Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i love us
  • Blondeweightloss
    Options
    How I see it, any thing processed be it carbs or protein or whatever, has to be bad for you. Natural foods like fruit, veg, meat (organic if possible) is much healthier and beneficial to you.
    So the debate goes on and even after we are all dead and buried there will still be food debates, but at the end of the day if we listened to them all we would starve to death. We have to make our own choices and what works for us and listen to our own bodies, if we are feeling sluggish or gaining weight we need to look at the foods we are eating, if we feel amazing and our skin and hair are great then we are doing something right. Each to their own I say and as long as you are happy and healthy I am sure that 'natural' carbs will only benefit you. Listen to YOUR body and not what these so called 'experts' try and push our way.
    I have lost and gained all my life (once losing 112 pounds in 9 months and regaining it all back plus some by eating processed junk) so I kind of know first hand what works and what doesn't work. Life is short enough we don't want to shorten it more, so I say common sense and plenty of fresh foods be it carbs or not and a 'little' of what you fancy now and then is the path to good health. I have been living this way for the last 7 weeks now and have dropped 34lbs (without exercise as I have just had spinal surgery) so I must be doing something right for the first time in years :)
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

Tell me in your own words how carbs make you fat?

No offense man, but I am not here to play gotcha game. I could throw this right back in your court and say tell me in your own words how fat makes you fat.

I am just posting a news report that I happen to agree with. Not you, but it seems many people get their panties all in a bunch if someone comes out against the typical standard nutritional diet. There is science to back up both theories. Are we that closed minded to fully shut out the whole low carb thing?

So in other words you have no idea how carbs supposedly make you fat, you're just jumping on the latest fear mongering bandwagon

Carbs turn into glucose, in another words sugar and that is the first thing your body will use to turn into energy and if you are not burning enough it will keep it as fat tissue. If you eat low carbs, and your body burned it all ans still needs energy , it will automatically go to fat in your body to burn. The only carbs we should be eating are the healthy carbs from fruits and veggies, but even that should be eating before 5 or 6 pm and not after, since the metabolism is slowing down
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    golly gosh guys and gals.......... just do what works for you!

Agree. We all are different and like different diets
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    golly gosh guys and gals.......... just do what works for you!

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lakesideretirement
    Lakesideretirement Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Go PRIMAL (caveman style). Meats, healthy fats (coconut oil rules!) and lots and lots of veggies. Cavemen didn't have grains to eat!
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Go PRIMAL (caveman style). Meats, healthy fats (coconut oil rules!) and lots and lots of veggies. Cavemen didn't have grains to eat!

YES! I was hoping someone would say this! *Grabs spear* Who's with me?!?
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    no matter what this guy had to say, he was just looking for a discussion not a beating. Your all too harsh on him.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Meh
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I am on a ketogenic diet (low carb, high fat). I don't think low carb is for everyone, but for someone like me, who is (surprisingly) healthy otherwise - ie, no high cholesterol, blood pressure, etc - and cannot lose weight other ways, low carb IS an effective way to lose weight.

Yes, body builders eat carbs. They would have to; their bodies don't have enough fat to use as a sustainable source of energy. It isn't carbs that make you fat, it's too many carbs that make you fat. Too much of anything isn't good for you. What works for one, won't work for another, might work for person three, but person four might gain twenty pounds. It really all comes down to what caused you to gain weight to begin with. I got fat because I kept putting processed crap in my mouth. Over and over. So my <20 carbs might seem extreme to some, but I'm trying to re-teach my body how to appropriately use its resources to stay healthy in the long term.

So, yeah. Carbs definitely make you fat. Fat totally makes you fat. Too much of anything will make you fat. Our bodies weren't meant for the easy diets of today and so, a whole damn lot of people are fat. :P
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Hmm..
    Well I love carbs and eat approx 200-250g a day. I'm losing weight still and am very happy with my progress.

I guess if low carb works for you then great, but I won't be doing it anytime soon - I love my pasta FAR too much! :drinker:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Well that's mean of them.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I do believe there is some truth to it! I have lost 30 pounds, but I hardly lost my belly fat. I just bought a book about how wheat products affect wheat your belly fat. I think there could be some truth to how it affects belly fat. I had cut down on fat period and didn't help my belly fat. So, I am trying this to see what happens.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Let's see:

Zyzz ate carbs

zyzz2.jpg

Zyzz also died of a (I believe?) heart attack at 22 and was a heavy ecstasy user and steroid abuser! MDMA suppresses appetite like no other so obviously he would have little fat!

U mirin? Haha I had to...
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a baker's yeast allergy so bread and other processed stuff does actually not work with my system and causes allergic reactions and weight gain, but fruits and veggies not a problem. Also, don't tell me about "healthy wholegrain breads" because I am severely allergic to sunflower oil i.e epipen carrier. I think maybe the OP should have defined "carbs" better.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Too many calories are making you fat.

FR0019.gif
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you as long as it works for you! When I was 25, low fat (20g per day) was my thing. Then, in my early 30's, I had great success with Atkins. It helped me get to my lowest adult weight (strict 20-30g carbs per day) and stay there for about 2 years (indulging in carbs on the weekends, but never keeping them at home). But, since potatoes are my favorite food, and I don't want to live a life of deprivation, it's just not a viable life-long solution for me. Now, managing calorie budget where nothing is completely off-limits is working for me.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options

YES! I was hoping someone would say this! *Grabs spear* Who's with me?!?
    I'd rather get fat, die young and see human species die out in a mean time as a bunch of weak sissies than give up bread and chocolate :). so, yeah, count me out (those cavemen didn't know what they were missing)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I gather from this that to lose weight I should avoid carbs.

Oh no, wait, to lose weight I should eat carbs.

Oh no, wait...

To heck with it, I'll eat what I want and just try to burn more than I take in. Seems to be working so far.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif
This discussion has been closed.