Dating Websites....Your thoughts please.

Options
Ephena
Ephena Posts: 615 Member
So I'm a single mom (2 kids) and I think I'm ready to finally hit the dating scene outside my favorite bar :laugh: . Not looking for anything serious at this time but I want to get out and meet new people. Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated on what websites you've used, heard about, will never use again, etc....

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have never met more hypersensitive, pansy *kitten* guys in my life. I would rather stay single for the rest of my life than to meet another guy online.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I think they are funny and kinda sad. Especially the one that just came out that is exclusively for farmers.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    when I used one, my main rule was if they mentioned sex before the second date, they were nixed. Also if they didn't have kids ans said "I love kids!" uhhh no.

edit: you have to sift through to losers to find your diamond...
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've used OkCupid and POF in the recent past. And if I could make one simple request: Do not upload angle pics! I've fallen victim to it three times now, and it's incredibly frustrating. Be honest and open and really specify exactly what you're looking for to get the best results.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have met some nice guys and I have met some jerks on POF. I am actually currently seeing a guy I met on POF since Jan. So I can say I have had some good luck. I was on match.com - eh wasnt feeling that, and just too broke to pay for eharmony.

You just have to take the good with the bad. If there are things you are interested in and not just dating, try meetup.com. I have heard some good things about that.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had great success after many failures on POF. Going away to celebrate our two year anniversary next month :-) Good luck to you!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I found my current bf on OkCupid, and he turned out to be the love of my life :heart:

I've had tons of mixed experiences on Match, OkCupid, and PoF....my rules were always to speak with them for a week or more before meeting in person (through text AND phone), always meet in daylight in a public place, and to let a friend or family member know where I would be (as well as some info about the guy I was meeting...phone number etc) just in case...

Although most people I met didn't lead to long term relationships, a few of them did, and plenty of others resulted in good friendships! :) I say give it a try...
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I tried OKC and POF.

Never met anybody off of OKC.. went on tons of dates via POF and met my boyfriend of 2 weeks on there.
    :blushing:
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    My husband and I are an eHarmony couple. We will be married 8 years this summer, so I am all for it! Worked for us, and my sister met her husband on a Christian single's site. Good luck!
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I say try it. From what I understand they can be kind of expensive, but it might be worth it to be able to fit it into your schedule. Also, you can learn a little about the other person before you meet them, and you don't have to waste a bunch of time finding out all those little details that might not come out right at the start in a normal dating situation.

Good Luck!
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    I met my husband on Okcupid.com. I really liked online dating, especially with kids. Good luck!!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I tried POF, and had a great time with it. One of my good (male) friends met his fiancee there as well. Another friend did OK Cupid and she liked that as well.

It's going to depend on what you're looking for...and I agree with what one of the other posters said - you gotta weed through the guys who are just looking for a quick hook up, or a couch to crash on.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I used eHarmony when I had a discount code, and found it to be a huge amount of time invested just to get to a stage where you could talk to a person. I don't believe their system is all that accurate in determining chemistry and potential dating success.

On the other hand, I have used Plenty of Fish, which is a free website. Not only is it entertaining, but you get to talk with a lot more people and decide who you feel compatible with. Yes...lots of guys were duds and not a match, but I met a guy I love a year ago and we're going strong. Just don't be too nervous or make a big deal about first dates...they aren't the end of the world (although my nerves would have said otherwise) lol.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Personally I think dating sites are a sham.

I met my husband online, but not on those.

I was playing a game online and it has the chat box for your opponents.

He was cool after playing several games we added eachother on AIM (yeah old school-ish)

then myspace, then started talking on the phone, then video chats, and then met up in person after 2 years

and it just took off from there. Although we were complete opposites it just meshed well. :)

Everytime we see the eharmony commercials we laugh and say ya know if we had been on there we probably wouldnt have found eachother. lol.

So online dating yes... using a dating site no.
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    I say try it. From what I understand they can be kind of expensive

There are plenty of free websites, I DO NOT recommend eharmony. Try it out for free at plenty of fish or okcupid
  • jmatney79
    jmatney79 Posts: 80
    Options
    I have been married for 12 years, so meeting online was rare when I was dating. I heard a lot about POF, and my sister met her husband on hotornot.com.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Haven't used any personally but definitely would if I was still single. My girlfriend has had a lot of luck with PoF.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've used OkCupid and POF in the recent past. And if I could make one simple request: Do not upload angle pics! I've fallen victim to it three times now, and it's incredibly frustrating. Be honest and open and really specify exactly what you're looking for to get the best results.

How does one 'fall victim' to photos?
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on OKcupid and we've been together for a year and a half. I of course had some bad experiences, but sometimes it goes well! :) Just be honest and know what you're looking for!

Most of all - have fun!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on OkCupid. Actually a lot of my friends are on there, and a couple of them have had success as well. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year and I couldn't be happier.

I think the key is to be picky who you respond to... I would get at least 5 messages from guys every single day and didn't respond to most. This way I only ended up ever talking to/meeting people who were actually good for me. One of my friends, on the other hand, talks to a ton of different people and goes out with a lot of them and it never works out. I think it's just like dating in real life; if you're not picky and just settle for anyone who contacts you won't have much luck.

I had an overall good experience in my time on OkCupid (talked to a few different guys and briefly dated one other before my current boyfriend). It is definitely a good way to meet new people. Good luck!