Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I just wonder why/how when someone completes their diary for the day they get positive comments ie, good going, well done. when no-one can see what they have eaten. I'm all for giving postive comments on exercising, progress etc but I can't on a closed diary. Thats all folks.

<stands back and waits for the next on-slaught> :noway:

Sometime the good going and well done are simply for them hitting the complete button. I think some of us have too many friends and don't take the time to get to know the people on our list. I tried to keep my list small so I know that a particular friend may have some issues with food or whatever. Knowing this dictates my comments. I am a computer person. I am constantly at my desk on the computer or on my phone. Therefore, it is easy for me to log every single thing at that precise moment. For others it is too much of a task to recall or enter everything at a particular time.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I only allow my friends to view mine, why? Because I like it that way.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Its none of your business what I'm eating.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have said before...you supporting me does not mean you have to know everything I put in my mouth! Tell me to make good choices encourage me to exercise! I have had too MANY people make mean nasty self righteous comments to me over the years! So I decided then I will make my own decisions...if bad then I need to look at me in mirror...no one else!

this is one of the reasons i love you lol i feel the same way
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I keep my closed after some a**holes messaged me regarding one of my high days. I do something similar to cycling so I have high/low days.

Someone on here said that keeping it private "defeats the purpose". Seriously? The purpose is for me to be accountable to myself and assist in my efforts to be healthy.

My support system shouldn't depend on whether or not I have an open diary.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just wonder why/how when someone completes their diary for the day they get positive comments ie, good going, well done. when no-one can see what they have eaten. I'm all for giving postive comments on exercising, progress etc but I can't on a closed diary. Thats all folks.

<stands back and waits for the next on-slaught> :noway:

Then delete those friends like another poster did, if it bothers you that much.

As people stated here there are a million reasons for why diaries are closed...and you need to learn to respect that.

Maybe people just have more faith in others that they are doing a good job... and maybe you should learn to be like those people.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person. If you are a private person, generally it will be kept closed. Not that you are so secretive that you are trying to bother others, you just like to keep some things to yourself.

Sometimes I feel like if the person is the opposite, they share their diary, and many other things. I had one that would share every little detail of every movement she made. Things that were very personal with her and her husband. It goes the opposite too. Maybe there's a little too much sharing made. ha (I'm not saying that everyone who shares their diary is like this at all.)

I have been thinking about sharing my diary as I'm getting to know my friends so much more. I think private people don't really open themselves up at first. It's nothing personal, just like to get to know someone before sharing personal things. I'm not trying to lose weight, just trying to up my protein/less carbs. So I guess if someone read my diary and saw that I went over, they might feel the need to tell me, but for me I'm more concerned about eating better vs going over. I do like to watch the amount of calories I'm eating, but if I go over a little and still had a good day of eating, more protein, etc. then I call it good.

Also if I eat something I shouldn't, I pretty much know it wasn't a good choice. You can kind of figure that out on your own. Now, if it was someone who is just starting out and has no idea how or what to do about what they eat then I would say have your diary open to ask for suggestions. We are all in this together, whether we need to lose 100 pounds, a few pounds, or just trying to eat more healthy. I don't think it's wrong to have your diary open or closed. There aren't any rules about that. :)
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I rather spend my calories as i want (sometimes i do go to mcdonalds and spend all my calories there :) ).
    But i really dont care if any one see it or not, as long as im below the calorie intake. But when im above, i get sad and i dont feel comfortable with my self.
    Ok...it would be helpful also to know how to unlock the thing...
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Reading thru most of these and feel fortunate that nobody has sent or posted nasty things about my diary (which is open to friends). Or perhaps they do say 'nice nasty' things and I just don't take it that way.

If someone did say something truly offending, they would just get booted and I would keep my diary open to the remainder of my friends.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is here for support though. Some people are here only to track their calories and log their exercise.

Agree. But it's such a great support system they should be using it fully.

What? That's quite the assumption about what I need. There are other ways to gain a support system. And frankly, sometimes this one sucks.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But you're right, I am assuming. By the time a person decides to track every single calorie on a public internet site, it's probably safe to assume, even if only a little, that they are looking for some type of extra support they didn't find anywhere else.
    Nope. Maybe the online tracking tools are just a bit easier than tracking on paper. That's why many people use MFP. I don't need the "support" of strangers.

says someone with 500 posts...
    Yep. I never ask questions. I have very few "friends." Not looking to add any. My post are responding to the questions of others.

Real support is from people I know and can depend on.
  • Symphonic_Silence
    Options
    I'm recording what I eat daily for my diabetic nurse so we can work together to help control my blood sugar; which is nobody elses' business but mine and hers.

I don't find it pointless to keep it private; I find it helps me stay on track.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yep. I never ask questions. I have very few "friends." Not looking to add any. My post are responding to the questions of others.

Real support is from people I know and can depend on.

:) I agree that not everyone is here looking for support. Last time, when I lost the first 30lbs, I NEVER looked at the forums. I was here just to log my calories and honestly this site is one of the easier tools to use for that.
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    I keep my closed after some a**holes messaged me regarding one of my high days. I do something similar to cycling so I have high/low days.

Someone on here said that keeping it private "defeats the purpose". Seriously? The purpose is for me to be accountable to myself and assist in my efforts to be healthy.

My support system shouldn't depend on whether or not I have an open diary.
    ^^^^^ what she said!^^^^^
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Some are here just for themselves, to use the calorie tracker function, not to get criticized on their food choices. Yes the community aspect is great, but not for everyone.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    I have mine closed because I see way too many people *****ing out other peoples diaries
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I enjoy getting feedback and giving it. And getting meal ideas as well.

Someone could be eating under their calorie goal with 5 Krispy Kreme's for all I know, and that wouldn't be worth a "congratulations."

There is also a whole new layer of accountability when you know other people will look at it! It helps you to make the right food decisions throughout the day.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to only those I have friended. I don't care really who looks through my diary, but I just prefer it that way. No real reason... but I wouldn;t be too concerned about others.. I do agree that its nice to see what others are eating ( maybe to get a viewpoint of other things you can incorperate into your own diet).. but, some people look through your diary and pick apart every little possible thing...can be annoying.
  • CarrieT27
    CarrieT27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, I like to see what other people are eating for ideas!! Not to judge at all, I have had my bad days, and it looks bad but whats the point of lying? If you have an open diary and want another friend, please add me, mine's wide open! =)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have closed diaries but i refuse to comment on their day's. I am not going to say 'yay your under calorie goal' if i dont know your not eating like 300 calories a day. this is about being healthy, not losing weight on junk food and/or starving yourself. I refuse to be a part of that. I also wont comment on friends who have their diary open, but after their exercise, they've eaten a net calories of like 800 or less.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Some of the recent posts have reminded me of something. I DON'T want people cheering me on every day because of what I ate (which is why I turned off diary updates in my feed). I do like encouragement when it comes to exercise and I love feedback when I've managed to actually lose something but I don't care to have people whooting at my diary every day. That's just not necessary for me.