Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is here for support though. Some people are here only to track their calories and log their exercise.

Agree. But it's such a great support system they should be using it fully.

What? That's quite the assumption about what I need. There are other ways to gain a support system. And frankly, sometimes this one sucks.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But you're right, I am assuming. By the time a person decides to track every single calorie on a public internet site, it's probably safe to assume, even if only a little, that they are looking for some type of extra support they didn't find anywhere else.
    Nope. Maybe the online tracking tools are just a bit easier than tracking on paper. That's why many people use MFP. I don't need the "support" of strangers.

says someone with 500 posts...
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I also find that people can make snarky comments...we are all here because we struggle...keep the snarks away!!! I'm vegan and people get very offended by my food/lifestyle choices.

ohhh, what are you, the vegan police?! Hey vegan, go eat some meat! ...i'm bad at this
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    personal preference...privacy...their own business.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    It's not anyone's business WHAT I eat as long as I'm staying within my calorie goal!!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's not anyone's business WHAT I eat as long as I'm staying within my calorie goal!!

What are you embarrassed of/offended by though? Unless you know people are going to say what you're eating is unhealthy.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Personal choice I guess?
    I think mine is only open to my friends. I value what they have to say about my intake but do not necessarily won't any old person having a look to make a comment.
  • AyanaSan
    AyanaSan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who keep theirs closed, and it doesn't bother me much. That's THEIR choice. I personally like seeing what others are eating for ideas. My diary is open for the same reason, however if someone were to make negative comments about what I eat there would definitely be problem. I do a pretty good job at "policing" myself and I don't need that sort of feedback.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What are you embarrassed of/offended by though? Unless you know people are going to say what you're eating is unhealthy.

It's my body. I own it. It has nothing to do with you.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm just afraid of asking for diet advice and then people seeing that I start my day with whiskey...

lol I love this!!!
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Why do you assume it has to be embarrassment? I'm not any more interested in getting positive comments about healthy choices than I am in getting negative ones about unhealthy ones (or ones others might decide aren't good).
  • Sandy2012x
    Sandy2012x Posts: 8
    Options
    I keep mine closed. 1) because I don't choose to share and mfp gives me that option lol 2) i love keeping a small personal diary under the food comment diary section that is for my eyes only :)
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Mine is open now... to my friends on here. But when I had it closed in the beginning it was for a few reasons: 1 . I was too lazy to put in the actual foods and was doing a lot of quick add cals since I was the only one seeing it. 2. My weight loss has been going good "so far" and I was worried people would duplicate my foods choices... which wouldnt be half that bad, but I wasn't proud of everything I had eaten and didnt want the responsibility. 3. Also there are some people that pick apart peoples diaries and I didn't want anyones negativity to get to me and get me off track...

After many requests to see it I finally decided to open it... to my friends only. Keeps me more accountable of my food decisions/exercise cals... and proves I am not starving myself to lose the weight, but just making better food choices..
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Because I got tired of people feeling like they could comment on stuff like my water intake( I don't log it), commenting how it's so much food (well yeah, I'm bulking and finding what works for me), and stuff like how eggs are 'bad' for you. I log for my purposes of keeping up with my macros and calories, not for others to analyze. I know what I should be eating and I eat clean majority of the time.
    I just don't see the benefit either. People post 'way to go' on diaries that are at 800 or some insanely low calorie number... Half the time I'm wondering if people even look at the diary before giving their congrats. Haha. I have reopened mine to my friends though.

Not everybody logs on here for the help or critique of others. It's just a convienient way to log food quickly and keep track of what you have to work with. I do understand the reasoning behind those who do like having their diary commented on or seeing other's but it is not for everybody.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary as a private record.. not to get messages about why im eating less, or you should eat more of this, or less of that.

^^This and I also went into settings to stop the "..completed their diary..." and the one that states how many days I have logged in being posted in the news feed. Just my personal preferences.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have said before...you supporting me does not mean you have to know everything I put in my mouth! Tell me to make good choices encourage me to exercise! I have had too MANY people make mean nasty self righteous comments to me over the years! So I decided then I will make my own decisions...if bad then I need to look at me in mirror...no one else!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    no not doing it...folks think they mean well but say nice nasty things
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm on MFP mainly for the forums, Success Stories, especially, and I've never been able to count calories without getting overly obsessive about them. I know a lot of people can do it effectively--evidence: all of y'all!--but I personally can't without it getting to my head to the point of it becoming unhealthy. So I don't update my diary and have no reason to share it. I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible without making it seem like a chore or obsession, and this attempt at self-control will hopefully pay off in the long run.
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with privacy?? My diary was closed when I signed up...never thought about opening it...and I have plenty of support.

You feel uncomfortable supporting a member because you can't see what they are eating? Very interesting!
    I truly don't get why some individuals worry about things that have absolutely nothing to do with their own success.
    Just what I was thinking too, very well said!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My diary is public because I find it does wonders for my accountability, personally. I prefer having friends with open diaries, partly because I get bored with the same type of foods and like to see what other people are eating. And yeah, sometimes I question people who are eating 900 calories day in, day out. But I still have friends with closed diaries. Maybe I just chose all awesome friends, but I don't get stupid comments like 'eggs are bad' or whatnot on my diary, and if someone tells me I should drink more water, I don't take it personally and I let them know that I just don't like to log water. I'm harder on myself than any of my MFP friends are anyway. And I assume that my friends with open diaries don't mind the odd suggestion, and if they do they will let me know otherwise, and that is A-OK with me.

Take it or leave it, or find new friends with open diaries only if it bothers you so much.
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just wonder why/how when someone completes their diary for the day they get positive comments ie, good going, well done. when no-one can see what they have eaten. I'm all for giving postive comments on exercising, progress etc but I can't on a closed diary. Thats all folks.

<stands back and waits for the next on-slaught> :noway: