embarressed of S.O.

Options

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    My SO is embarrassed about my weight. Also, about my "redneck ways", the jokes I tell, my haircut, the dirt on my jeans (after working all day in the yard), about tyhe fact that I am not social enough to her friends, about the fact that I am too social with some of her friends, that I drink beer at parties...that I do not drink at some parties, that I speak my mind, or because I don't speak my mind. The list goes on and on. I guess I am just a huge embarrassment regardless of what I do.
    Hmm....and you are happy in this relationship??

I think the issue is bringing weight up in public. Introducing someone as "fat but nice" is totally not needed. Saying something privately to the person is a bit different, I think.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My SO is embarrassed about my weight. Also, about my "redneck ways", the jokes I tell, my haircut, the dirt on my jeans (after working all day in the yard), about tyhe fact that I am not social enough to her friends, about the fact that I am too social with some of her friends, that I drink beer at parties...that I do not drink at some parties, that I speak my mind, or because I don't speak my mind. The list goes on and on. I guess I am just a huge embarrassment regardless of what I do.
    Hmm....and you are happy in this relationship??

I think the issue is bringing weight up in public. Introducing someone as "fat but nice" is totally not needed. Saying something privately to the person is a bit different, I think.

Stuck in this relationship is more the case. And there is always hope that tomorrow will be better.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Have you given thought that his obese problem may have something to do with how you feel about him? Their egos are quite a big part of their makeups. As a suggestion, try fixing him a healthy low cal meal twice a week and when he comes out with"what's this",
    tell him "we are eating healthy today" and then look him straight in his face and say, "It's because I love you". Works for me.
  • Changing__Christina
    Options
    I have ducked out when seeing an ex....but I was fat then and it was about me, not someone I was with! Now if I see an ex, I make it a point to go say hello. I enjoy letting them know how great I look!

EVEN IF I CAN'T SPELL LETICE, or LETTICE, or LETTACEor LETACE....how the F*c% can't you spell LETTUCE???
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That's awful, my hubs has put on some weight but I would never do that
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    That's breakup material right there. Hell, if my boyfriend did it to me, it might even be jumping-off-a-bridge material. One of the best parts about having an SO is having a constant source of support and backup!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for her S.O.. Her S.O. should find someone better.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    That's breakup material right there. Hell, if my boyfriend did it to me, it might even be jumping-off-a-bridge material. One of the best parts about having an SO is having a constant source of support and backup!

Yeah...I am doing this shit all wrong....
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was once embarrassed by a guy I was dating because he was too skinny. I actually saw people making comments behind his back that suggested they thought he was a coke head. Like I didn't know what it meant when they put one finger over one nostril, sniffed then they both started laughing.

It goes both ways.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    her SO should find someone better. someone who appreciates a beautiful individual with a full figure.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    My husband is kicking 40 in the *kitten* and is still crazy hot. I worry he will be embarrassed by me when we run into someone he knows that I have not met or have not seen for a few years. I feel really uncomfortable when this happens because I want him to be proud of me. This is not based on anything he has said. He has never and would never say anything about my weight and is always very complimentary but I do own a mirror and have become really insecure since gaining weight.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    He deserves better than her. How awful to have the person you care about be embarassed about you. =(
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    That is completely just sad. Sometimes I think my ex-boyfriend was embarrassed of how I looked when I gained weight. At festival when I was at my fittest, he would show me off proudly but when I gained over 50 pounds, he would ask me to stay in the car if he needed to go inside somewhere, etc. I wasn't so sure if it was because of the fact I let myself go or what. But I would never be embarassed on anyone I am with.

When you are with that person, than you should be able to embrace and care for that person no matter what.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was once embarrassed by a guy I was dating because he was too skinny. I actually saw people making comments behind his back that suggested they thought he was a coke head. Like I didn't know what it meant when they put one finger over one nostril, sniffed then they both started laughing.

It goes both ways.

I'm not sure why that would leave you embarrassed BY him, rather than angry FOR him. If I saw people mocking my husband I wouldn't be embarrassed by my husband, but he might end up embarrassed by me with the choice words that would be directed at the offensive parties.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would never do that to my husband. Not ever. Not even if he gained 300 lbs.

If he did that to me, I'd feel horrible.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Very shallow IMO! My bf is overweight but I want to show him off to the world. I love him for who/what he is.

The only time I have avoided bringing my SO anywhere was when I was in a toxic relationship and didn't want to deal with his ways if I happen to say or do the wrong thing.

ETA: I would be single if I ever found out my bf did this to me.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

It goes both ways.

I'm not sure why that would leave you embarrassed BY him, rather than angry FOR him. If I saw people mocking my husband I wouldn't be embarrassed by my husband, but he might end up embarrassed by me with the choice words that would be directed at the offensive parties.

I was finding myself not attracted to how skinny he was, so when I saw people making fun of him, it reaffirmed me thinking that he was indeed just too skinny. I wasn't angry at those people. The boy WAS ridiculously skinny.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    i've been embarrassed about a SO being disgustingly drunk and obnoxious in public, but never because he was overweight....wow.
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I would hide myself, take off down an isle in the store or run to the bathroom, whenever my husband and I were out somewhere and he wanted to introduce me to someone. I was embarrassed for myself and how I'd let myself go, never embarrassed of his appearance. :)
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've never been embarassed of my husband when he gained weight. Actually, when he started gaining weight I was happy because he was only 98lbs (at age 19) when I met him. Then he gained a little too much, but so did I. Now we are both working to get it off. He's doing much better than me right now, so I'm happy to show him off! :wink: