of them have had major problems with their knees from running. Personally, I think it makes sense that the more you run, the more you strengthen those joints, because you use them more.

Being overweight is also hard on your joints. And your organs, and your muscles, and your life....I'll take sore knees over heart disease any day.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I hear that all the time, I used to have a lot of pain in my knees, and the were crunchy sounding when I moved them, Now I'm a runner, and I do take glucosamine, but I rarely have pain in my knees now, and they now move smoothly. I'd say do what works for you!
    Also, I got fitted for the right kind of shoes at a good running store, That changed my world as far as running goes!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Anecdotally, I know a bunch of runners who have been running for years. All of them always run at low intensities and don't run at exceedingly high volumes (ie. they follow novice Hal Higdon training programs), and most of them keep getting injured. The one common denominator is they all get shoes based on the recommendations of the running stores and they pay no attention to their stride. I on the other hand have never been gait tested, I only wear racing flats (ie. my pic), and I do mostly high intensity running and have had minimal injuries over the years.

The worst decision I've ever made was walking into one of those running stores. It took me 6 months fully heal from those 2 pair of shoes. all that new awesome technology in shoes tore my shins and ankles up. I wear the lowest profile shoe I can find with an insole. When in doubt I take them home and go a half mile out and a half mile back, I've returned more shoes over the past 3 years, but I haven't been injured since.

It's unfortunate that you had this experience. The local store that I refer people to is fantastic. Everyone there is trained in gait analysis. They make recommendations based on your mileage, experience and gait. It sounds to me like you were just sold a piece of technology, as opposed to a solution. :(

Ditto! The people at my running store are fantastic and extremely knowledgeable! I've had nothing but success with every shoe they've recommended for me, and they've never pushed some fancy shmancy technology on me. Just like personal trainers, doctors, everything, there are bad ones out there and good ones out there that know what they're talking about.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    call it left-wing propaganda, but this story on NPR tells a different tale http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If people are running to train up their endurance for 5k's, 10k's, or whatever marathon they want to do...that's one thing. But alot of times people run because for some reason they think it's the "end all, be all" thing to "fitness". Their diets are trash. They have no clue about energy balance, but they run run run run thinking the fat will magically fat off.

That is what is comical.

Not to mention that I don't think I've seen a runner yet with amazing body composition.

I don't know what kind of amazing you're looking for, 75% bone?

If you're just looking for someone with low body fat % and visible abs, should be pretty easy to find.

I sure wouldn't mind looking like David Goggins....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-560--12944-0,00.html

OK, he's pretty hot!