Should I Become a Vegan?

Options

Replies

• JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was a Vegetarian for over a year and Vegan for 6 months of that.

One day I was out with my BF and a friend. We went out for ribs. I became a Vegetarian that day after seeing the huge pile of bones in the middle of the table. It grossed me out and I couldn't even smell meat after that without getting sick. Then I started doing research. After that I became Vegan for ethical reasons.

It was the hardest 6 months of my life. I ended up divorced. I believe that was part of it. He resented me because of it. He would cook greasy sausages without a lid and expect me to clean up the grease off the floor, etc. But that's another story.

Being Vegan is healthy as long as you keep your diet balanced.

Oh, and one day I craved a steak and went to Outback. It was over. Poor cow!
  • VeganJP
    VeganJP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well...parden me for pointing out that I've read a lot of "I thinks" in this thread. Those that claim meat is necessary for a balanced diet are full of, well, blarney! They are not taking all the hormones and antibiotics used in the meat industry, nor the fact that many of the so called "organic" raised animals are still sent to the same slaughterhouses into account. Additionally, you would not believe the junk that is contained in animal feed. There is excellent, and scientifically cited, research in support of a vegan diet and would recommend you do your own research before making a decision. If you're up for some reading, I recommend The China Study. Further, I would recommend the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine site (www.pcrm.org) for a plethora of completed research.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    Ive been vegan and vegetarian and now I try to moderate the animal products I eat. While i was strict vegan, I don think I researched enough on how to supplement nutrients and therefore I didnt lose any weight. I felt great at the start, it was a great cleanse of my system. I think its a great idea for anyone to limit the amount of animal products and processed foods they put in their body and that should be the main motivator, if anything. For me, I find that if I dont eat enough protein, I will not lose weight and i dont have any energy. I found that I was eating too much soy product in order to get the protein I needed to maintain. Its for that reason I started eating small amounts of meat again and dairy. I hope you find what works for you the best.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Well...parden me for pointing out that I've read a lot of "I thinks" in this thread. Those that claim meat is necessary for a balanced diet are full of, well, blarney! They are not taking all the hormones and antibiotics used in the meat industry, nor the fact that many of the so called "organic" raised animals are still sent to the same slaughterhouses into account. Additionally, you would not believe the junk that is contained in animal feed. There is excellent, and scientifically cited, research in support of a vegan diet and would recommend you do your own research before making a decision. If you're up for some reading, I recommend The China Study. Further, I would recommend the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine site (www.pcrm.org) for a plethora of completed research.

I didn't see anyone suggest meat was necessary. Meat is not harmful, whatever you may think. Did you suppose vegetables you didn't grow yourself from heirloom seeds don't also have "modern" problems? It is neither necessary nor sufficient for good health to follow a vegan diet. You can have an unhealthy vegan diet and a healthy omnivorous diet.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Further, I would recommend the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine site (www.pcrm.org) for a plethora of completed research.
    If you're interested in info from a fanatical animal rights group that seeks to remove eggs, milk, meat and seafood from the American diet, and to eliminate the use of animals in scientific research, that's the best place to go to.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The China Study has been debunked over and over again.

And what about all of the horrible things farmers can do to their plants? Pesticides (even organic pesticides,) genetic modification, toxins in the dirt, toxins in irrigation, etc.
  • FitLink
    Options

Well, I took the time to check out thePCRM's website. I didn't find any peer-reviewed research there. What do you mean by "scientifically cited?" Usually, valid scientific findings are published in established journals that are peer-reviewed. You know, like "Nature" or "The New England Journal of Medicine?" Everything there is self-published. As for the China Study, it appears not have been published in a peer reviewed journal either, and it's website appears mostly to be trying to sell books. One quote in particular caught my attention; "Drawing on the project findings in rural China, but going far beyond those findings, The China Study details the connection between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes and cancer." Ordinarily it's not considered scientifically valid to "go beyond" your experimental results.

This simply isn't "proof" of anything.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Any diet can be unhealthy

Veg*n and meat eaters and both can be snobby and defensive about their preferred diet.

Also, you don’t need animal products to reach your iron and b-12 needs. B-12 comes from the soil and veg*n can supplement or just sprinkle delicious nutritional yeast flakes on food. Iron is NOT hard to obtain on a vegan diet….tis a myth. I am just addressing what I have read in this thread.

My 2 cents.
  • FitLink
    Options

Veg*n and meat eaters and both can be snobby and defensive about their preferred diet.

Also, you don’t need animal products to reach your iron and b-12 needs. B-12 comes from the soil and veg*n can supplement or just sprinkle delicious nutritional yeast flakes on food. Iron is NOT hard to obtain on a vegan diet….tis a myth. I am just addressing what I have read in this thread.

My 2 cents.

Well, to sum up, the OP, after considering it for all of 2 days, is planning to become vegan because it's better for maintaining weight. It's non-trivial to get adequate nutrition on a vegan diet, and simply BEING vegan doesn't make it healthier than a diet including meat. The OP can just as easily maintain weight on a healthy omnivorous diet, and choosing vegan because you believe it's automatically healthier or easier to maintain weight on, is simply not valid. I've seen two "snobby and defensive" vegans on this thread. I haven't seen any "snobby and defensive" omnivores. Why? Omnivores KNOW an omnivorous OR vegan diet can be healthy OR unhealthy. The two vegans mentioned don't seem to know it's possible to have an unhealthy vegan diet and/or a healthy omnivorous diet.

BTW, BOTH of these studies seem to disagree with you on B12. They both seem to indicate that vegans CAN get enough B12 but only through supplementation. One also indicates possible deficiencies of Vitamin D and calcium barring supplementation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22493163
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279075

My only point here is that the OP needs to do a lot of research before embarking on this dramatically different (for the OP) way of eating, to ensure proper nutrition. Two days consideration isn't enough.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    For those who are not familiar with what the term vegan means -- it simply means a person who does not consume any animal products what so ever.

So it's not someone from the same planet as Spock?? :laugh: :laugh: :noway:

Spock is from Vulvan, not Vega.

I totally read Vulva instead of Vulcan.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    For those who are not familiar with what the term vegan means -- it simply means a person who does not consume any animal products what so ever.

So it's not someone from the same planet as Spock?? :laugh: :laugh: :noway:

Spock is from Vulvan, not Vega.

I totally read Vulva instead of Vulcan.
    Probably because the person wrote "Vulvan".
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am not telling anybody what to do NOR did I state that being vegan automatically means a healthier diet.

I am talking in general that veg*ns and omnivores can be snobby and defensive. I have seen in real life and on these forums.

There are many foods that vegans eat that are fortified with b-12 and as I stated, nutritional yeast flakes (there are 2 types...one is fortified with b-12).

Omnivores are getting their b-12 through animals because of what the animal ate....veg*ns can easily get their b-12 through fortified products. It is a non issue if you pay attention to what you are eating.

Calcium and vitamin D...you don't need to supplement but can if you aren't getting enough....that is with any diet. Many foods for veg*ns are fortified with vitamin D just as food for omnivores. Calcium....green leafy vegetables, tofu, tahini and fortified foods. It isn't an issue. One must make informed choices....no matter the diet.

I didn't suggest anyone changing their diet. I was just making some observations from things being posted in the thread.

Why you chose to put words in my mouth or twist what I was saying, I have no clue...that is on you.

My 2 cents.

Well, to sum up, the OP, after considering it for all of 2 days, is planning to become vegan because it's better for maintaining weight. It's non-trivial to get adequate nutrition on a vegan diet, and simply BEING vegan doesn't make it healthier than a diet including meat. The OP can just as easily maintain weight on a healthy omnivorous diet, and choosing vegan because you believe it's automatically healthier or easier to maintain weight on, is simply not valid. I've seen two "snobby and defensive" vegans on this thread. I haven't seen any "snobby and defensive" omnivores. Why? Omnivores KNOW an omnivorous OR vegan diet can be healthy OR unhealthy. The two vegans mentioned don't seem to know it's possible to have an unhealthy vegan diet and/or a healthy omnivorous diet.

BTW, BOTH of these studies seem to disagree with you on B12. They both seem to indicate that vegans CAN get enough B12 but only through supplementation. One also indicates possible deficiencies of Vitamin D and calcium barring supplementation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22493163
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279075

My only point here is that the OP needs to do a lot of research before embarking on this dramatically different (for the OP) way of eating, to ensure proper nutrition. Two days consideration isn't enough.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 30 years and vegan off an on. I'm pretty solidly vegan now. I think it's the healthiest way to eat in the world.

If you're saying that in vegan vs omnivorous, vegan is always healthier, you're plain and simple wrong. I can eat a totally vegan junk food diet and a totally healthy diet including animal products. YOUR diet may be healthy, but there's nothing intrinsically more healthy about simply being vegan.

If you're getting fat and unhealthy on a vegan diet then you're doing it very wrong. Of course when I say vegan I don't mean junk food vegan.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 30 years and vegan off an on. I'm pretty solidly vegan now. I think it's the healthiest way to eat in the world.

If you're saying that in vegan vs omnivorous, vegan is always healthier, you're plain and simple wrong. I can eat a totally vegan junk food diet and a totally healthy diet including animal products. YOUR diet may be healthy, but there's nothing intrinsically more healthy about simply being vegan.

If you're getting fat and unhealthy on a vegan diet then you're doing it very wrong. Of course when I say vegan I don't mean junk food vegan.
    But that was the point. ANY diet can be healthy or unhealthy. Vegan diet is no more healthy or unhealthy than any other diet.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

But that was the point. ANY diet can be healthy or unhealthy. Vegan diet is no more healthy or unhealthy than any other diet.

Yes it is. Omnivores have higher rates of diabetes, obesity, and heart disease than vegans. The fact that you can eat a bad vegan diet doesn't change that.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Vegan diet and junk food diet are not mutually exclusive. Why do people act like they are?
  • janola02
    janola02 Posts: 4
    Options
    I went vegan. It was the worst thing I ever did. Humans are made to eat meat. We are natural hunter gathers. Sure factory farming is not good. Buy grass fed then.

The China Study was one of the biggest hoaxes.

Eat fats. Reduce fat products only remove fats to increase carbs. Fats don't make you fat. Even whole grain products aren't natural. stick to fruits, vegetables, fats, and protein and you will not get fat. Skip the processed stuff.

Eat like this and you won't even be hungry or have to eat 8 times a day, etc.
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    My mum, her partner, my uncle, his wife, his son, and my nan are all vegan. They are some of the healthiest people I know and cook the loveliest food. You can make sure you get everything you need, and lots of food is fortified now. My uncle adds vecon to soups, chillis, curries etc. as it has vitamin b12, and adds lots of flavour :)

It's something I'd love to do eventually but not in the right place at the moment. Good luck with whatever you decide, it is a great choice though if you do go for it.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    No.