I am giving up

Options

Replies

• BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Patience, young grasshoppah...
    You must fix your mind to succeed.
    Fix your mind and you will then be able to fix your body.
    You have already made progress: 5 pounds gone.
    We all plateau at some point.
    Fix your mind, and then you can fix your body.
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's all about patience and self control.
    I wake up every morning, reminding my self that I need to get healthier and lose weight.
    Every morning I wake up thinking candy and chips are the devil, but I can be a little devilish in moderation.
    I remind myself of why I want to lose weight and all the amazing stuff I can do better
    Remind yourself every morning, if I eat fruit and veggies and work out (take the dog for a walk/dance around while doing chores), next week I'll be better off..even if I lose .1pounds..I'm farther than I was..
    Every little bit helps.

When I can jog straight for more than a half mile.
    All the looks I'll get from men or women and knowing that they think "look at that hottie!"
    I can fit into my old clothes..
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Not a good mind set dear.
    I know that we all have the "I can't do this times" though.

Don't keep the foods that tempt you in your house! = that was one of my biggest means of failure. Buying junk at the store, not even thinking about the things you eat until after you've eaten them, using excuses like "it's just not meant for me" and what not...

you cant expect to lose weight and not change your eating habits. it's not all about losing weight anymore-eat healthy for a longer life...not just to be skinny-this also keeps you from wanting to eat the bad things that you can keep small portions of.

just some tips....it kills me to see this kind of stuff because eventually you'll stop exercising also because if you're giving up at even trying to eat better you'll ask "why even workout anymore"...it's a vicious cycle---you really shouldn't wait for a wake-up call like a heart attack, emergency surgery, or realizing you're 600lbs like the people on the TLC show..because you might not get the chance to change it...do you really want to leave your loved ones behind because you couldn't - I'm not trying to put you down because everyone has once felt like this-but if you're not seeing results it's because you're not changing your eating habits. please keep trying for yourself and your family!
  • chelsey202
    chelsey202 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    IS YOUR CAPS LOCK "STUCK" AS WELL? OR DID YOU MEAN EVERYTHING TO COME ACROSS AS YELLING?

but seriously, it'd be easier to comment if your diary was open. Also, I don't suppose there's any chance you took beginning measurements to compare to now? It's completely possible not to lose a pound yet lose inches.

And I sincerely hope you think twice about "giving up". After all, that 's probably what got you (and many of us) here in the first place, and you've already taken the very difficult step of realizing it and attempting to make a difference. And if you cared enough to post this, I'm willing to bet you wanted (even subconsciously) encouragement to stay and keep trying.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I started losing weight with a friend of mine. I got down about 25 lbs and quit trying. She went on to lose over 100. She lost it a year before me. I just wasn't ready at that point. You have to get it in your head that you're going to do it. That year she was losing weight I kept doing some walking but wasn't really trying that hard. She was determined. It took me another year before I got that determination. I wish I'd done it years ago. Keep trying. You'll feel so much better. I feel 30 years younger. : )

Don't let the years go by wishing and thinking about it. I feel like a large chuck was taken out of my life because I never had the energy to do the things I wanted to. Get out there and move. Walking was good for me. Running is better for me now. : ) I have more energy than my kids and I love running around with my grandkids. They did the last 5K run with me and they're 4 and 6.

Think about what you're missing out on because you're uncomfortable... You buy bigger clothes but want the smaller cute ones. You don't want to be the biggest person in the room. You don't have any energy so you sit at the computer or watch TV when you could be out having fun. Think about enjoying the time with your children because you'll have so much more energy. I wish I felt this good when my kids were little!

It takes work and determination and I know you have that. Make your mind up to do it. If you mess up, just start over. The main thing is to get active.

Don't just coast through life like I was. GET OUT THERE and enjoy it. Remember what you're working towards. Remember this is the body you are going to have for the rest of your life. You can lose the weight now... over the next year or two... or lose it years later (or never) and feel like you missed out on so much.

YOU CAN DO IT! LOVE YOURSELF YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!
  • Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    Options
    Do me a favour and look up Metabolic Jumpstart www.metabolicjumpstart.com
    Do not try crash/fad diets..

Give this a shot.. Its not a diet but a weigh of living and I can guarantee it will help you..
    There is great online support and you don't feel like you are being starved.. if anything you will struggle to eat the amounts that you need to!

Don't give up!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT DO THIS I AM GIVING UP. I JUST CANT SEEM TO STOP EATING THE THINGS I AM EATING I WAS TOLD BY MY DOCTOR NOT TO CUT ANYTHING OUT BUT TO EAT SMALLER PORTIONS AND MY WEIGHT IS STILL NOT DROPPING. I DO WORKOUT 5 DAYS A WEEK BUT OVER THE LAST WEEK I AM REALLY NOT MOTIVATED. I WANT TO TRY EVERY FAD OUT THERE AND THATS NOT GOOD. I HEAR ABOUT 1 THING AND I WANT THE NEXT I WANT TO SEE MY WEIGHT JUST DROP AND ITS NOT HAPPENING. I THOUGHT I WAS DOING REALLY GOOD BUT I AM FAILING. MY FRIENDS ON HERE ARE LOSING WEIGHT AND IM STUCK SOOOOO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO JUST NOT FEELING IT RIGHT NOW

One day it'll hit you.
    Just like hopefully one day you'll hit the caps lock.

Best of luck.
  • RodandTonda
    Options
    Don't give up on what you are doing. I have been having a lot of trouble as well dropping pounds. I watch what I eat but I also fall down every now and then. I agree with you taking the fad train probably is not the best thing to do,I have talked with a couple of dietitians about proper diet and they both have said to eat more plant based stuff, very hard for me, I am a big meat eater. For me it has to be just finding the right combination of what I am doing to make it work. I am using P90X for my work out routine But I do not get in the everyday wor outs like I need to but I am seeing some changes. Stay with it, and stay away from the scale for a while, you may not be dropping a lot of weight right now becasue you are building muscle.
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: Non - Scale Victories (NSV) - care to share?

Check out this topic under "Success Stories"....

These NSVs are so motivating.... I could comment on every one! Please check them out and find ways to feel successful along your journey...

Best of Luck!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    She deactivated her account.
  • momof377
    momof377 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. Good things come with time. Just making little changes will help you feel better and your body will start adjusting and losing weight. Just keep the faith in yourself - you can do it!! And we are here to help you along the way as we are all trying to achieve the same goals.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do not quit!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can give up if you want to. But I'm sure you don't want to. Otherwise you wouldn't feel so bad about giving up.

I think it's somewhat ironic to type 'I am giving up' in a Motivation and Support thread. Unless you're trying to get other people to motivate you. Which will not work. True motivation comes from inside of you.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'll put it like this; if you give up, then it shows me that you never has much dedication to begin with. Fact is, if you're lowering your portions you would be loosing weight. So obviously, you're not doing what you're saying, or you "smaller" portions are made of unhealthy foods or you're just eating less than normal but still too much. Either way, YOU are doing something wrong. I am sorry, but I find you pathetic... though I do hope that you can re-evaluate your actions and change your life style. That 'giving up' attitude is that same attitude that got you in the mess you're currently in. If you choose to be overweight and unhealthy, if you give up on being the best you can be, then LOLYOUDUMB.

Again... this is the "motivation and & support" section.. not the "berate and scold" section..

I think you meant "berate and & scold" section :P

Just remember that what motivates one person can completely demoralise another. And that can be said about being positive OR negative when it comes to supporting.
    I know heaps of people that respond positively to an overly negative comment like "do you want to get fat by eating that?! that's weak!". Other people need the "awww, pretty pretty please don't give up!" responses.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so folks can see what you are doing and offer advice. Never give up, focus on getting healthier. Patience and slow going is the key. Fast results never last. That dang scale will get stuck, move up and move down. The overall movement will eventually go down.

From an old hand here 1) diets don't work 2) start with smaller portions of what you currently eat 3) migrate to healthier foods a few changes at a time. 4) lots of water 5) plenty of physical activity/exercise 6) take your measurements and log them in every other week (this helps you see how the body is changing) 7) weigh in once a week.

You will never stick to a drastic sudden change in your eating habits, you must make a gradual change to a more healthy lifestyle. Otherwise it is all for naught. Been there, tried many diets. Hang in there.

aVERY IMPORTANT PS: By portion control - you must measure and weigh your food!!!!! Every bite!!!!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to see some of these posts. She came here for help and now her account is deactivated. She might not have been ready right now but how do we know? We all went though that. Tried and gave up and tried again... It just takes time to get the right mindset. Everyone of you know how hard it is to lose weight and to get it in your head that you are really going to do it... Anyway, I hope she keeps trying.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    She deactivated her account.
    Too bad!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I guess I should give up too. I'm up a pound! Then again my eating has gotten "cleaner", we're busting our hineys at the gym 5 times a week and low and behold, my jeans are cutting off circulation anymore.

The scale is a tricky little bugger. People give up too soon with such a superficial number when it's all the rest of the benefits that really count.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't want to come here and outstory the OP, but I'd been on a calorie-controlled diet for over 2 years and haven't lost a pound. I initially lost weight, but hit one mother of a plateau. My 170 days of logging on MFP has granted me a total of 5 lbs of weight loss, and that's been through eliminating foods (intolerances) that cause water retention and bloating.

Otherwise, I have only lost water weight in the last 2 years, nothing more. And I've already been to the doctor and have had a myriad of tests. He can't find the source of the problem, and neither can I.

I also exercise 6 days a week, do strength-training, and have adjusted my calories up and down so many times, it would make your head spin. But I don't lose, and I'm afraid I never will.

But I still haven't given up.
  • acenglish23
    acenglish23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whole foods, a lot of water, continuing your exercising and a positive attitude will take you to where you want to be. I really wish the best for you.