"You don't need to lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have heard it for the past 6 months!!!

I think there intentions are well meant. In my situation they were use to seeing me at 252 lbs. So with any significant weight loss, it is going to be a shock for them seeing me at a much smaller weight.

I have been told I look anorexic, ridiculous at this weight, I have heard it all. The purpose of me losing weight was .....TO LOSE WEIGHT! BE HEALTHY!

The catty female side of me thinks that if its coming from a female friend or female business acquaintance, there could be some jealousy involved. Who wants to be the "Fat one" out of the group!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I would get it all the time. Now, all I hear is that I need to gain weight. I think I am fine the way I am, but I'd like to gain muscle. The new problem is, even though I eat all the time, they all think I am still trying to lose weight. You will NEVER please everyone...so just please yourself! ♥
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I get that a lot...and those people are apparently blind :)
  • december8teen
    Options
    I get that all the time. Point is, I'm just eating healthier and having smaller portions than them. And then suddenly I'm branded as "Oh my gosh, you're gonna be all bones". "You should fatten up." <--- paraphrased from what people actually said.

I love this society.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    i dont yet but i would just say oh thank you for thinking that and then continue to do what i was doing :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had a friend, a guy. We are both short and we never wanted to get fat. We used to talk a few times a week, about many things, but we often would speak of the need to exercise and watch what we ate and our amazement at some of the excuses people made. He described running around a track and passing an obese woman who was walking and eating doughnuts out of a bag.

It can be helpful to have a friend or two with the same values. He was a very consistent exerciser. I used him as inspiration, although I'll never like exercise.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My daughter has said this to me quite a bit (She is 8). But that's just because I'm not as comfy to lay on anymore.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's a HUGE pet peeve when people say "ohhh you don't have to watch your calories, you're such a little thing"... meanwhile the reason I look this way is BECAUSE I DO count my calories. I work my butt off! They just assume that if you are small you don't have to watch at all. I work for this every day of my life. It's not easy. Yes...some people eat and eat and eat and ARE little. but don't assume that for everyone! hahah!
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I get it from my mother a lot. She is convinced that I looked better when I weighed 170.
    (My mother is also morbidly obese with no plans on changing her life, no matter how much I try to help her)

At 5'1", I did NOT look good at 170!!!
    I'm at 137 right now, but I'd like to lose a bit more.

More than losing, I now have a passion for fitness. She sees me eating healthier/working out and interprets that as me trying to lose weight. No, I'm trying to get fit and not inherit diabetes and die like the rest of my obese family. If I lose weight as a result, then yay. That's a bonus.

It just frustrates me that my own mother doesn't support me in something I'm so passionate about.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Just FYI, 10 lbs for me drops my blood pressure from 160/105ish down to 140/90ish. Big dang difference. And it lowers your risk of getting diabetes up to 50 or 60% (sorry remembering numbers off my head right now) and your risk of heart attack by up to 50%.

Yay! This is inspiring, because my main goal is to get my BP down and get off the meds or at least minimize them. Looks like I'm starting at about 15 pounds more than you and about the same BP, so I have hope that when I lose the first 10-15 I'll start seeing the benefits!
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just laugh it off and be like nope, I'm going to keep going until I"M comfortable..usually its because they are jealous..:grumble:
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Tell 'em to 'eff off. :P
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3" and started at 156...now at 120 and just want to maintain.....I want to get more tone..110 is pretty thin, you may look sickly, but I am not here to judge...Best of luck on your journey!!

I was 110 before (the pic is on my profile page) and I like how I looked. However, I'm 8 years older and have 2 more kids, so I may be happier at a higher weight. We'll see.... :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yup. I went to a bar last weekend to meet some friends I hadn't seen in awhile. My old best guy friend (who is overweight, btw) told me to stop losing weight and go eat two burritos. Like seriously?
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just B1tch slap them!
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's funny because those comments usually come from people who could do with losing a few pounds themselves (obvious jelousy right there) i get it at work and just smile and say how great i feel about losing weight :)

I have gotten it a lot but it has almost never been from another overweight person.

I say: "My goal is a healthy weight for my height. I am not trying to be skinny, I am trying to be healthy."
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Join the group "Not-That-Heavy Girls" and read my post "The Gripe"
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think people say it sometimes thinking it's a compliment, I'm at 206 pounds currently, down 60 pounds since last October and someone said to me the other day, "You look great, so are you still trying to lose?" LOL I was like you're kidding, right? Sometimes I don't think people think before they speak. I replied, "Yeah" and just laughed. I'm 5'4" and have been chastised for having a goal weight of 150. Just wait until they find the 150 is my reevaluation weight! UGW for me is 125, most likely.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You have to understand, most people that are telling you this ( from what I understand) may not understand the fitness part of your goal.
  • jen52906
    jen52906 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have heard this the three times that I have lost weight.....What I can't help but wonder, is.. Where are these people who are so concerned about my health when I am gaining??? They never come up to me and say "You know, I am worried about how much weight you are gaining!!" But, they don't have any issues at all with telling me that they are concerned about too much weight loss???? And, the least I have weighed is about 140 pounds...so I am obviously not starving myself!