Starving on Keto!

Options

Replies

• shanegagiano
    Options
    There is your first mistake. The keto diet is NOT high protein!

No wonder you're hungry all the time. Excess protein will undergo Gluconeogenesis, which releases glucose and results in an insulin spike! An insulin spike will make you crave more sugar 2 hours later a.k.a Hypoglycemia (a.k.a hungry even after eating ONLY meat and veggies)

Also, research keto-flu.

Secondly, once you're keto-adapted you could/should eat every 12 hours (you will not get hungry, because your insulin stays low CONSISTENTLY)

Lastly, ketones in your urine = acetone ... a by product of the citric acid cycle. Acetone can be detected while testing with ketostix. Acetoacetate and Beta-Hydroxybutyrate can NOT be detected in the urine. In fact, the more keto-adapted you are, the less Acetone you'll excrete through the breath and/or urine.

In short: Avoid the STUPID ketostix.

I've been keto-adapted for 6 years now, it's NOT a diet, it's a lifestyle!

If you want to use the ketogenic diet (80% FAT, 15% PROTEIN, 5% NET-CARB) to "lose weight" and go back to the TOXIC American/Global diet, once you reach your goal. You should pack-up your efforts right now. It's not for you.

BUT if it is, then I suggest you check out this website >> RULED.ME ... it's the best keto-site I've ever seen!

Good luck friend.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm really tired of reading threads only to realize they're YEARS old. :grumble:
  • midasstar588
    midasstar588 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Marla64 wrote: »
    Okay-- I'm sorry, I'll chime in here, although I almost never, ever come to these threads.

I have to ask-- what in the world are you thinking? You're looking for ketones in your urine as a GOOD thing? My daughter is a juvenile diabetic, and was in the hospital near death due to diabetic keto-acidosis-- in short, ketones in her urine. Her body couldn't burn sugar, so it turned to fat and muscle to survive.

When your body burns fat and muscle for fuel instead of sugar LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO, the byproducts are toxic-- ketones. Any person with any sense will tell you that's NOT A GOOD THING.

You came here for advice. I advise you to abandon this nonsense and eat a sensible freaking diet. 1200 calories in and of itself isn't so bad. But for heaven's sake, not to mention YOUR BODY'S sake, please eat sensibly.

She's in nutritional ketosis NOT Ketoacidosis. 2 completely different things
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It isn't sustainable long term or healthy. Simply eat what you normally would, but less of it. Weigh your portions and log your calories to track your food. And plan your day of food in advance. I hate all fad diets and I have never seen anyone successfully keep weight off with one, so why bother with them
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Double necro thread. Amazing.

I was looking through to see where it got bumped. Interesting to see it pulled forward after 2 years twice.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto in the past and did well on it and was never hungry. But I was instructed to only count carbs rather than calories. If you count calories you won't be getting enough food. For instance a whole chicken breast is like zero carbs, but calories may show 260 calories. So you really do need to eat more. I read earlier that someone was going to friend you to see what they eat, you should do that. You shouldn't be hungry on keto
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I just made my diary public. I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day but I usually go over. Also I'm 5'1" and 122 lbs if that helps anything.

The keto diet is a high-protein, extremely low-carb diet that requires you to eat every 2.5-3 hours. After depriving yourself dramatically of carbs in the first stage, your body goes into ketosis and ketones are detectable by strips in your urine. Then, supposedly, fat burns and muscle is not lost because you're eating so much protein.

no keto is not high protein or extremely low carb and you dont have to eat every 2.5-3 hrs. its low carb IE:50 net grams(which means for some it can be 60+ grams of carbs but minus the fiber which gives you net grams) or less and high fat. high protein from what I understand can knock a person out of keto.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I was looking through to see where it got bumped. Interesting to see it pulled forward after 2 years twice.
    There should be a newbie thread bump award. Always newbies resurrecting zombie threads. :/

They get me every time because I rarely look at the date and I've commented on a few now. Haven't resurrected one yet but there's still time.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    There should be a newbie thread bump award. Always newbies resurrecting zombie threads. :/

They get me every time because I rarely look at the date and I've commented on a few now. Haven't resurrected one yet but there's still time.

The only time I've pulled up really old threads is through using the search function. On the plus side, it demonstrates that a newbie figured out the search function, which is cool. But some of the bumps leave me pondering "what were they actually searching for to come across this?" Not the case here, it seems that the people bumping were looking for why one might be hungry on keto, but some have been really odd.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Marll wrote: »
    Okay-- I'm sorry, I'll chime in here, although I almost never, ever come to these threads.

I have to ask-- what in the world are you thinking? You're looking for ketones in your urine as a GOOD thing? My daughter is a juvenile diabetic, and was in the hospital near death due to diabetic keto-acidosis-- in short, ketones in her urine. Her body couldn't burn sugar, so it turned to fat and muscle to survive.

When your body burns fat and muscle for fuel instead of sugar LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO, the byproducts are toxic-- ketones. Any person with any sense will tell you that's NOT A GOOD THING.

You came here for advice. I advise you to abandon this nonsense and eat a sensible freaking diet. 1200 calories in and of itself isn't so bad. But for heaven's sake, not to mention YOUR BODY'S sake, please eat sensibly.

WRONG. Go back to the doctor and get the correct explanation. Ketosis/lipolysis and ketoacidosis are two completely different metabolic processes which share only the same by-product and unfortunately similar names. The state of ketoacidosis is due to wildly high blood sugar and a failed pancreas, whereas ketosis is the result of the body manufacturing glucose to prevent low blood sugar.

So to be clear: you simply cannot get into a state of ketoacidosis by eating low-carb. In fact, even Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics cannot enter into a ketoacidic state by eating low-carb. You can only get into that state by consuming too much high-glycemic food and producing little to no insulin to stabilize this out-of-control-high blood sugar (or by being so insulin-resistant that the insulin does no good... and low-carb eating fixes insulin resistance).

umm yes if you have diabetes that is not well controlled with a keto diet you can go into ketoacidosis, but its rare.there is a few studies out there,there was one on ncbi.nlm.nih.gov that stated that keto is not for those who dont have properly controlled diabetes,who are alcoholic and some other issue.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    temp666777 wrote: »
    If you're interested in "ketogenic" "diets" -- you need lots of real scientific information.

I suggest you read the long technical book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

Otherwise it is just a whole lot of bumbling around ... it's difficult to get solid, factual information from internet sound bites. Enjoy the book!

It's interesting that all night while sleeping we all live ............ ketogenically. Arg!

gary taubes is not a reputable source.he has no medical/scientific background.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey necro thread ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

lol I see that now thanks.
  • sharynmgeorge66
    sharynmgeorge66 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    When I first started the ketogenic diet about 2 months ago, I groaned at the thought of having to eat another snack/meal AGAIN. I was never hungry. Now, for the past month or so, I'm ridiculously hungry. Hungry in my throat and in my stomach and mouth. I don't want to go over my calorie goal, but it is so uncomfortable feeling this empty all the time! Drinking tea or eating raw vegetables like celery and broccoli make me hungrier, and meat doesn't really help either. What am I doing wrong?

for a ketogenic diet...don't worry about your calories...you need to concentrate on your macros as they determine how to eat healthy and maintain or lose weight....make sure the you have a dietary deficit of carbs 20-30 gram limit, normally that is 5%-7% of your food intake; protein is the next important factor as you do not want to lose muscle mass as you lose weight.. that consists of 15%-30% of your daily food intake; your fat intake should be around 60%-75% of your dietary intake ( you can get more fats by eating things like avacados, nuts, coconut oil..etc)

If you need help finding your true macros...here is a link for a great keto calculator:http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy

hope this helps you find your keto happy place
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    LOL. Keto people are so brain-starved for glucose that they don't even notice when they are talking to ghosts. Original post is 5 years old. :D

lol I dont do keto but didnt read the time stamps and the bottom lol that will teach me to be more careful
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I've been on keto in the past and did well on it and was never hungry. But I was instructed to only count carbs rather than calories. If you count calories you won't be getting enough food. For instance a whole chicken breast is like zero carbs, but calories may show 260 calories. So you really do need to eat more. I read earlier that someone was going to friend you to see what they eat, you should do that. You shouldn't be hungry on keto

Well, since this is a necro thread that refuses to die again...

Not to put too fine a point on things, that's a pretty blanket statement. I'd be starving on keto. I don't find fat to be the least bit satiating.