"You don't need to lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I had a discussion one time with my doctor about comments like this. His response was that we are a fat society and people aren't used to seeing others at healthy weights, so they look abnormal.

Can't agree more. I've told people my goal weight and they think Im nuts (165-170 for 6ft tall). At 185 im just crossing the line between over weight and "normal" My 39 inch waist is more than it should be. But they think I shouldn't lose any more. They just dont know what normal actually looks like...

SERIOUSLY? Wow. My husband, also 6 ft, got up around 185 a few years ago and decided to skip dessert for a while and drop all the extra weight (*sigh* don't get me started on Some People and their lucky genes...). He got down to about 160, and Hubba Hubba baby! 160 looks good on a six-footer, especially if you've got nice shoulders like my tennis-player guy!

Go for it, dude! Good luck to you!

All depends on your body type. I'm 6'1" and 205 right now with a 33" waist, but a LBM of around 175. My goal is 190-195 and I'll still be overweight on the BMI chart!
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When people comment on my weight and exercise habits (I love exercise! I feel "off" all day when I can't get a workout in), I just tell them that I have to keep up with running so I can catch my 3.5 year old son! He's fast!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Get it. Hate it. Ignore it.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I get responses like that all the time. I used to tell people that I was on a diet and trying to lose some weight, and they just say, "what weight?" and "You dont need to diet". So now I just tell people that I am eating healthier and being more active. Not necessarily on a diet. That has come back with better responses haha! Nothing wrong with trying to be healthier right? Lol
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I get it way too much and I weigh over 200lbs!

I am 5ft 8inch so I look slimmer than I actually am but I'm still nowhere near goal at all! It's so frustrating! People seem to associate people needing to lose weight if you have a really huge belly or are morbidly obese. People don't seem to take into account that you can be smaller than an obese person and still need to lose weight.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with people's frustration at others when they tell you they think you look fine and you know you have a ways to go. However, on the flip side of that, I try to take comments like that as compliments as well, people get used to seeing you as heavy then you aren't as heavy and they think WOW! But, I know I still have 5 pounds to go until I am considered healthy and 15 to go to reach my final goal, and since I have lost 26 pounds total so far, I KNOW I have to keep trucking along no matter what anyone says. So, just keep going until you are happy with yourself and don't be afraid to tell people "no" when they offer you junk food at work, home, where ever. This is your journey and no one can tell you what to do or where to go on it, you hold yourself accountable.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time, especially because my start weight was relatively low (145 at 5'4"). Everyone's like "Oh, you don't need to lose anything" even though at 145 my body fat percentage may have actually been classified as "obese" since I have a small frame.

I appreciate these people are trying to be nice, but it's really discouraging and why I basically stopped telling people I was trying to lose weight. I was down to 130 when I visited home for Christmas and mentioned to my mom I wanted to lose about 10 more pounds and she immediately was like "No, that'll be too thin." This is someone who HAS been supportive of me losing weight. Even now at 125 I think I could still stand to lose 5-10lbs. I'm glad I apparently carry my excess fat well, but I just really don't want this much unnecessary fat on m body anymore.
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get this all of the time from people that i work with and family. I was always between 105- 108 but i have been between 112 -115 for awhile and since ive turned thirty things just do not look that great anymore so i def have areas and toning and a few pounds to take care of my goal is to be 104-107 ish again . But everyone says that you do not need to lose anymore weight , you are bony and enjoy life eat what you want you can ! Ugh i hate this and when im around these people i do tend to eat more for some reason . But when im at home i do really good.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I keep getting the comment "if you keep losing weight you will waste away... or you will disappear". I honestly just laugh it off and say... "thats unlikely, but thanks for the compliment". I am still "over weight" honestly but I think that they are just not used to seeing me this size, so its hard for them to picture me trying to lose more. But I have a goal weight/and the way I want my body to look like in mind and i am not stopping until I get there. Although they may not all understand why I am STILL trying to lose weight right now, they'll get it when I finally reach that goal :smile:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I've never ever heard that said before. . . and if I ever do, I'm gonna say, "Yeah, and who's gonna stop me?"
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Yes my mom always tells me that I am too small...Im like I weigh 170...people say well U dnt look like it...well dammit I AM! Deal with it! Ill lose what I wanna lose!!! IGNORE THEM & do what makes you happy!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Although they may not all understand why I am STILL trying to lose weight right now, they'll get it when I finally reach that goal :smile:

Or they may not. Who cares?
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get this, too. I think the person is trying to be nice. It happened to me soon after I *finally* dropped below my overweight mark. Hehe.

Commenting on someone's weight and/or weight loss is always a tricky subject to bring up.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't know because I can't handle it either. I'm 5'7" and I'm at 140. I really want to just lock time but if I lost some more it would be ok as I have been as low as 112 (I know, to small). I have been working very hard though and I want people to notice but not start by saying, you don't need to lose anymore weight.
  • momof2bonusof1
    Options
    I always say I'm not trying to lose weight, I am just trying to get healthy :) Usually they don't say much more.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    I think I'd be tempted to say, "I'm eating healthy and exercising...my body is finding its ideal shape and weight. Over 30% of people in the U.S. (or wherever you live) are overweight, and we've gotten used to seeing overweight and out-of-shape people as normal."

Or, just smile and ignore them. :-)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have this problem at work. I work with two kinds of women: heavy white chicks and all shapes and sizes of black chicks. The white ladies I swear are jealous as I am already smaller than them...I am also much younger so I feel this is my time and they feel its too late. As for the black ladies, they tell me I am too skinny, but they also tell me its a cultural thing. The skinny ones want to gain weight and the heavy ones are happy. They say black men like a thick girl...curves are sexy, etc. I constantly defend my choice of salad in the staff lounge, explain why I am turning down a donut, defend my sanity for "wanting" to run, etc. Drives me crazy!

I'm not doubting what you've been told, but wanted to say that black culture is not monolithic. Not all black women think that being overweight is attractive. In America, the more educated and economically well off you are the more you tend to be thin (or at least care about being overweight). I don't believe that educated, upper middle class and higher black women are that different from any other women.
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329
    Options
    I do get that, quite often. I tend to smile and then do what I want. But I also occasionally point out that I'm being healthy. I don't always update those people on my goals and accomplishments.

I couldn't have said it any better.
  • always4vin
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I tell them I think I look good with clothes on, I want to look good with my clothes off. They are two different kinds of "looking good". That shuts them right up.

You say it nicer than I do! I always say...you don't have to see me naked! LOL
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know, right? I think when some (not all) people say this, women in particular, they are really saying "If you lose anymore weight I am seriously going to consider you a threat".

^this