Options

Replies

• Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    this is true
  • december8teen
    Options
    It's a HUGE pet peeve when people say "ohhh you don't have to watch your calories, you're such a little thing"... meanwhile the reason I look this way is BECAUSE I DO count my calories. I work my butt off! They just assume that if you are small you don't have to watch at all. I work for this every day of my life. It's not easy. Yes...some people eat and eat and eat and ARE little. but don't assume that for everyone! hahah!

Precisely. I'm not naturally-thin. I work hard to get to where I am today, and people just assume that because I am not fat I have that winning pass to eat all the chips and cakes as I like.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I know, right? I think when some (not all) people say this, women in particular, they are really saying "If you lose anymore weight I am seriously going to consider you a threat".

Love this, and feel it is true! I get it from people a work all the time. Comments like hey there little miss skinny butt. (being polite, that's not how they say it) and a few others like Are you feeling OK? Is anything wrong? Blah, blah, blah.

Hubby says I am fine and don't need to lose that last 5 or so. I feel like I could safely lose another 10 but not right now. Just want to maintain and make sure it sticks this time around.

As for now...I'm healthy...I'm happy. :heart:
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I recently had a post asking for what I should improve on and got tons of comments about how I just wanted to be told I was too skinny, I probably had an eating disorder, I need to gain a bunch of weight, saying I look ill, etc. I find this to just be rude. I've been eating healthy and working out about 4 times a week and want to know if I should focus more on weights or cardio and which body part to add muscle to. That's all I was asking. So I address their comments by telling them I'm healthy and have a small body frame and am trying to tone up. But I still get rude comments
  • KarenMorr
    Options
    I get that all the time. I am 5'9 and was 185 lbs. That was too much for me. After a year of intense working out, I'm 155 lbs. and happy where I am. People tell me I'm too skinny and need to gain weight. Very frustrating because I worked so hard to lose it. I guess they're just used to seeing me at a heavier weight. Better get used to the thinner me because she's not going anywhere!
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I get this all.the.time. I have been overweight my WHOLE life (seriously, I was like 11 lbs when I was born and was over 200 by the time I got to high school, 300 by the time I hit 20). Now that I am a "normal" weight everyone is freaking out and yelling about how I am too skinny! HELLO, I am a size 8, in what world is that "too thin"? And forget it if I say I am still trying to lose a few lbs (I would like to see 150 on the scale, although I won't cry if I never get there) it sends them into fits and they threaten to have an intervention for my eating disorder. People are crazy.
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's funny because those comments usually come from people who could do with losing a few pounds themselves (obvious jelousy right there) i get it at work and just smile and say how great i feel about losing weight :)

this is a true statement,,
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I wish people, especially co-workers, would just mind their own bidness!!!! Keep doing what your doing! Like me for example, I'm short (5'0). I could get under 100 lbs if I wanted to and still be in normal weight range. Sometimes taller women can't comprehend that. They would rather criticize you and try to make you feel bad. I've been having real issues with this topic in my life!!!!

Yeah, what she said! I'm 4'11 so I get all sorts of comments, "your already so tiny" "you'll blow away in the wind" "you didn't need to lose anything to start with" . So I don't tell anyone what I'm doing anymore. I just share on here.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    Tell them that they may think YOU don't need to lose what but you think that THEY really do.

That'll get them off your back :wink:
    :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Jeeenjohnson19
    Jeeenjohnson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like the comment "you don't need to lose anymore weight" I do however like a comment I got the other day "If you keep shrinking you'll be invisible" kind of funny but i enjoyed it.

My friend told my husband that she thinks I have body dysmorphic disorder because She thinks I look small enough. That one made me mad. I found it pretty rude for her to comment like that.

That's really rude! From your pictures you look great! You can really see your transformation and look nothing but healthy to me :)
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ok I admit I've said this to a friend before, but only when she beats herself up (in response to negative comments she makes about her still being "fat" or "gross")... I have no idea how else to respond to her when she brings it up this way?

Otherwise, if someone is genuinely happy with where they're headed I'd never try and bring them down. We all have different images of what an ideal body shape is, so to each their own.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had a discussion one time with my doctor about comments like this. His response was that we are a fat society and people aren't used to seeing others at healthy weights, so they look abnormal.

Can't agree more. I've told people my goal weight and they think Im nuts (165-170 for 6ft tall). At 185 im just crossing the line between over weight and "normal" My 39 inch waist is more than it should be. But they think I shouldn't lose any more. They just dont know what normal actually looks like...

Exactly. I've read articles saying that one reason we have an obesity problem is that many people no longer know what a healthy weight is. I live in a city that is considered "thin," so I do actually see a fair number of slim people at all ages. That probably does help.

Some people are also probably envious.

But why do people discuss their weight with acquaintances? It's a personal matter. I guess it's hard if you've been successful and people notice. In the case of the OP, if she feels she needs to respond, maybe she should say that she knows from her past weight history that she is not yet at her optimal weight and leave it at that.

I've had my wife's, sister in law's, grandmother randomly pinch me around the waist after noticing how much weight i had lost to apparently see how much was still there. People will get nosey about your weight loss, people also have opinions. I think people have a need to say something as its perceived that men are supposed to be bigger. That and my dieiting is very obvious as i dont drink alcohol, dont eat appetizers, and get very finicky about what and where i eat. It causes issues with friends who might consider my eating/drinking habits boring or a nuisance.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's funny because those comments usually come from people who could do with losing a few pounds themselves (obvious jelousy right there) i get it at work and just smile and say how great i feel about losing weight :)

^^ This. The only people who tell me to stop where I am are people who are much more overweight than I am and are too lazy to lose weight themselves. All my thinner friends are the ones who tell me they are proud and cheer me on.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My daughter has said this to me quite a bit (She is 8). But that's just because I'm not as comfy to lay on anymore.

Awwwww :)
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    A few weeks ago, four different people confronted me and said this. I'm not too thin, but 147 lbs at 5'9 (underweight is another 20 pounds down). I eat well. I have muscles.

The culprit was not weight loss, but the that fact that I hadn't bought smaller clothes yet. The old clothing just hung off of me, creating that "skin and bones" look. I updated my wardrobe when I could do so, and just like that, no more "too skinny" comments.

Most people feel safe commenting about someone who looks underweight because (in this culture) it's considered a compliment. I just blow it off. :-)
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Join the group "Not-That-Heavy Girls" and read my post "The Gripe"

Can you send me an invite or link? Not sure how to join groups..
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly an awkward was of telling you that you look good (which you do). I would just not tell them your specific weight goals, as a lot of people have a vision in their head of what a certain weight looks like, and usually it's not accurate. If conversation dictates that you mention that you're still losing, do what someone else said about saying you enjoy working out, or just say, "I have a few pounds to go." or such.

Though I do love the "I want to look good naked" response. LOL
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I just take it as a complement and say thank you. Most of the time it is meant that way and when it is back handed in nature taking it as a complement tends to piss those people off and shut them up :laugh:
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I get that too. Although I never tell people that I'm "dieting", sometimes they will notice and comment if I order from a restaurant's "light" menu.

People all around us are really fat, overweight, or obese, whatever word you like. Most often the people that tell me that I don't need to lose weight are those that are overweight themselves. I think most don't know what a healthy weight is, now what it looks like.

Are those comments jealousy? that I am doing something that my fat friends aren't doing?

I plan to stop at around 145 and see how I feel. My doctor would like me at 135, which is exactly in the middle (or "ideal") of my BMI range.

But to answer your question, I just say 'thank you' and move on to another subject!

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • mommamisty823
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe they're thinking that it makes them look bad, or lazy if you're trying to better yourself while they're not doing anything about being unhappy with the way that they are.