Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So DNL is pretty common in humans?

I would have to read more to know if it's "common" but it certainly exists.......

http://www.ajcn.org/content/48/2/240.abstract

"Glycogen storage capacity in man is approximately 15 g/kg body weight and can accommodate a gain of approximately 500 g before net lipid synthesis contributes to increasing body fat mass. When the glycogen stores are saturated, massive intakes of carbohydrate are disposed of by high carbohydrate- oxidation rates and substantial de novo lipid synthesis (150 g lipid/d using approximately 475 g CHO/d) without postabsorptive hyperglycemia."

That study took it to excess but demonstrates the mechanism - eat an excess of carbohydrates over your energy burn when your glycogen tank is full and it'll be turned into fat for later consumption.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Hellerstein concluded that *net* DNL was insignificant, as he was using respiratory gas analysis which can only determine the net lipogenesis ( minus oxidation ) and not the flux of fat production per se.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/73/2/253.long used a different analytical technique and studied both lean and obese subjects who were fed a high carb meal with energy content 40% of their TDEE (1.2 * BMR, sedentary in a lab).

They found DNL was higher in obese subjects after eating than in lean subjects, but both had DNL before and after the meal. The DNL rate was exceeded by fat oxidation. " a carbohydrate load produced a fat-sparing effect more pronounced than in lean men and so a less negative fat balance than in lean men"

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8621798 also found DNL in high carb / low fat diet but went on to publishwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9537610 which found much less of an effect with complex carbs :-

" In conclusion, an increase in fatty acid synthesis and palmitaterich, linoleate-poor VLDL-triacylglycerol induced by very-low-fat, high-sugar diets may be reduced by the substitution of dietary starch for sugar with potentially beneficial effects on cardiovascular health."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I used to live on pizza and burgers (on buns) and ice cream and Little Debbie Snacks, I was a size 3 and I didn't even try.

Those darned carbs.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh and not everyone wants to hear the way you diet. Your diet may not work for everyone else. Everyone's body is different, and reacts differently to certain things. So don't say he didn't want to listen to what you had to say . Because in reality , you are all putting him down , being sarcastic & acting childish. This ruined my whole night ! THANKS!!!!
    Wah wah wah!

Did you even read the whole thread? When someone tried to debate with OP, he pretty much shut them down and then left the thread.

These forums are meant for debating.. and if you don't like it, then remove yourself.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This should be interesting.

Agreed. *Pulls up a chair with a plate of bacon*
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This should be interesting.

he he he
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Carbs make you fat
    Protein makes you fat
    Fat makes you fat

If you eat too many calories then what your body burns you will get fat lets not blame carbs, proteins or fats blame how much you eat which over time is what makes you fat.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

Tell me in your own words how carbs make you fat?

No offense man, but I am not here to play gotcha game. I could throw this right back in your court and say tell me in your own words how fat makes you fat.

I am just posting a news report that I happen to agree with. Not you, but it seems many people get their panties all in a bunch if someone comes out against the typical standard nutritional diet. There is science to back up both theories. Are we that closed minded to fully shut out the whole low carb thing?

Here it is the classic I'm going to make a false argument for you and make you argue against it...

ACG never said fat makes you fat. So, why are you asking that question? Because you don't want to answer his.
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    I think Michael Pollan sums it up pretty well... regardless of your diet - vegetarian, vegan, meatatarian...

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants"

Now... can we all just agree to disagree and be friends?
  • lilojoke
    Options
    I think Michael Pollan sums it up pretty well... regardless of your diet - vegetarian, vegan, meatatarian...

Now... can we all just agree to disagree and be friends?

Absolutely!
  • rml_16
    Options

That is the one and only "diet" I have ever agreed with or bothered to follow. Common sense.
  • lilojoke
    Options

That is the one and only "diet" I have ever agreed with or bothered to follow. Common sense.

Umm common sense is eating only plants? Ok... :D
  • rml_16
    Options

Do you see words that aren't there?
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kate_sunflower
    Options

Do you see words that aren't there?

Yup! Because there are other rules! It's a great book - called "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan. Highly recommended. It'll cover the other stuff no worries :wink:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I say to let the OP say what he wishes. He really is just trying to help others. If you don't agree with him (and I am not sure if I do), then go on your own way. I, personally do not eat a lot of carbs. And, the only breads I will eat are whole grain.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Weird.. the title spelled "happy" wrong...
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    oh, it's this thread again.
  • Merrysea
    Merrysea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as Celiac 3 years ago. So carbs (wheat oats rye barley....etc) made me sick and when I cut out the gluten free carbs now, I loose weight... I just see that my body doesnt need the carbs. from bread, pasta. which are not so good to eat any way if you are gluten free. but I love the carbs from vegetables.. Kumara and potato and corn on the cob!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Weird.. the title spelled "happy" wrong...

LMAO
This discussion has been closed.